Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 1959 big fin boat Paint suggestions needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DavetheWave, Jun 7, 2014.

1. DavetheWave

DavetheWave

After lots of work I am close to paint. I dont have an artists mind. Would like some color suggestions. I am thinking of adding some rear brake lights. Any modification ideas?
    1959 Glass Magic Playmaster. I never had a project take so long. It was lost in a flood. ended up at a junkyard. Then it spent another 20 years sitting outside. Three years ago I see this cool finned boat and thought....how hard can it be?

Attached Files:

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I see 59 Caddy tailights in singles twins or triples you know something over the top. How about coral and some other contrasting color? Metalflake twotone ? 57 chev. sidetrim insert ?
    Swanky!

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Kinda reminds me of a '58-59 Plymouth from the side and back.
    I would seek out pictures of those two years Plymouth for ideas!
    Just a thought. KK

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I agree with working in late 50s or early 60s Plymouth taillights. :)

5. ev88f

ev88f

Definitely needs some mopar lights from the same era. How about fins with a nice metal flake and the rest of the boat with a contrasting color?

6. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

I grew up in the 50's going to the Lake and water skiing. Glass boats were getting popular. I remember Turquoise and White looked good. Your choice of Tu-Tone Base Colors would keep it Traditional........... Jeff

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

62 (?) Imperial taillights mounted high and on the inside (safe from getting knocked off at a dock),or if you live right and have all the luck, 58 Mercury (the model with the 1/2 rings). I'd paint the whole top in a pretty sea foam green that borders on turquois, leave the side panel and the bottom white. Tuck n roll green/white seat bolsters, the rest just white, turquois or light green flooring (the astroturf lookin stuff).

58 Merc:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Wej-FS7ddog/TwNZQx_2R2I/AAAAAAAAAWU/w33Kmjj8_qc/s1600/Mercury58.jpg

62 Imperial:
    http://www.moparfins.com/imperial/62_imperial/62_imperial_convertible/Images/819493_10.jpg

8. papajohn

papajohn

What are you towing it with? Would look great behind a big finned, 59 or 60 car with a matching paint job.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

9. DavetheWave

DavetheWave

Attached Files:

10. papajohn

papajohn

Very cool. I would paint the lower hull and trailer frame the same blue as the car. Then paint the boat top and fins and trailer fenders a heavy flaked white or silver.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

11. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

1958 dodge / 1959 dodge looks to have the same fin layout,

12. I do believe that it is modeled after a Mopar, so I would continue the homage by painting it with a Mopar factory two-tone design. For a boat (as mentioned) coral, turquoise, light blue or light green with white would all look good. I personally wouldn't go with metal flake, I think that came about a little later.

13. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Could possibly be the first time a boat has been launched bow first.

14. DavetheWave

DavetheWave

DSCN3217.JPG DSCN3219.JPG Finally chose Ocean blue with Wimbledon white bottom.

15. Slopok

Slopok

Nice color choice. Was it necessary to separate it? Looks like another project that just snowballed. At least you'll be ready for next season though. In the boating industry would that be considered a frame off restoration?o_O

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  16. elcajon64

elcajon64
    from Dixon, CA

Maybe late to the arty but blending in '60 Cad taillights would look slick. Especially doing up a set in red/green for port/starboard.

17. DavetheWave

DavetheWave

Not done but close. I went stock so I guess I can not bring it to Torque Fest. I did find out I like my projects to have wheels and made of steel.

Attached Files:

Paul B likes this.
  18. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake