Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects early cad motor in a a roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod.heaven, Jun 8, 2014.

1. hotrod.heaven

hotrod.heaven

ok guys, here we go. I just picked up a 1957 cad 365, I found a original 3x2 setup off of a 390 eldo, what all should I do when I rebuild the motor, any tricks I should know? its going in a 1930 ford roadster, traditional build.

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Oh wow where to start. It is a pretty strait forward modern overhead valve engine. Need more info. What trans, what frame. You need to do a lot of HAMB searches. All this has been covered.

I see your pretty close to me. You could come over sometime.

G SANY0004.jpg ary

LOU WELLS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. PackardV8

PackardV8

Shoot me a photo of your oil pump. I've got some NOS Melling Cad V8 oil pump rebuild kits.

jack vines

4. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

Are you using original ignition system? I had problems with new foreign distributor cap on orig Delco diz. Finally adapted a Ford ohv Mallory unit. Works really very well. Have posted on HAMB how to do it. Good luck, fantastic strong motor.

5. hotrod.heaven

hotrod.heaven

I have the original delco, but it would be cool to find a vertex or old Mallory or ???. thanks mike.

6. hotrod.heaven

hotrod.heaven

jack, I am not good at posting pics yet but I do need to rebuild my pump. if it will fit a 365 I am interested. mike.

7. hotrod.heaven

hotrod.heaven

thanks for the reply, what all did you do to your cad motor? thanks, mike.

8. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

You need to look at the m edell thread. Old but full of excellent tech info. I brought it back up on HAMB.
    Cheers Tom

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I was lucky enough to find a new old stock Isky roller tappet cam at LARS a few years ago. Chevy roller tappets fit the Cad. I had adjustable pushrods made. Otherwise it is pretty stock except for the Horne 4 carb. manifold and duel point ignition.
    Parts are still available and sold by some HAMB venders. Hell you can get rebuild kits on ebay.
    The Cad. engine is a pretty easy installation in almost anything American. The starter is on the right, correct side.

10. hotrod.heaven

hotrod.heaven

tom, how do I find that thread on cads? thanks mike.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I spliced in some cloth covered wires to a pertronix unit in the original Delco distributor and the thing works perfectly.

[​IMG]

12. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

Thread by Cadillacin Marcus called Tech Info: Cadillac OHV V8's 1949-1962.
    I think I didn't read yr first post properly. I thought you had a 331. Later ditz cap may be OK.
    Tom.

13. PackardV8

PackardV8

The oil pump rebuild kits I have are Melling K-58 for '56-58 365", so you should be able to use one. PM me and we can work out the details.

jack vines

14. I'd be curious to know what year GM roller lifters fit the Cad. Any mods required?

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know I didn't build the Cad. engine in my roadster. I had a local builder do it as I brought him parts. When I found the new old stock Isky cam at LARS swap I brought it in to him. He wasn't too happy because now he had another problem. To his credit he did find the solution. I'm not sure what year Chevy. rollers he got but I remember he had his supplier send him all the different length connecters (that keep them from spinning) and found one the right length that would work. Wish I had gotten all the details from but by the time he was finished with the engine he and I were hardly talking. I just assumed they are solids because I had adjustable push rods made and adjust them like solids.
    I would be interested too if some Chevy. engine experts could come up with what year and engine they used solid roller tappets. I wouldn't be surprised if all Chevy tappets were the same diameter.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hmmm. Does this mean Chevy rollers would also work in pre '57 .842 lifter olds blocks? Anyone? And Gary, assuming gen1 and mechanical rollers, they are all the same in terms of fitment. There are differences in the tappets themselves between manufacturer, but all interchange.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

George
    This is something that needs to be explored. I wonder if pretty much all GM lifters are the same diameter and can be interchanged.
    Gary

18. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That motor is a tight fit on A rails, but it can be done. :)

With the help of some friends and I bit of looking around the forum, I was able to shoehorn in my 28-9 A Roadster project. Firewall and pedals are tricky. Still working mine out.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As far as the Chevy roller tappets themselves, yes even bb are the same, they are all .842.
    If those tappets will work in a cad with a link bar swap, I would bet they will in the .842 lifter olds blocks as well. IIRC, olds went to a larger lifter in '57, so t would only work in the '49-'56 small lifter bore short deck blocks, but I bet they will. I am planning on a short deck olds in my '39, I was thinking in terms of a flat-tappet cam, but maybe I will explore this.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gary, I'd sure like to know what the original application was for the link bars he used, dollars to donuts the same ones would work in the olds. I've heard you can bore the rocker shaft holes in the olds and use cad shafts with the stude rockers, so odds are, the lifter bore spacing is either very close or the same.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have an idea. I think I can suss this out for my self. If I do, I'll post it.

22. Please do post this stuff as there are many that are interested in this application.

23. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its been 3 yrs, Anybody have any updated info they can add to this thread?

warbird1 likes this.