Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hey boys! Lookin at a 1960 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ism415, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

Today I went and looked at a clean nice and shiny 1960 buick lesabre today. Gonna get a great price on it if I want to buy it. New paint, wires, tubes, all original interior. Really great condition all around. Some minor surface rust under the trunk lid. That seems to be about it. Starts and runs great!! Minor minor oil leak from what I can tell and doesn't burn any oil. The heads may have been redone, new exhaust. Anything I should think of besides having him put it on the rack to look under it before I buy? Any help would be great this is my first car. I have been waiting for the right deal on a 59 for the passed 3 years and it hasn't come and this fell into my lap through a friend of a friend... Ill post pics when I can. Guy wants 6 for it.

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If I was closer, I would go look at it with you. Maybe you can find someone on here, from your neighborhood, that will do that.

3. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

4. That looks like a really clean car. I would take some magnets with you and put them on the body to see if they stick. I would also kindly ask if you could pull some of the carpets up to check the floors. It isn't that accurate but I would be also see if you could get someone to help you take a tape measure from hub to hub to see if the frame is straight (not the most accurate though). Also ask if you can go for a drive and take you're hands off the wheel and see how straight she drives. When you go to look at it touch the hood to see if it is warm. If it is that could mean the guy had it running before you came and could possibly be hiding something. Or he was just driving it lol.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If it checks out as clean as it looks per Mitchell's recommendations, I'd jump on the deal for 6k. Paint and chrome work would cost you the asking price-especially since you've been searching for a 59. Original interior, black plates to boot. Don't think you could do any better. You might do some code plate research to see where it was built/and if it's always been a CA car. Nice cruiser.

6. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

We went for a drive in it. Hit the freeway also got it up to 70 was just humming a long. He told me if it's hot out it will run hot. He installed a fan in it for that reason. Haven't done magnets yet but checked the primary rust spots. Starts up great but when he shut it off sounded like he had to give it has well it sputtered out..? Wasn't sure what that was about. I'm going back on sat with a rat rod buddy to give it a good once over since he has much more knowledge then I do.

7. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

The history of it was in a barn for years in the SJV here in ca. It has 21k on it but I have no idea if it's original or not. But with how nice the inside looks it would be hard to think it saw much more action then that

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Did you notice its a four door

9. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

Yes I did. It's the smaller engine sedan. There was around 55k of them made.

10. Babyearl

Babyearl

The sputtering you mention on shut it off is because of the engine idle is too fast,, it should have a fast idle solinoid if it has AC. Just guessing.

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It's a nice car no doubt, but still a 4 door. Wouldn't you rather have a 2 door?

12. I'd jump on that, a beautiful 4door

13. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

Would be nice but that's not the killer deal laid at my feet.
    Like I said my ideal car is the 59 2dr rag top. This is the best deal I have come across for anything of what I am looking at in the passed 3 or 4 years

14. randy

randy

It looks like a nice old car and sounds like it probably is. 4 doors are fine as long as you DON'T PAY TOO MUCH. They can make great cruisers, but they'll never command the prices that coupes do. If it's your first car, you'll probably want to sell it someday and it sucks taking a big loss.

That said, this is on CL right now in our area... Price is right, but it may be more work than you're looking for.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4506187389.html

M1Lover likes this.
  15. Mercchev

Mercchev

Yeah, but what a great way to get into owning an old car. You can learn and have fun with it at a reasonable price, while having arguably "The only one like it around here..."

16. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

I saw that add but I don't want to take on that much work and cost this early on.

17. banginona40

banginona40

lot of dough for a nailhead! I'd keep looking.

18. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Looks like it could be a decent car, more door and all.
    Make sure the tranny drives/shifts okay, clean fluid etc. Some of the older auto transmissions can get pricey to play with.

19. Nothing wrong with a 4 door as long as you are buying it for pleasure and not resale. HRP

Mr48chev likes this.
  20. 4 Door cars are great for 1st cars. My first two Bel Air's were 4 doors. Not one of my pals ever whined about the extra 2 doors.
    The '57 was a Rochester Fuelie car. That cancelled out the more door situation.
    The Buick to me looks like 45 -$4800 tops in my worthless opinion.

Question though. Why does nearly every old car have the stored in a barn story and why is every old Chevy back in the day running a Corvette engine?
    Was any old car stored in a lean-to in a swamp?
    Did anyone brag that their Chevy ran an Impala mill?
    My Pinto ran a Thunderbird engine waaay back when. It was from a 1978 though.
    Doesn't sound as kool as running an E code Bird Y block. Just sayin'.

M1Lover likes this.
  21. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

Gotta love the stories behind things.

22. Rustydogs had a running driving ragtop a while ago for not much more $$$ than that....

23. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

So is this not as good of a deal as I am thinking it is?

24. M1Lover

M1Lover

I think its worth six large. That said, I agree with the above: There's no demand for four-doors. Get it for 5 and drive the hell out of it.
    My '63 425 Nailhead-powered LeSabre runs hot when its hot, especially if you spend any time sitting in traffic. Electric fan(s) are a good idea. Let us know what happens. H.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sure looks nice under the lights.

26. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

HAHA ya it does, nice and shiny

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a bad car if you just want drive it and enjoy it and take good care of. Any personalization or customizing that can't be changed back might be an issue dollar wise unless you find another guy who just absolutely has to have a 59 Buick to love it after you move on to something else.
    Right now with three projects spread all over the place and nothing that isn't OT to drive a buy it and drive it and grin four door sounds pretty damned good.
    I had some hell for good times in a Buick four door when I was young though. It was a 55 Special four door hardtop with a super engine and trans in it but one of the most fun cars I ever owned.

28. belair

belair

I think 4500, give or take ia a lot more realistic.

29. Ism415

Ism415
    from petaluma

As far as the transmission goes it switches into nice. When it's in drive it's quiet and you can hardly tell when it switches gears. I'm going back to look at it tomorrow

30. luckystiff

luckystiff

one of few cars i think looks damn near as good with 4 ports of entry as 2. but with that said i'd be more into those 2 2drs for closer to the 2 grand range. gather up all you need for 1 car and sell off the other for some gain back. even if you quick sold it for $500 you'd only be in the other for $1500 or so depending on how close you get them down to the $2k mark to begin with.

the more door ain't bad. the dynaflow should be silky smooth. and nailhead wanting to run to the arm side isn't suprising. i daily drove a '64 wildcat 2dr for 7 years. it was fine 10-11 months out of the year. july/august could be touchy at times....