Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 54 Chrysler transmission brake lock up.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nada, Jun 3, 2014.

1. nada

nada
    from prescott

My Chrysler has been sitting for a few years and the rear wheel brakes are all locked up,we pulled the car out of its parking spot backwards (in reverse) and it backed out without locking up. When we put it on the truck we went forward and it locked up. I believe it is the transmission brake that is stuck. If it is the transmission brake that is stuck, how do I free the brake to unlock the transmission.

2. There should be an adjustment on the side of the brake drum on the transmission.

3. nada

nada
    from prescott

Does this adjustment disengage the brake drum.

4. nada

nada
    from prescott

And just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the car will go in reverse and the brake does not lock, but when it goes forward it locks up.

5. George

George

Parking brakes, the tranny one is, works that way when dialed in right, @ least on modern cars.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The mini brake drum on the trans tail shaft is virtually identical to a 'regular' drum brake set up. If you look on the front side of the drum you'll see a cover that you can open up to get to the adjuster - just like on a normal drum brake. You can loosen he adjuster and be sure there isn't excessive drag there - could be a frozen cable as well. I had a drum brake car that after sitting for a few months developed a wheel cylinder leak - not enough to notice, but enough to coat the shoes. DEPENDING on speed - I could back up normally, but as I SLOWED down it would prematurely LOCK up tighter than a drum! It was kinda bizarre. Something else to check for - they will act goofy when the shoes get wet.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Very much true! My 54 New Yorker Deluxe did this when the rear axle seals went bad.

8. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

First sort out where the problem is. Disconnect the drive shaft and move it again. If the problem persists it is the service brakes. If the problem goes away the parking brake is the culprit.

9. nada

nada
    from prescott

Thanks for the advice guys. I did a little diggin on all par site and found out that there may be a tool for an adjustment screw. It said it was the star looking gear that I see when I slide the dust cover out and look into where the cable hooks up. They refered to it as a " spoon" does anyone know what tool they are referring to.

10. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

A brake spoon is a small pry bar about 10 inches long with angled ends. The ends are like a blade screwdriver. Evilbay is loaded with them. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality brand as you will use it many times on your 54.

11. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Chrysler service brakes were "self energizing" they worked hard when going forward but not so good when backing. Makes sense because you would not be going fast and strong when backing but way fast forward. If the service brakes are gummed up or rusted they will work hard forward and not so much backward. The parking brake is equal both directions. Did you disconnect the drive shaft?

12. The problem he has sounds like what you've described.

But I think I've asked this question before in another thread. Would a mid 50s Chrysler really have self-energizing brakes? I would have guessed not, thought maybe they had a systen that was called something like "Center Plane" brakes which didn't self -energize. :confused:

13. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I think Chrysler had self energizers in the late 40's when Ford was talking about the "feeling of safety" with their mechanical brakes! And I must emphasize that 'I think".
    Was the drive shaft ever disconnected. That will end the mystery.