Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods tire dressing, what kind?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood337, Jun 2, 2014.

1. wood337

wood337

What's the best tire shine stuff? I've heard that some stuff is actually bad for tubber.

I don't like the super-wet, glossy look.......just clean and dark black.

Thanks

lawman likes this.
  2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Anything that has "Petroleum Distillates" will degrade your rubber. What's worked best for me is Westley's Bleche White and a scrub brush to clean (brass bristle brush for whitewalls) and use a tire shine that's silicone-based.

3. Dave50

Dave50

I piss on mine

fsae0607 likes this.
  4. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Years ago, before tire dressing was popular I used brake fluid.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My dad and my brothers used Coca Cola back in the 50s and 60s but back then, it was "REAL" Coca Cola and not that high fructose corn syrup crap.

6. sir

sir

TRY PLEDGE FURNITURE POLISH....

7. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

OIL & vinegar! LOL.

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

What the hell is with shiny tires anyway ?

Mike

All American 6 and lawman like this.
  9. DSC07736.JPG
    This stuff leaves a nice matte finish, not greasy looking. My front tires had some brown looking shit on em since new that I couldn't scrub off with anything I tried and this stuff made em look like they should

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  10. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Yeah, I don't get it either. But then I don't like the big hoops and O-ring tires look.

11. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

I've been using WD-40 for years on not only my tires, but all my rubber door and trunk gaskets, cleans them up nice and keeps them soft. I actually use it on my black leather interior in my 36 and my mkx. after it dries, it looks brand new. I've had great luck with it, your mileage may vary.

12. Any dressing should work! :D HRP
    salad.6.jpg

Dave50 and fsae0607 like this.
  13. Back in the 50s,when I was working at a servive sta and we did wash jobs,,We just sprayed them with a sugar and water mixture...looks like new tires when done thay way..Black or whitewall

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've been using that No Touch stuff in a big spray can. They say to spray it on and let it run....well nah, I wipe it off (too messy the other way). It leaves the rubber looking like new rubber, not shiny, just moistened. Works great on radiator and heater hoses too. So far it hasn't had any long term negative effects.

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Try F-21 by Turtle Wax,nice and black without too much shine. I really like it on my running boards, easy clean up with a damp cloth.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think they all work the same. Just don't leave it on, like a lot of people do. Wipe it on, then wipe it off. Just like the instructions say to.

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I just clean the tires, then use that tire shine dressing crap. Let it soak for a few, then wipe it back off, leaves a nice crisp black but not shiny tire. Just makes em look new.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. stimpy

stimpy

after roasting tires theres nothing like stovetop dressing ..

westlys is all I used .

lawman likes this.
  19. BarryA

BarryA

I always just washed/scrubbed the tyres, let them dry, then brushed on black shoe polish..not too shiny, but I have no idea if it is bad for rubber...

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Murphy's Oil Soap. Used it when I was a jr. fireman (60s), dressing the tires before parades. Leaves a clean, matte look.
    Gulf Tire & Tube Cleaner.(long gone) Used it when I worked a the Gulf Station in H/S. Prep for tire/tube repairs. I found it did a helluva job on my blackwalls as well.:D
    Harley sells a Black Tire Dressing that makes 'em look pretty damn good. Don't get it on white. It's also over priced, naturally.

I usually use what ever spray foam is on the shelf in the garage. My boys usually keep several brands of the day around. Apply, wipe, & go.

21. k9racer

k9racer

I know you want those yellow looking WHITE Walls to shine and clean up, As fsae 0607 stated that Westleys brand white wall tire cleaner has worked very well for me for over 40 years. I have also used and red devil lye soap that comes in crystals. it is for cleaning drains. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and safety glasses if you use the red devil.. I hope these things work. for you... Bobby

22. barnfresh60

barnfresh60
    from sydney

boot polish with a shoe brush,or we used flat tyre black in a small can with a small paint brush, dries flat,,,both give good results and only a few bob,be careful not to get to caught up with the whole tyre shine business because you will get a headache and go broke,and theres no need to mate..cheers.

23. Muttley

Muttley

The best stuff I've ever used is Meguiars Endurance Tire Shine Gel.

[​IMG]

Rub it on, let dry and buff it off. The stuff has the perfect sheen, makes the tires look brand new, not like plastic. It also lasts through lots of washings so you dont need to apply it every time you give your ride a bath.

[​IMG]

24. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I like the way this stuff looks. I prefer just a clean tire look, but would like to get something (conditioner that's good for them) to keep them soft. I'm really afraid of a product turning my whites yellow, or running down from the black rubber & staining as it goes.

25. leadsled01

leadsled01

I have used "futura floor wax" with good results. Just wipe it on and let it dry. Several coats makes it look shinier and lasts longer. You must let it dry completely or road dirt will stick to it.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The key to most of these tire dressings is to not leave them on to dry. If you simply spray them on and let them dry, they almost all dry too shiny. If you spray them on and wipe the excess off with a towel, they'll do a good job, and leave the tire looking new, not shiny.

27. I second the Meguiar's that's waterproof, that is shown in Muttley's since it stays on for a lot longer.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Anyone still use armorall? Thats what Ive used most, for years.
    May not be the best, I dont know, but this is what Ive done "most" over the years.
    First I clean em with bleach white, let dry then Spray the armorall on and let it sit and soak into the tire till nearly dry then wipe the whole tire down insuring uniform coverage, and for a little de'shine.

29. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Armorall changed their formula a few years back...used to be thinner than it is now....when it changed, I did too...I use some stuff my son n law gets me by the gallon that's purple.....something detailers use locally.........

30. Cword

Cword

Wouldn't this be more "traditional" IMG_1159.JPG