Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2014 Indy GoodGuys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Feb 16, 2014.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Hey guys and gals,

Since the GoodGuys Indy show is moving to the Fair Grounds this June, can anyone local to this area help us know where to stay? I've attended the Indy show for many years when it wa at O Reily's Racetrack and all the years when it was at the 500.
    Is the fairground a bigger venue? Why was it moved? Any suggestions on SAFE accomadations? Resturants? I hear the area around the Fairgrounds could be iffy?

Please englighten the folks that need to travel and spend a couple nights there. Thanks!

2. slammed

slammed

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

The Indiana State Fairgrounds is in the middle of the Hood. I took our Labrador Retriever to a Dock Diving competition there during the Indianapolis Boat Show and the area is pretty sketchy. Glad I had a big dog with me walking from the parking area to the venue. I seriously doubt there is any "safe" accommodations anywhere close by and none I would stay at or park my car overnight at. I couldn't think of a worse place for a car show. I'm going to pass on Goodguys Indianapolis.

Attached Files:

4. Branded

Branded

No near by lodging, it's in da hood. I won't be attending Goodguys in Indy until its moved to a safer area. Even the businesses in the area have bars on the windows and doors, and its not to keep me in.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I also am not attending this year. Two reasons for me, the open car show thing and because of the hood. BUT if I were going I would stay in the same hotels that everyone has been staying at in the past for the GG event in Indy. I wouldn't stay anywhere near the fairgrounds.

If anyone is looking for a cool event to do in the midwest that same Saturday I do believe the Sins of Steel event outside of Detroit will be the same Saturday as the GG Indy show.......as long as ya don't mind your car getting dusty and dirty parking in the gravel.;)

6. 42merc

42merc

7. mortys40

mortys40

Been going to that show for years but gotta stay home this year, the open show for the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s vehicles is just too much to take, 50s and 60s are OK. Usually stayed near the airport on the southwest side but got my buddies trailer broke into last year and two vehicles stolen out of their trailers off the same lot and this is supposed to be one of the better sides of town.
    As far as eats, Mug & Bun on 10th street is an old burger drive-in still having curb hops and awesome root beer. Kings ribs on 16th street about a mile East of the 500 track has the best ribs but don't go after dark and St. Elmos steak house downtown, but take a butt load of funds, but they do have the best steak and shrimp cocktail in the Midwest.
    Of course they have the gormet White Castle and Cracker Barrel for the real rodders.

8. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

One more grouch here that won't attend Indy this year. Don't need the open show format or a visit to that neighborhood. I can stay home and see hordes of new Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers at the local dealerships. And I could get mugged right here in town, too.

9. I gave up on good guys when the drag racing left. So I will not be going but don't let the fairgrounds scare you away,it's no worse than any other major city. Just find a decent hotel north about 10-15 min. Somewhere between 82nd and 96th st. Would be a start.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

You can shoot north on Fall Creek Parkway and it becomes I69 up by Fishers an Noblesville. Probably the easiest and safest way in or out.

I have been to Mecum and the 4wheel Jamboree recently and if they block the fairgrounds off in the same way for goodguys it should be a pretty good time. The 4wheel guys had a constant cruise all the way around, pretty much like the old Car Craft Nationals when they were in Indy many moons ago.

I don't really see a problem with late models. There will likely be way more cars than a person is able to see in a day or three anyway.

Regarding the drag racing, I believe there will be action at the drag track as well that weekend.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I might go, but probably wont even go to the show. I just look forward to the parties like Bubba's and God Speed's and Jo Kerr's ETC... I can live without the show it aint been that good since they moved it the last time.

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I'm starting to not like Goodguys anymore.

Ago

13. FityFive

FityFive

I'm going to check out the new location this year and then form an opinion. I have been to the 1962 Motorama put on by the Indy Road Rockets which is held at the fairgrounds and felt safe.

14. Look North, Fall Creek\Binford Boulevard turns into I-69. Plenty of Hotels and Eateries off 82nd Street, 96th Street and 116th Street. 15 mins from the Fair Grounds.
    There is not much Hotel\Motel directly around the Fair. The fair grounds are nice.

15. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks Guys for all the info. I might come up for the day or stay where I was last year. Down south by the 500.
    You have to listen to the locals but this open roll call gets away from Hot Rodding was supposed to be. They have their own venues. I guess money talks and bullshit and traditional rods walk!

16. paintcan54

paintcan54

Tierod is right go north out of the fairgrounds. Only thing is the traffic is a bitch in that area, make sure you know where you want to go and turn off, as Binford turns into I 69 at 82st. Also there are a couple of hotels that are rent by the week stay out of them, I can't remember the names right now. I will check them out and post the names up later they are at the 82st. exit.

17. racer_dave

racer_dave

My son races at the quarter midget track at the fairgrounds. Once in the grounds I've never had safety issues. I haven't had any right around the track either, but I don't stay there at night. Head north towards Carmel/Allisonville Rd/Keystone Ave are for plenty of good hotels.

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

stay on the southside of Indy, clean, safe and cheaper. try the Southport Rd area

most state fairgrounds are not in the best areas. look at the fairgrounds in Columbus, Ohio, not in the best area but just a short jog off I71 makes it a easy entrance/exit

you'll be safe in Indy, just don't hang around outside the fairgrounds once it's dark

19. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks, good advice here!

20. FityFive

FityFive

Looks like the weather may not want to cooperate again this year :(

21. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Just head west from the fairgrounds to west 38th street and 465 , a couple places to stay there and tons of eating places .
    Jump on 465 ( either direction) and the next couple exits are good and have plenty of places to stay.
    AND dont forget our spam a rama Friday night on main street in Speedway.......

22. 1959apache

1959apache

stay on the southside outside of the loop (greenwood) its a safe area and a lot of hotels that aren't used a lot so they aren't run down.

23. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any place on the west or north part of the outerbelt,, I-465, should be OK. Also, lots of eating choices there. Not sure what Goodguys is doing and don't have a clue why they moved location and dates again. Unless they move it back to Clarmont and the drag venue I don't see them lasting much longer in Indy. Opening it up almost any car seems to be a clear sign that they are struggling to keep this one alive. Current local weather forecast is for great day on Friday and Sat with rain coming in Sat evening.

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yeah I'd bet money it's all but done. Shame too when it was at IRP it was one of the best events ever, GG or otherwise with all the pre parties and stuff at nite too. For the 2nd year now I'm driving over to go to The parties but I'm not even going to bother with the show itself.

25. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Its a shame that they moved put of rhe 500 that made it a unique event. I am skipping this yr too the fairgrounds are a dump. If they were lvg the 500 they should have went to the Drag Strip where the US Nationals are held

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I want Goodguys to be sucessfull, but for some reason, I'm really not feeling the venue change. If there werent 600 vintage racecars running here at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this weekend, I might go. But if I have to choose (and I do), Goodguys loses.

27. deuce354

deuce354

I,m going on Friday & Saturday to the Speedway to check things out & educate myself. Looking to see what is involved , possibly running my sprint car there next year. There are about 700 cars pre entered . About 100 oval track cars. Mostly road race cars. But they are cool also. Non stop racing all weekend.