Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54' Stock 235 and powerglide- a/c?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpazTaztic, Jun 2, 2014.

1. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

So all the threads that came up in my searches asked the question, but never got an answer. Would a stock 54' 235 with the powerglide- already converted to 12v with an alt handle one of the vintage air units, or would it draw too much?

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

I seen an ac unit on a 235 at the cruise in a couple years ago but the motor was warmed up abit. had twin carbs and electronic dizzy I believe it was running a s10 5 spd also. guy said he hardly ever used it cause it froze him out. I know that doesn't really answer your question but that's the only one ive ever seen.

3. Snarl

Snarl

It's a question of amp draw. You would want at least an 80 amp, but preferably a 100amp alt and make sure the wiring is sized for it as well. Should probably be using an electric fan on the condenser with a trinary switch so that it kicks in to help keep the AC pressures under control. I make a series of bracketry for the Chevy sixes a well, should you need some brackets for your project.

4. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Thanks guys. Lets me know it can be done!

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My old 60 Chevy was 12v had a 235, generator and a dealer add on underdash ac unit. Dont see why your 54 wouldn't work the same way. Especially with the addition of a good alternator.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Sounds good. This ride isn't going to be a road monster of any kind. Just a cruiser. The a/c would be nice for Texas summers!

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Years ago I bought a dealer installed a/c system out of a 60 Chevy wagon that was powered by a 235 so it must have worked,can not remember if it was a automatic or a stick.

8. Rode many a mile in air conditioned comfort in 47 to 54 Chevys with 216 and 235 engines pulling the old york compressor air conditioners By ARA , Fridge-King , Mark Four, etc under-dash and home engineered set ups! Horror of horrors still was running an old generator? Just don't know how we ever made it with out 100 amp alternators

9. IIRC, most early Chevy allternators were 37 amp and the ones for AC cars were 63 amps, so anywhere 80 and up should be good. The trick is to find all the brackets, etc or go with an after market kit.

10. GaryN

GaryN

Just did this on my '49 P/U with a 261. Had to change over to 3/8" belt pulleys. Don't know how much my alt. puts out (GM 1 wire) but so far so good. Vintage Air supplied it all including engine bkts. from Patricks. I had to buy one 46" belt and one 36" belt. Advance Auto has new water pumps with 3/8" pulley and the crank pulley came from Bob Owens https://www.facebook.com/pages/Owens-Salvage-CoInc/115245821835094.

11. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Thanks everyone- I'm glad this can be done.