Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1938 ford standard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slick31, Jun 3, 2014.

1. slick31

slick31

Just starting a 1938 standard coupe has juice brakes and a 1939 tranny. Will an 8BA fit without radiator modifications or should I stay with an 59AB?would love to stay with a flathead but am not supposed to a SBC either but a flatheads hat fits would be faster. This car has had no modifications to the sheetmetal or frame and I like that. It has been in storage since 1964 and is pristine. Old hotrod and just want to keep it nastalgic. Just don't want the Babbitt bEarings of the stock motor. If there is room for for the 8BA it is just a little boost in HP. But I realize they are 2 inches longer any one done this swap? Any room issues?

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may have to look into finding a shorter fan or eliminate the mechanical fan and run an electric fan on the radiator. I realise that's not traditional but on the front side it will be basically invisible.
    I had a 38 standard coupe that my father built in the late 70s/80s, it had a thermo fan on the front and it was hard to see.
    Post up some picks, I would love to see it.
    Here is a little pic of mine;
    [​IMG]

I have since given the coupe back to my father, It was too strange him not having a hotrod! He has changed a lot on the car but it still has the thermo fan, here's a pic of it now;
    (The pink and black Falcon two down is my youngest sisters, it runs in the family!)
    [​IMG]

Doc.

3. slick31

slick31

image.jpg Thanks for the info. The interior us complete just have to figure out how to get the mouse pee Smell out. Got most of it but I will probably have to uncover everything clean and reinstall. As you can see the paint is not all that bad. Good enough to run as is I want too preserve the old hotrod look. The sheet metal is like new no real dents or dings. It even has a set of snap on running board covers to match the interior. I just need to put on some wheels and tires and an engine. image.jpg image.jpg

4. fordv8

fordv8
    from California

If you have a 59 AB block in it, use it. 1946-48 - 59 AB motors have insert bearings not poured bearings. Great little motor.
    CR

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a nice looking coupe mate! Now I miss mine more!!
    I really dig the interior (Mine was ugly 80s style!), I still don't know how people can call them the 'Ugly duckling' of Fords 30s cars. From a looks standpoint, all that needs is to sit down a bit, maybe some wheels and caps then that would be perfect!

Doc.

6. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

38a 072.jpg Just be glad it did not look like this one I sold to a brave man.

7. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

The stock motor did not have poured babbitt mains. Any flathead with block mounted water pumps has insert mains. The easiest to work on in the car is the 8BA. Just try removing the front mounted distributor from a 59 or older engine with that leaned back radiator...
    And don't think you will just pull the side panels to make working on the engine easier; putting the side panels back on is usually a pain.

I pull the generator before going after the front mount distributor, but I like to keep my cars looking like Henry made them.

Your car looks like it is in really nice shape. I would add a bumpers, I think they look odd without bumpers.

8. 3234BUD

3234BUD
    from Colorado

slick31 have you been able to find anything on the history of this car?
    The reason I ask is that I remember the car from the Sabers Tri-state car show starting in the late 1950's. It is a north Denver car. It is clear in my memory because of the chrome hood sides plus in it's day it had a Hemi engine. Also not many 38 standards were hot rodded in that time. The time span that I saw it at the Tri-State was roughly 1958 to 1963. Also a friend of mine saw the car in a garage in Lakewood sometime in the 1970's and at that time it had the Hemi engine.
    One Christmas season when I was working part-time at the post office I worked with the kid who owned the car. His name as I remember was Rich Svalde (sp?). He went to Mount Carmel High School. I think you could find out a lot about the history of the car from the Sabers car club. They have an extensive collection of photo albums of the cars in the shows. I understand that they still have their club house at 71st and Huron in Denver. Someone might have phone number.
    What ever decision you make on the engine is up to you of course. I just wanted tell you what I knew about the car. I am really encouraged that the car has surfaced after many years of rumors concerning it's whereabouts. Good luck with your restoration/preservation. Bud Orr

9. ventilo

ventilo

That might be true for North-American blocks, but a 1937 Cologne flathead V8 has block mounted pumps and still babbit bearings (mains and rods). I've got one in my shelves...

10. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

More pictures! I am in the process of building a '38 Stadrad Coupe, so it is nice to see someone else doing the same. Your sis way more complete though.

11. Always liked '38 Standards with the Cord-inspired front end styling, one of the most attractive cars of the late '30s.

12. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I also love the 38 std, I have a 2dr sedan. But, we are in the minority. I think the styling is outstanding and unique. Most just consider it ugly. Oh well, that leaves more for us and at a better price.
    Post a photo of the engine, it might help ID it.

13. 1pickup

1pickup

yup. had a '53 Merc flatty in my '39 standard. bolts in easy enough. if you have the bell housing to bolt to the trans. but there was only about 1/4" between pulley & radiator. no room for mechanical fan. electrical pusher fan fits fine in front, but some people think you are blocking air from the radiator that way. use a 59a if you have one. or, change to an early cam, distributor & water pumps (hell, even heads if you want the look). i think that would work. mine has a bored, stroked, relieved, isky 400jr cammed, aluminum headed, three 94s fed 59a in it now.

14. slick31

slick31

15. slick31

slick31

Bud Thanks for the info. It was Rich Swalde 's car you are exactly right. He passed away a few years ago and his wife this year in february. I just happened to go to an auction and they pulled this car out. I was there to buy farm equipment and went home with a new hot rod. A guy cant have too many. What I was told is that it had a flathead but not for sure. It has had no welding or cutting done in the engine compartment or else were for that matter. I have since purchased a 59ab that runs great and I am getting ready to install it. Hoping to drive it to the Road Nights Blue Light Special in Loveland Co. late August. It is starting to come together. I contacted the Sabers and they are looking to see if somebody remebers the car.

16. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

DSC01811.jpg DSC04155.jpg 11-06-06 006.jpg 11-06-06 003.jpg DSC04268.jpg I have a 38 standard coupe'. I have redone almost every inch of it. It will be a 50's style hotrod when complete. Sharp heads two 48's fentons mellow tones etc. We are probably 2 months from being complete. The really good thing is that it is all steel I'll post a few pics. g

17. slick31

slick31

18. slick31

slick31

Sooty for the delay. Here is my car now image.jpg

19. slick31

slick31