Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RIP: Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

See post #369 and, according to them, October will be the last issue. Supposedly it is going to print now.

2. As of this morning they're still spamming my email though...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Just have to see what happens Rog MN

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Thanks guys.

5. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yea thanks, I emailed them and they said they would get back to me soon, Checks in the mail???LOL

6. alchemy

alchemy

I wonder if the last issue (this time) will have a black logo (like last time)?

7. So many who post here miss the point: For the publishing house it's not about tradition, or emotion...or even about copy sales. It's about the overall ability of the title to bring in a positive cash flow - and continue to do so into the forseeable future.

Street Rodder does it, Rod & Custom didn't. So there's no point in anybody getting their panties into a wad over any aspect other than R&C's fading income stream. The bottom line is: If R&C was still making the publisher money we'd still have R&C.

8. I started buying my magazines on line from Barns and Noble about 6 months ago. The reason was I was running out of storage room and throwing away stacks of magazines at a time. I hope that using the nook for my magazines solves the storage and allows me quick reference to my back issues. Do i like it as much as paper? Probably not, but I can still take it to the bathroom and read it. and when I go away to the beach house or a car show I only have to take 1 book not the whole collection. Maybe not for everyone but it works for me. By the way it cost me more to buy magazines on line than it did with the specials in print, and no free hats or clocks. Carlg

9. 343w

343w

I just renewed my subscription in May so I called the credit card company and had the payment backed out.. They should have told the customers they were about to go under!

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Got an E-Mail from the R&C people and told me the remaining 3 plus years I have on my subscription will be added to my Street Rodder subscription. If you want your money back they will send it.

11. falconer63

falconer63

Street rodder got the axe, too.

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Rod and custom content was absorbed into street rodder. Street Rodder is safe for now.

13. johnod

johnod

Did they just send that out of the blue , or did you contact them first?
    If so how do I contact them?

Thanks

14. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

That is sad. Really sucks. That's one of 'em I subscribe to! Always liked Rod & Custom.

15. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I just got a phone. call asking me if I wanted to renew my subscription, I told him I heard R&C was out of business. He told me he didn't know anything about that, I told him I'll pass. What gives?

16. aircoup

aircoup

damnit it figures like all good things going by the way side

17. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

I just got a 3 year subscription to rod & custom and street rodder last year. what do I do now?

18. I just read some of these posts.
    WOW 21 pages!
    I admit I'm an old fart, but you guys ought to get out and drive around for a while!
    I understand about the print media, but today you can get more of the info you might be
    interested in for free on this here internet thing, and more pictures of hot rods and
    customs than you could ever see in magazines.
    The only down side is you may need a terminal in the bathroom!
    And think about how happy your wives will be without all those stacks of mags in the basement!
    Lighten up!
    Just my $.02

19. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Wow, glad I have a stash of old R&C mags. There is a lot of information in there.

46Chief likes this.
  20. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Perhaps it would have been better to have Custom Rodder merged into Rod & Custom a few years ago. It would have made one great magazine rather than what they did with Street Rodder which now has only more dull features.

R&C has been the medium for the street driven hot rods and customs. That is why the cessation bothers so many on this forum. It was tradition, since 1953. And this is a site where tradition is valued. I personally enjoyed the historical articles very much.

As a contributor to R&C I felt fortunate to have my work in the same magazine as so many I have admired.

As far as electronic media I think there is still a lot of resistance to it. I compiled an e-book and found it difficult to market. There is still a stigma against electronic publishing and art rendered using a mouse rather than a pen.

Thanks to Ryan and H.A.M.B. we can move forward.

21. scotti32

scotti32

Sad to see it go, been reading it for years. Another subscriber here lost my $.

22. Readers buy what they like.
    Readers want a quality mag,
    and Source Interlink doesn't produce one.

23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

johnod, I E-Mailed R&C, and found a "contact us". It would have been nice if they contacted all of the subscribers and let us know what was happening. I think they are hoping to get away without refunding any money or moving our subscriptions to another magazine. Typical corporate greed!

24. phat rat

phat rat

I got my Sept issue today. But I still haven't gotten a word from them that it's gone under and what they are going to do with my subscription that runs until June 2019

25. phat rat

phat rat

I decided to email sales and the editor. I got this response from sales.

Automatic reply: www.rodandcustommagazine.com: Magazine Sales
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:50 PM
    "Haggett Shannon" <[email protected]>
    To:
    "[email protected]" [email protected]

RetailVision has ceased operations on 5/30/2014 as part of Source Interlink Distribution ceasing operations

Makes a person wonder why they still have magazine subscriptions available on the website

26. c57heaven

c57heaven

27. c57heaven

c57heaven

and street rodder has many of the same cars that the Goodguys magazine has. There are so many cars out there; yet many are covered multiple times.

28. One of my favorite magazines, it will be missed. I subscribe to the print version, don't want everything delivered to me instantly, and enjoy going to the mailbox each day to see if my favorite titles have reached me yet. A bit like waiting for a tiny Christmas each month. Guess I'm just old enough to find that the waiting increases the pleasure. A lot of stuff in life like that.
    Those Kindles and Apples just don't look the same on the living room table and if you run out of paper in the bathroom while reading your e-magazine on the throne as it were they are absolutely no help at all. Can't rip a page out of a kindle in an emergency!

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  29. phat rat

phat rat

I just got this answer after emailing TEN

RE: TEN: Contact Form - Website Feedback
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:10 AM
    Mark as UnreadFlag this message
    "Pleger Kevin" <[email protected]>
    To:
    "jparker41
    Full HeadersPrintable View
    Hello Mr. Parker,

Rod & Custom has been discontinued with the October 2014 issue. The good news is that in Rod & Custom’s place, you will receive Street Rodder Magazine, for the total remaining copies on your subscription. STREET RODDER is an authoritative source for how-to’s and technical information, event coverage, the latest features and emerging trends all devoted to the world of street rodding. In addition, the magazine offers a variety of how-to and technical articles for the street rod and classics enthusiast, as well as some historical perspectives. It’s everything a rodder could want, all in one monthly magazine. Each issue is packed with how-to’s, national events coverage, special feature articles on rodders and classics, and more.

Regards,

Kevin Pleger
    Fulfillment & Print Order Coordinator, Fulfillment Operations

P: (239)444-8138
    27500 Riverview Center Boulevard
    Bonita Springs, FL 34134
    EnthusiastNetwork.com
    [​IMG]

Date: Friday, June 13, 2014 5:35 AM
    To: Source Interlink <[email protected]>, "Classen, Benjamin" <[email protected]>, "Tong, Ti" <[email protected]>, "Hale, Charles" <[email protected]>, "John, Stuart" <[email protected]>
    Subject: TEN: Contact Form - Website Feedback

TEN: Contact Form - Website Feedback
    Name: jack Parker
    Email:
    Phone:
    Sir: I'm inquiring as to your plan regarding my subscription to Rod & Custom. My subscription runs to June 2019. I'm appalled at you blatant disregard for your subscribers. It seems that integrity would dictate that you notified subscribers of your intention on rectifying the unfulfilled portions of their subscriptions.

30. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

One of the things I hate about getting older is seeing so many of the old magazines and car related business disappearing. Right now is a very tuff time to be in the hot rodding or drag racing business.

There are no easy answers for how to turn everything around right now because it appears to me to be more then just a soft economy. A general lack of interest seems to be a part of the problem.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

student of steel likes this.