Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unfinished Business: A 1951 Mercury Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Doctor Detroit, Nov 6, 2011.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

Looks like it will be beautiful car, I always admire Guys that can build a car from begining into gems. Thanks for info on venders and Merc club. John

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm pretty excited... With the turn of a key and the push of a button, this '51 Merc does something it hasn't done in a quarter century..... It roars to life. With the help of two buddies who have a lot more electrical expertise than I do, we've wired a factory reproduction 6V harness through a modern fuse panel. I've converted the car to 12 volt with a 12V generator, starter, coil, and bulbs/lights. The harness required modification, but it's in good shape now. I'm not able to drive it yet, but I am really glad to have the wiring part behind me. Most of the wiring like battery cables, etc is temporary. Later they will be run through the frame rails since I moved the battery to the trunk, and have put the starter solenoid under up near the starter on the right side (instead of left side as original). Before I can drive it around the block, I need to bleed brakes, hook up the steering arm, adjust the drums, make sure the fuel line isn't leaking, and I'm sure plenty of other small items.

I've also continued to do body work... frenched the headlights, minor rust repair on the fenders, filled in trim holes on the fenders. Originally, I was going to use the factory Merc grille extensions (aka elephant ears), but I've decided to get rid of them and the parking lights. Those holes were filled too. I had to use two different splash panels to create one good one, since each one had it's own issues. I'm in the process of lowering the taillights too, since I won't be using '51 Merc taillights either. I'm going with '51 Lincoln/'51 Monarch taillights that fit into the same sheetmetal hole, but are not as tall. I've installed the exhaust that I fabricated at well. It currently ends just before the rear axle. I have Brockman Mellowtones to add to the exhaust, once I finish the fabrication so it travels over the rear axle to the rear bumper.

I have new glass already sitting here, and new window and door seals/gaskets.

Attached Files:

4. Excellant work friend . I wish mine was that far along at least

5. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Awesome build DD! a wealth of information packed into this build. Can't wait to see the monarch tail lights mounted and lowered.

Posted from the international space station & powered by the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. :DIt comes to me that a Merc that was done in the 50s is seldom ever seen was built by Valley customs and was so sneaky they put a caddy hardtop roof on it and left the body stock
    your ride is a dream of mine also I just never had one. great find and build.

7. Maybe we should do a local Mercury gathering at your shop there Joe. :)

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

John, That would be pretty cool to get the Chicagoland Mercs together... Any Chicagoland customs. It might be something we have to do first thing in the spring... we're running out of time this year.

Yesterday I got the brakes bled, adjusted, parking brake cable installed. Did some front end adjustments to get the alignment close, installed the pitman arm. Once I install the linkage from the column to transmission, this thing just might be ready to move and stop under it's own power. I have to finish up welding on the rear of the car where I am lowering the taillights. After that, I can put gas in the tank and start it, instead of running a rubber hose to a small tank. I don't want to put any gas in, then weld back there after.

9. dsidhu77

dsidhu77

Wow, love the thread! The attention to detail is amazing, everything looks great=)

10. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Updates...
    A photo of my state-of-the art metal fabrication shop, which consists a 3 hammers, 3 dollies, a magnet, a 4 inch round pipe, and an imagination.
    Finished lowering the taillights, eliminated the fuel door, and got my hands on an NOS '50-'51 Merc passenger door. Friggin' amazing this thing has never been mounted in 62 years. Still has the number stamped on it. I also added rear shocks, and included a picture of the box. I have 4" dropped springs plus 2" blocks for a total of 6" lowered in the rear. Gabriel Guardian 82060 is the correct extended and compressed length for this set up.

Attached Files:

11. Silverado85

Silverado85

Super Kool build. Love the under the floor power brake setup and the copper paint. Cheers!

12. Do you have or know of any good write ups on taking the steering column apart? Need to get the column off of the gear box & clean the whole thing up.

Anymore progresss on your Merc?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Sorry, I don't know of any write ups about taking it apart. I used the '49-'51 Merc Chassis manual to see an exploded picture of how it goes together and worked backwards. I pulled the steering box, column, and steering wheel out at one whole unit. I was having trouble getting the steering box disconnected, and the steering wheel disconnected. Turned out it was pretty was pretty easy, I was just doing it wrong. If you PM your email address to me, I can send you some photos of the disassembly of mine if that would help.

14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I've owned my '51 Merc for two weeks short of three years. I believe it had not run or been driven in possibly 30 years. The title from over 20 years ago had the same odometer mileage as when I purchased it, and it was missing an engine and transmission.

My '51 Merc has lived to see another day.
    On the evening of March 31, 2014, I drove my Mercury for the very first time....
    It was awesome.....

15. Nice. Congrats Joe!

16. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Cool beans! Looks great!

Posted while on the run with Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Where did you put your filler neck for the gas tank?

18. iehotrod

iehotrod

Awesome build!

19. That is inspiring. Nice to see such a good build & all the info you have provided us that have Mercs. I have had mine for 10 years now & hope some day I can drive it.

20. qwick68

qwick68

Congrats! Awesome build!

21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

My filler neck is inside the trunk. It comes through the factory hole in the trunk floor. I cut and welded the original filler neck so it wasn't as long, and made it easier to fill from inside the trunk. I have more to do with this, because I'd like to have a small housing around the filler neck and cap to isolate any fuel vapors and prevent them from filling the trunk and/or interior of the car. My battery is also located in the trunk on the opposite side.

22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'll have more pictures, and some other cool stuff, soon....

Thanks for reading my build thread!

23. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

That is my plan as well, I will be looking for help!

24. ettenod

ettenod

How is your search for the tail lights ? I have a 1951 Lincoln 4dr sport sedan not a cosmopolitan. I also need tail lights have you had any luck ? I have a set for the cosmo but there to big, Do you have any ideals on what might work like the mercury I'm not sure which body parts or trim might be interchangeable I would appreciate any help you might have thank you Don Smith Fort Worth Texas.

25. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

The 1951 Lincoln Lido is the small one, and it's almost the same as a Mercury from the cowl back. It has different trim, bumpers, and dash, but I believe it's interchangable. The hood, fenders, and front are different from a Mercury, and I believe the wheelbase is slightly different.

I did find some '51 Lincoln taillights.

26. ettenod

ettenod

Sorry My computer crashed and had to buy new one and get back onto all the sights. Please give me the information on the tail lights.

27. ettenod

ettenod

I don't know that my last reply went through, Did you locate some tail lights for a 51 Baby Lincoln?

28. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

The tail lights your referring to, are the ones that look like the stock 51 Mercury except the look frenched? If they are, I have a set.

ettenod likes this.
  29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

What information are you looking for? The '51 Lincoln Lido lights fit.