Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 desoto repo teeth

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bsa_bob, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Desoto grille teeth 11 of them fit 50 merc. Does someone make these now reop?T I think i was told this a couple years ago can't think of the year. jus know they are the large ones ---51 maybe?

2. porky55

porky55

I've seen aluminum repops for sale before. I don't know why you would want aluminum, can't chrome it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. no aluminum mentioned! plastic is what i have heard.i never stated aluminum anywhere.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

There used to be a guy selling aluminum repops on ebay. They were rough castings.

5. that maybe the guy I was thinking of.thanks bob

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 53 Desotos came with 11 teeth while the 51 & 2 came with 7 that you can use.
    My old Merc had 7 [​IMG]
    And the guy who bought it from me added two more (cover your eyes he isn't a traditional custom guy) [​IMG]

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing to remember, All of those teeth are slightly different and there are lefts and rights and a middle tooth. I got the teeth and the pan when I put those in in the early 80's. I had to set down and sort them out more than once when I pulled them out to work on the metal around them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  8. thank you for the help! i appreciate knowing now that i need the 53 teeth .Thats what look the nicest setting up on a shelf is it? where does that come in .i mean what is the shelf out of?

9. I believe Gene Winfield makes a fiberglass lower grille shell to fit the Merc and hold the Desoto theeth my friend has one with the plastic teeth don't look to bad.

10. porky55

porky55

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I didn't mean you, I meant in general. I don't know why they make aluminum ones. Most people would want to chrome them.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can chrome aluminum. Back when I still had the Merc I looked into getting the extra teeth I needed in aluminum and having the whole set chromed and or rechromed. At that time I think someone in Portland Oregon area was producing the aluminum ones and or refinishing the original ones.

12. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

"Radical Bill " Allen of Adams Wisconsin made these back in the early 90's before he passed. Not sure what material that they were made from.

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yep,chrome plating aluminum is possible.There are a lot of chromed aluminum parts on Harley-Davidsons.But i like polished aluminum parts better,its easy to do by yourself and a lot cheaper than chroming..

14. I will get hold of Gene see if hes got the plastic the alumu; Would go dull pretty quick without clear coating them. , I new once this post was seen- i'd get the info, very much appreciate all of yous help. bob

cheers hamb!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  15. brokenwheel

brokenwheel
    from texas

any one have web sight???

16. web site for whatt????

17. tinsled

tinsled

Yes, we do have web-sight!
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

None that I know of right now. This guy specializes in used Desoto grills and teeth though. http://www.swapsellit.com/GrillBumper.html Most likely $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

19. WE all do!! or i do at least -do things to many times before i like it.Can't stop progress even if its wrong And hey thanks for "Butch bunns" address i know him and hes looking all the time for these grilles. Hes below me in ohio and i am 150 miles up from him . If i look long enoughand put A"grille kittty" away i can be ready when the right one does show up thanks all.yes on the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you are correct. bob s

20. Man what an ugly
    broad" ha ha

21. _justakid_

_justakid_

Hahahaha web sight.

22. Rand Man

Rand Man

Is there any new news on the availability of reproduction 1953 Desoto Grill teeth?