Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dodge finally running.....kinda

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S2X01, Jun 6, 2014.

1. S2X01

S2X01

So after a long day of head scratching and tinkering, I got the Dodge to hold an idle.
    Rebuilt the original WW, and had the pump run straight to a small bottle of gas to make sure it was working right.

At first, with the idle mixture screws set about 1-1/4 turns out, it was drinking gas like crazy. Couldn't even keep the bowl full. Lots of white smoke, and idling way too high.

So we drove the screws in, and right now it's running (idle) best with them about 1/4 turn out. Less smoke, and the pump keeps up no problem.

Pulled out the timing gun, and with it set a 0, I couldn't see anything on the crank pulley at all. Twisted the dist back and forth a little, and the timing hashes never dialed in.
    We killed it before I thought to use the gun dial to see where it was really sitting at.

So here's where I'm at...where do I go as far as dialing the fuel mix in, and getting things tuned? I feel like the screws should be A LOT farther out. Maybe my PV is stuck?

Could my light be reading wrong because it's hooked up to 6V+? It shouldn't in my opinion....but who knows.

2. S2X01

S2X01

In addition, if anyone is here in the Denver area, some hands on help and teaching would be generously rewarded with beers of your choice!

3. S2X01

S2X01

4. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Well, lets see. What engine are we talking about here? Also, does ww refer to the carburetor?
    The crankshaft pulley should have timing marks on it. Is it possible that the distributor is installed 180 degrees out of line. This would mean that the timing marks are at the bottom of the rotation when they should be at the top.
    I suggest giving the crank pulley a good scrubbing and see if you can find those timing marks. this would be a good place to start.

5. S2X01

S2X01

It's a 241 Hemi.
    It's definitely not 180 out...because it does run.
    Found the timing marks and used white paint to mark TDC. While it was at TDC, I also pulled the distributor cap and verified I wasn't a tooth off. All looks good.
    The only thing I can think of is that my timing light doesn't agree with 6V