Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Impala Hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Hi mate, I like the plate toppers but can't see them fitting in the licence plate recess over the fuel filler.
    Going to a local car show this weekend called GM day, open to all GM cars, should be able to scope out a '59 or '60 hardtop to see the fit of the drip rail molds. Oddly Cadillacs did not have the extra trim mold on the drip rail that Impalas have.
    On the painting of the car, are you going back to metal because the original work was bad? Or just to make it even better?
    i got a reply form the tech guy at the company that made the repro T 3's and he said they never had a faulty report like what I described. The T 3's are supposed to be like standard lamps but better and having the triangular logo at the centre of the glass lens, as was manufactured back in the day, just looks like what was fitted to all GM cars back then.
    I'll keep working on this cause the repros were a lot more expensive than the standard ones.
    Do you plan to make your car jump like the ones we see on you tube or just to sit it in the weeds?
    john

2. gallogiro

gallogiro

hey aussie, on the car most of it im just scuffing and spraying since I already did the body back when I first painted it. but what im doing is as I go down to primer if I don't like the look of the primer as in any small cracks or spots, going down to bare metal.
    old filter on the right, new filter on the left. been waiting for this, 3 stage air line oil, particle and water filter and desiccant dryer. ready to spray its on now

[​IMG]

I didn't even want to shoot the primer on the metal till I got this filter so its on now no more sitting and waiting ;) and this car is going to have airbags, but the wheels will never leave the ground im not going to abuse it like I do my 65 especially since I put so much time and money into the whole undercarriage, steering and suspension.

3. low51fan

low51fan

I really like the look of the 59's and this one is just going to be awesome when done. Keep the great progress pics coming.

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks low51, its new paint job will look way better than how it looked before. im actually ready to spray primer now that I got the air unit today. bad thing is the winds are really bad, almost 30+mph winds here in my city I cant do anything even with a slight breeze I cant so I have to wait till it dies down or find a garage I can spray in.

whats funny is how I sent a mass text asking guys I know that have garages that aren't too nice or all cluttered and asked if I taped up the walls with plastic covering and tarps if I can spray for a day and all except one my good friend chris said no. chris has a storage unit and said I could use it let him know in advance so he can clear out some things to accommodate. everyone else even though I said id tarp it all up and clean up after said the same thing "overspray will get everywhere". YET, AFTER, some of them told me hey how much to paint my car the paint is faded or that the clear coat is peeling or has a dent. THEN yea suddenly theyre garage is available. I replied the same shit, cant man there will be overspray everywhere but I know a shop that for $4000 will paint it back to stock ill give you the number If you want.

my friend chris is the only one that has come through and been there for me. when I first found this car I was 2000 bucks short and was worried it was going to slip out of my hands it was a great find and others were asking about it at the same time. within the hour that I mentioned it to him he went to the bank and pulled out the 2000 bucks to loan me to make sure I don't lose it. I was shocked, but I accepted because I was good for it and he knew I was but I only agreed if he took the signed title to my 65 as collateral to ensure hed get his money back and had nothing to worry about, wasn't a mistake. I took the loan but refused the title. it only took me alittle over a week to pay him back in full and thanks to him and his good heart I was able to bring this car home. I never needed or asked for anything and hes smart hes not like that with everyone just those he trusts but after that but he always offers to help and it goes beyond him knowing im good for it hes one of the best guys I ever met so I look out for him as well and got his back 100% and I was too busy to do his boat but when he is ready to do the interior on his 48 im going to do it for free. this is chris, and his car and a girl I had model for it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I thank god I have a friend like him not for what he can do for me but for who he is especially with so many others I know that only are around when they need something or talk about me when your back is turned or a scene with so many fake people and I posted this because I know some of them read this

[​IMG]

thank you ;)

5. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Hi Reyes, you sure can sort out who your friends are when you ask a favour. Let's face it, its like school fees, you learn as you pay or pay as you learn!
    Looks as if your mate has got a cool ride in that '48. Next to the '59 I'd like to have an Aero '48. But no space here for another car.Cheers, J

6. 4psi

4psi

Keep up the good work man! You are doing a great job! I am digging the 59 hard top!

