Register now to get rid of these ads!

Raven61 and Sodas38 1927 Ford Roadster Blitz

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodas38, Jan 8, 2006.

1. sodas38

sodas38

Raven,
    I am posting a pic of what I started. This will be to post a friendly wager to see who can get their 27T on the road first. Albeit, you are a lot further along than I am, but I'm willing to lat it down anyway. First one to be able to take a test spin around the block "wins". We'll need proof in the form of pic's and I think we will need to post progress pic's like every two weeks. I am open to what you want to wager on.

What cha think?

[​IMG]

****BE SURE TO VIEW THIS WHOLE THREAD FOR PROGRESS PICS!!!!****

2. TN young gun

TN young gun

I would love to see this race! I'm planning on getting a roadster body like that or something close to it, so i would like to see how you both go about building your's. Good Luck to both of you:D .

Richie

3. raven

raven

Wohoo!
    The gauntlet has been thrown down.
    The race of the glass bodied roadsters.
    I think we need to add something to this.
    We can compete on the time it takes us to drive it around the block, but I think we need to include who is first at the finish line too at the Hamb drags!

Let's make this a two-part competition.

1. The first to drive thier roadster around the block buys the other dinner.
    2. The first across the finish line at the drags buys the other a Guiness Stout.
    That is unless you don't like Stout.

Attached Files:

4. Looks like a geniune wager to me.
    I'll be watching real close.

Problem is I suppose this means i get no free labor from the raven for the next couple of months.:D

5. sodas38

sodas38

I am on-board for both! And yes I love the stout. I am off at lunch time to pick up smoe sandblasted parts: 37 axle, wishbone, rearend brackets. As soon as I get my stuff together I'll post an "in my mind" build sheet. Let the fun begin.

6. tantara2001

tantara2001

I'll take Sodas38 on a side bet. any one.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

R, is that a CLEAN shop floor?

8. raven

raven

Hey, don't be talking me down here, I just swept it before I took the picture...:D
    r

9. chopndrop

chopndrop

Raven61, is that a stock T frame?

Sodas38, you better hustle, looks like hes got a jump on you!

10. raven

raven

"is that a stock T frame?"

Partially.
    r

11. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

Me and Fathack did the same thing last year kind of with out knowing. he test drove his at like 7:03. He called to tell me he won and I said bullshit. turns out we drove em around the block at the same time. And he was wayyyy ahead of me so you never know what can happen. A draw would be cool.:D

12. chopndrop

chopndrop

You have any pictures without the body? What you do to it?

13. raven

raven

I back-halfed it and added length to accomodate a '40 Ford rear spring behind the rear axle. I also kicked it up 5" in the process.
    r

Attached Files:

14. Hi Raven,

Did you get the rearend clearance issue solved?

What did you decide for the powerplant? 305, Hemi, etc..

Looks like a fun contest.

Best of luck to both of you.

15. sodas38

sodas38

Raven, just an update for ya.
    Included some progress pic's. I beat myself up on how I was going to set-up my rear suspension. Just when I decided to buck the system and use coil over shocks, I changed my mind and went with a 40 Ford spring (front). Of course I only had 1 3/4" shackles and mounts, and the 40 spring is 2" wide, so I narrowed the spring a little, I included some pic's of this...you can see the small edges I shaved off the spring, and you'll also see how the ends are tappered to fit. I guess you make do with what you have. This should give me enough room to sit lower and clear the body.

I need to figure out the front suspension too as it looks like my steering cross bar is going to hit the frame. I am thinking a kick up in front may do the trick, we'll have to see. The spring will be mounted off the split wishbone. I will end up running modern front brakes though. Speedway disc kit, I can't really beat it price wise and it will ensure I stop better than the early drums. I'll get some more pics of the rear once I get it mounted and tacked together.

