Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help me put a T5 in my 1950 Pontiac.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, May 31, 2014.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hi Guys,
    So these are the things that I have done so far or have access to but I need your help. I have installed a 1994 four bolt main 350 TBI motor out of a chevy truck and and installed an Edelbrock carb on it with a HEI. I have early T5 transmission out of a camaro that is a Non -World Class transmission that I am going to install in the car.

What I am having problems with is sourcing the right flywheel. A buddy gave me one but the bolt holes on the crankshaft will not line up with the flywheel holes. A 1994 flywheel out of an IROC will bolt up but it seems really thick??? Does anyone know what flywheel, clutch and pressure plate that I need to make this all work?
    Thanks
    Jay

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Any ideas? I posted this late Saturday night. Thanks Jay

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

??????????
    Jay

4. Jay, maybe a little more information would help, like what bellhousing you're using, etc. If the trans came out of a Camaro, I would probably stick with as many stock parts as I could - can you find a Camaro and get all the parts out of it? I guess you'll have to adapt the pedals in the Pontiac, I've got an auto in mine so I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.

55gasserkid likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, try rotating the flywheel to see if you can get all of the holes lined up.

Your choices are primarily 153 or 168 tooth, and thus the clutch diameter:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...in-seal-style/1-piece/engine-balance/external

Post the part number of the bell housing that you are using, so we can tell which size it is.

If the extra thick 1994 Camaro flywheel looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It is for a T56 6-speed, with a pull clutch. By this era, the T5 was no more.

Either way, you want a one-piece rear main seal, external balance flywheel ('87-end SBC's are external balance).

55gasserkid likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

55gasserkid likes this.
  7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Good info here man. I guess my biggest thing is that it is a 94 motor and a mid 80s T5 I couldn't get the flywheel to line up so.... See post below!
    Jay

8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is the flywheel that I have! So am I right to say that the T56 flywheel will not work on that T5 tranmission?
    Jay

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct. It is too thick.

55gasserkid likes this.
  10. sdluck

sdluck

If I remember correctly the the bell housing tilts the trans 15 degrees to the right to clear the floor and for the shifter to come out right on a camaro.
    -

11. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Ok so I definitely need a different one. So is there a flywheel that you could recommend that I use. for the 1994 motor that would fit up to this early 80s T5 Gimpyshotrod? I did get your link but there were a lot of flywheels to choose from.
    Thanks
    Jay

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is right. We are welding a plate to correct the angle in the shifter and then putting a bench seat shifter on the transmission. In time when we rebuild the transmission we mostlikely will put a S10 tailshaft housing in place to correct the angle. For now it is what it is.
    Jay

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tailshaft from the S10 will help with the shifter position, but not the angle. The angle in the Camaro setup comes from the belhousing.
    Left is Camaro/Firebird, right is V8/90ºV6:
    [​IMG]
    That said, the angle will still probably not really be a problem.

55gasserkid likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those flywheels vary by manufacturer, diameter, and weight. They all technically interchange, but you must make sure that your clutch/flywheel fits in your bellhousing, and you have a starter to match it.

Find the part number on the bellhousing that you intend to use, and I will spec-out a full setup.

55gasserkid likes this.
  15. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Man I totally appreciate you helping me with this big time. The bell housing that I have is the one on the left in the picture with the slave cylinder set up. The bell housing is an hour away from me but my cousin is there and I can tell him to look for the numbers on the bell housing. Where exactly would they be? On the outside or inside of the casting? Thanks Jay

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I remember, that bellhousing uses the 153-tooth flywheel, and the 10-1/2" clutch. I will double check when I get home from work. The part number is on the outside of the housing, and 7-digits, I think.

Have you worked out your clutch pedal situation yet?

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Right now I have the assembly out of an S10. I was thinking about modifying and using this system. I will get those numbers off the bellhousing. Jay

18. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I know it is too thick widthwise from mocking it up. Not the diameter. I will check things over the weekend and get back to the thread later.
    Jay

19. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

If it is NWC as he says, I wouldn't think so. I'd guess it's off a 2.8L V6 Camaro. Not likely to be happy behind a 350.

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hey man I appreciate the help. I am away for the weekend when I will get back I will post info.
    Jay

21. Giggle....you seem to be spot on with this info as I am looking for a world class v8 T5 ('88 and up)and adapting a s10 tail shaft on it. When it is all said and done it is about a 10' difference in shifter locations. I'm just having a hell of a time finding either tranny so far. There are also v6 T5 world class tranny's which have the two of the mounting holes for the bell housing going through the inside of the bell housing and not through ears of the early style gm bell housings. So those dont work

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those "other" WC V6 T5's without the early GM style bellhousing actually have the late Ford pattern, even when they are in a GM vehicle.

From 1993 on (or so) all T5's went to the Ford pattern, until they were discontinued.

23. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Ok gimpyshotrods got the number off the bellhousing! 14093638
    Jay

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is an engine number. Are you sure that is the one from the aluminum bellhousing?

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

↑Good info here.

26. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

27. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Will double check... and get him to send a photo... Ja
    Hey I appreciate the info. From your first post I thought you were trying to sell me stuff instead of trying to help. Mixed messages I guess. The car is 1 hour away I am tracking some numbers down off the bellhousing. I already know that the flywheel that i do have is for a T56 6 speed and will not work. I am tring to determine the bellhousing that I have once I do this I will then be looking for a flywheel and clutch assembly for the car.
    Thank
    Jay

28. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Ok I got the numbers off the bellhousing! The number is 14075723.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a 1984-1992 Camaro/Firebird bellhousing. It takes a 153-tooth flywheel, from the link I previously posted, and uses whatever spec clutch you desire, that fits the '84-'92 Camaro. A 1987-1992 flywheel is what you want.

55gasserkid likes this.
  30. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Thanks a lot man! Much appreciated! Do you know when they switched over to the one piece rear seal on the 350 chevy motors?
    Jay