Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tony Miller's Custom 40 Ford Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Jan 12, 2012.

1. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Definitely a landmark 40. Can't wait to see it completed.

2. Looking really good, like it wants to go down the road in a hurry. Fine work indeed.

3. I agree. Sweet profile

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Congrats Tony. Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in color. This car will be significant in the custom car world. This is truly a car Ford should have made.

5. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

wish I could afford you guys, LOOKS GREAT!!!!

6. daddio211

daddio211

Okay, I'll admit it. I really cringe hearing '40 and channelled custom together, but I knew since the two of you were involved it'd be top notch. You guys didn't disappoint! I think I have good vision but I never saw it coming together with such amazing proportions!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. IMG_1076-vi.jpg
    image by @Russ B

8. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

You look good in it Tony.

9. fordman1

fordman1

I got to see it in person and it is really amazing! It was entertaining explaining just the effort in the grille to my Brother in law.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There are couple of areas that haven't been pictured in the thread, but which Don has detailed neatly. The engine compartment:

[​IMG]

...and the dash. There's no question that it's a '40 Ford dash, but I'm proud of the few differences that set it apart from most others. Thanks to HAMBer MJ40 for his cluster idea (and its construction):

[​IMG]
    DRD57 photos

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  11. Loooooooooooking goooooooooooood

12. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Is the dash the final color?

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It will be light & dark metallic grey, pretty close to the way it is now. The final shades may change a bit, depending on what the final body color turns out to be (if I ever pick a final body color).

14. Per a "conversation" with 50Fraud about wheel and tire combos for my future 27T Coupe project, I noticed the '40 Merc-style grille on this build. He sent me to this build thread.

Very impressive and it really shows how much FUN this hobby/business of our is. Changing the look of a classic car style can take many different paths and only requires the approval of the owner.

Congrats on a nice design and I appreciate this thread as a record of the build.

My 40 COOP, finished in a panic in 2012 to meet up with the Doug Rice '39 Coupe at the Salt, has an almost identical grille and hood treatment....and the grille-building process was also almost identical.

The two stylings present different approaches, but I think both still pay tribute to the great original '39 & '40 design.

Looking forward to more postings on your build.

DSC08912.JPG DSC08910.JPG DSC08917.JPG grille.jpg DSC08921.JPG

15. DRD57

DRD57

I'm loading the car up now to drag it down to the O.C.
    We'll be at the 40 Ford show at La Palma Park tomorrow.
    See you there.

16. Cool - I look forward to seeing it in person!

17. See you there Tony.

18. See you at the park, Tony.

19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Please post pictures for us unable to attend. Plan to be there next year.

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It COULD be said that my car stood tall among all the '40s at the show today, but that wouldn't be the best choice of words. It did draw a lot of interest, and it was fun to see it together with a bunch of stock-height '40s.
    [​IMG]

daddio211 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  21. Mr. Miller and his masterpiece. This shows just how low the car's profile is. (Tony isn't that tall:))

40 Ford Day 2014 003.JPG

Crazydaddyo and daddio211 like this.
  22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks for that picture, Dean. It's a surprise even to me!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  23. DRD57

DRD57

007.JPG We're fine tuning some bugs and details on the car so Tony can take it home for a shakedown visit. Today I shaved an inch off the lowering blocks in the back to bring it up to where we had it during the build. By the time we get the rest of the weight on it top, interior, etc.) we should be just about right without blocks at all.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its lookin' good. Man, you guys really hit the mark on the radiused fenders, really nice work.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks incredible!!!!! Nice work!!

Posted using a record player and an Apple IIe

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That stance is right on!

27. I just spent the last hour or so on this thread. Awesome job!! Thanks for the link 50fraud!

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The car has been in San Pedro for its conjugal visit for four days now. After adjusting stuff so I felt comfortable at the wheel, I've driven it around the neighborhood in the sunshine and the dark. It goes, stops, steers and corners like a much younger car than a '40 Ford -- no surprise, as it's now a 289-powered roadster that weighs maybe 2200 pounds. When it's carrying its full load of upholstery, glass, top and paint, it'll probably slow down a bit.
    [​IMG]
    It pains me that it needs to go back to Don's shop in Tulare, where it'll be blown apart again. Minor tweaks will be made to the chassis components, and finishes will be applied -- paint, powder coat, a little plating -- and the body will be reassembled for construction of the side windows, finish bodywork, stainless trim, plating, top, interior, and paint.
    [​IMG]
    I think it's gonna be quite a while before it returns to San Pedro again -- sometime in 2015, at least!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  29. DrJ

DrJ

Looking great, too bad so many people throw on some Black primer and stop there...