Oh I almost forgot. I don't have a plasma cutter and I didn't have access to one so I cut my brackets for the rear spring with a 4 1/2 inch grinder/cut off wheel, not fun, but it worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. speedway

speedway
    from wichita ks

my moneys on my hometown boy- soda 38

17. raven

raven

Ok, well I didn't bring the pics, but we stripped the glass body off of my roadster so I can finish weld the cage and build the trunk are floor, then my welder starts acting up.
    Gonna need to figure that out before too long or I'll be outta luck.
    The car looks neat as a rolling chassis with a cage on it, gives me too many ideas...
    r

18. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

"let's get it on!!!"

19. sodas38

sodas38

Update - I got my rear spring tacked in and was doing just fine, until I bolted on the u-bolts and spring mount so that I could cut and weld in the rear crossmember (2x4 square tube). I then learned that it was not going to work, because the u-bolts hit on the rear end cover. YUCK :( So I have scrapped the leaf spring idea and am going to do coilovers. I was trying to stay traditional but it just doesn't make sense. The coilovers will fly in there and it will probably ride a little better too. So I worked on the ladder bars a little bit. I am making them out of 7/8" DOM with 5/8" clevis ends (pretty much the same as Pete/Jake). I only got about 2-3 hours in this weekend as it was my daughters birthday on Saturday. But I think I had more fun playing Dora the Explorer video games than trying to make sense of the rear suspension set-up for now anyway. I'll see what I can get hammered out tonight. Try and get some pic too.

For those following along, we decided to bet "dinner" for the first to get it around the block; and a cold "Guiness" for whomever wins at the HAMB drags.

20. raven

raven

that's funny. I did the exact same thing when I first got the rear suspension welded in. I ended up changing the leaf spring mounts on the rear end and moving the rear crossmember two inches toward the rear of the car.
    r

21. I talked to Raven61 Sat. and offered this to the winner. Oldsguy and I have a small brewery called Motorhead Brewery and we have a Stout that is so black the lights in the room dim when you pour one in a glass.
    We will give the winner 2 cases of our finest 'Burn-out Stout'. We need two months notice for I'd like it to be fresh.

Mick

22. sodas38

sodas38

Thanks Mick, I'm all over that. I may have to start skipping sleep a few nights a week just to get my hands on those suds. I don't know about Raven but I'm more than two months away, so no notice yet.

23. The things I'll do to watch a good race:p

Mick

24. sodas38

sodas38

Update:
    I think I finally got the rear suspension mocked up. I managed to use the 40 Ford front spring back there. I put the ladder bars together and they worked out great. You'll see that I wanted to have the pivot point a little stronger than just one or half of each tube welded to the end of the pivot tube, so I used a 3/16" plate to mount the pivot tube in. I've got it on the rear wheels and it looks pretty good for height. Its actually sitting right where I wanted it too but It doesn't have the weight for the gas tank, seat, roll cage and two bodies in it yet. So it will sit about 2-3 inches lower I imagine, which is fine. The last picture shows how close the spring is getting to the body, I'll probably have to cut some of the body back to allow for clearance. Next I will begin working on the front suspension and front crossmember. I will be setting it up suicide, spring behind axle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

This ain't another Missouri/Kansas border war is it?

26. tantara2001

tantara2001

Yes it is I am still waiting to see a update from Raven61

Where is this brewery at?

27. raven

raven

" This ain't another Missouri/Kansas border war is it?"

Yes it is.
    I've been finishing up the floor bracing in the trunk and will be moving on to the cowl steering tomorrow.
    r

28. sodas38

sodas38

I got messing on the front suspension this weekend, well really just got to it today, being in banking gave me the day off, much needed :)

I set-it up with a step up in front. I used some 37 ford spring perches and some DOM to be sure the bones didn't collapse or crush on me. I will weld it all up when I get it set. I made the crossmember, fairly simple. I still need to make the mounts for the wishbone ends and figure out what springs I will use for the front. Then it will be on to mocking up the engine and trans. Heres the progress pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]