7. gallogiro

gallogiro

yea I know that now aussie. did you ever figure out your drip rail on your car? im working on the roof tomorrow so ill try on the drip rail molding. and thanks 4psi, almost there excited myself to see how the paint comes out. what sucks is I plan to paint this week, but weather forcast calls for rain Tuesday. if its not the wind its rain. im still going to give it a shot, the trunk lid and bumper kit for sure. just curious once its dry to the touch, if I bring it in the garage is that ok? I ask because I have relatives visiting and they'll be sleeping in the same room

8. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

[​IMG]Yes, I think I got it sorted out. The two rear glass (hockey stick shaped) side molds go on first after the rear glass long top mold, then the two long drip rail molds go on; first the long wider mold and then the long drip rail mold. I'll post some photos as I go. j

9. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Also, uploaded a photo I took yesterday at an Air Show of a PBY Catalina night patrol with Felix on the side.

10. racer_dave

racer_dave

killer thread!! subscribed. can't wait to see it finished.

11. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Hi Reyes, how's it going?
    Long time since .......
    I hope things are going well with everything.
    Nearly finished the stainless for the car.
    Just to summarise first mold for the rear window is the long top mold that goes across the top of the rear window. The fake air vent goes over that and is secured in by three threaded posts in the air scoop that are held in by hex nuts inside the glass.Then the two shorter "L" shaped or hockey stick shaped molds are fitted to each side of the rear glass window gasket or rubber seal. There is a small and unique clip that keeps the top of the "L" mold snug over the end of the long top molding so that it all sits nicely along the top of the rear glass.
    Next molds to fit are the three molds that go along the lower rear window. First the long centre mold followed by the two smaller end stainless molds that curve around and meet the bottom of the rear window pillar. These molds are held in by some unique clips, five (5) for the long lower mold and one each for the small curved molds.
    Next are the two long drip rail molds to be fitted. When I removed them a long time ago I remember that I started to remove them from the front of the car. Refitting them I started at the back at the bottom of the rear glass pillar. It is important to try to get the long garnish mold in first and to do this (for this is the toughest one to fit), it is necessary to start pushing the mold as close as possible to the bottom of the rear pillar, then carefully pushing in a small part at a time. I found that using vise grips to hold the inserted parts in place and working my way along the mold gradually pushing each section in as I go. Depending on how thick the paint is you might need to shave the channel a bit to accomodate the "U" shaped channel of the garnish mold.
    Next is the other long drip rail molding that fits over the steel drip rail along the roof. This mold should again start as close as possible to the bottom of the rear glass pillar so that it ends up at the right point at the front of the car.
    I also found that spraying a bit of WD 40 helped a lot in easing the molds into place although some one suggested soapy water as helpful.
    That's about it for now; I still need to finish fitting the front windshield side garnish molds near the flipper windows, will talk about that later!
    Cheers, John

12. gallogiro

gallogiro

hey guys, thanks im glad you guys are enjoying my thread. had trouble logging on I forgot my password but in the meanwhile I wasn't asleep at the wheel I was still working on this car. ill continue this with some pictures of a car show we had here in so cal called wing fest, strictly 59 60 chevy wing cars

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

check out the air cleaner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. gallogiro

gallogiro

15. gallogiro

gallogiro

16. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

met walt from walts customs in Arizona and ciadella interiors supplier the #1 interior kit company out there, got compliments from him at the show so coming from him It was very humbling made me feel proud felt like im doing a good job to get praise from him =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. gallogiro

gallogiro

high caliber cars huh. just when I thought man mine is coming out nice I see this and see I got a long way to go to compete with whats out there. but mine will just be a humble street cruiser, with some custom touches like this ;) picked up a new skill, what do you guys think =D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. gallogiro

gallogiro

and here is what I picked up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

add metal flake paint to my list of skills, its on now going to have fun with it but not going overboard im keeping it tasteful =) flakes sprayed in clear coat not dry flake buster. and buried in almost 1/8 euro clear coat has depth

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

WoW!! Never seen such a huge collection of finned cruisers; Good to see all the progress with your ride. I believe these cars should be out there doing what they do best, cruising!
    Cheers, J

20. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

OMG, I just read this whole thread. WOW!!!!!! Man you have really out did yourself with this one. I love it. This 59 is going to be 1 sweeeeeeeeet ride when its done.
    Great job so far. Keep it up.

21. gallogiro

gallogiro

wasn't it aussie? man, honestly I cant compete with that but ill try my best to put out a very nice cruiser. and thanks halfasskustoms, trying my best, learning as I go in some cases (youtube is an excellent teacher). its definitely going to look a lot sweeter with the metal flake paint im going to do to it. im hitting it hard, want it done by summer all it needs is to finish up the paint job which im currently doing. did the trunk today, cant tell because its white but its painted white now but looks primer, its white though and ready for metal flake =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. gallogiro

gallogiro

ready to hit the roof, wings and trunk now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. gallogiro

gallogiro

materials for todays work, moving along just fine hoping to get a lot done in the next week

[​IMG]

24. mikeyyeah

mikeyyeah

Looking real nice man. Cant waut to see it finished

posted from under my rock.

25. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks mike, progressing quickly. after I completely paint the car it should be just days after that the car is done =)

let my trunk sit all day today to dry, temp was in the 90s so im sure after today its ready to wet sand and polish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

was too damn hot to work in the sun so I got this thing back out

[​IMG]

now ready to flake the next part of the car

[​IMG]

ok for a while now I was asked by many different members on here about putting the rain gutter trim/molding along the top of the side windows, I guess they don't go back on so easy. well the thing is, the gutter is packed with some kind of bondo or stucco type stuff that sealed the gutter when the trim molding was put on, maybe it held it on tight as well. but when you pull the moldings off the stuff is still in there. so I took a hammer and flathead screw driver and chiseled out as much as I could out

[​IMG]

if you get the right angle, tapping it lightly will break off big pieces and will get it out fast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then I blew it out and wiped it down with paint thinner and sprayed it with rust inhibitor and sealer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now when I put the molding on it goes on perfect it actually has alittle bit of play so I will have to replace the stuff I took off with some silicone to seal even better the gutter and hold and keep the molding on better. but that's the problem with trying to put the molding back on without taking that stuff off it keeps it from going back on and its already dry so it wont help hold it on. if you look at mine now, when you take the stuff off its supposed to look nice and square like the trunk rain gutter and once done youll be able to put your moldings on just fine just use silicone to hold it tight and seal

tomorrow I spray primer then white, then wed I spray flake and clear coat,then Thursday start the wings

26. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Hi Reyes,
    Nioce job on the panels, that car will look cool with the new colors. With the drip rail moldings, I've got them all on the car, see my description of the process in m y earlier email.
    When I removed the molds originally I did not see any bondo to take out, it was a tight fit getting them in and out, but some WD40 helped ease things.
    Not sure silicone is needed because the water should flow down the drip rail and down out the rear window pillar I think.
    Weather getting cooler here so time in the garage limited to the weekends.
    Also trying to figure out how to fit the beltline line windows "fuzzy" strips. Going from all the photos of the Impala show, the pieces with the flat chrome mold strip go on the inside panels of the car and the rest on the outers. (The kit I got (from PUI
    ) had two different types of strips.). I'll let you know how it goes.
    Cheers, J

27. Gallogiro - I've been following your builds, especially the '59, and they are awesome. You have so much ability and energy. Keep up the good work! Thanks, too, for posting the pix of the WingFest. Outstanding '59s. Yours will fit right in. I liked them all, but I took special interest in the red & white '59 El Camino. It's the same color scheme as mine, although my El Camino has 55 year old faded paint and a few more dings and dents. If you have any more pix of that El Camino, I wudn't mind seeing them. Now that I've seen your friend Chris' '48 Chevy, I'm thinking of trading my '34 Chevy for one. His seems to attract some beautiful butterflies!;):D

28. gallogiro

gallogiro

hey aussie, do you mean the weatherstripping strips that hug the glass on the doors and quarter window? or the molding itself the stainless molding? let me know, im in the process of taking mine off since im painting and repolish them so I can take a look. on mine, the fuzzy strips are along the outside of the window and the squeegee part is on the inside of the car. from what I know its always bee the other way around the fuzzy inside and squeegee rubber outside. unless its correct for this year and model. is that what youre talking about? do you have links to the two different strips you can post?

and thanks bowtie coupe =) those wingfest show pics are something else aren't they? some of these guys really put a lot of work into their cars.mine will be a humble little street cruiser compared to those, but little touches will make it stand out a bit. as for the el camino, let me get more pictures from my buddy I took with me he took a bunch of pictures of it he loved it el caminos are big here in so cal especially 59 el caminos. if youre paint is original, id try to keep it that way you have a survivor and believe it or not it gives it value. some dings and dents you might be able to get out without molesting the paint but faded paint gives it character, its patina it took 55 years to make.

34 chevys are cool, I want a 30s next to have a car out of every decade. his is getting a complete repaint and interior makeover, ill post pics when hes done with them =)

wrapped up some things today. continued from Tuesday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. gallogiro

gallogiro

30. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks better in person, just wait now to wet sand and polish. working on the wings now. got a question, going metal flake paint instead of stock white. took the in line sander and noticed the wings were high on the ends and low in the center. wings on a 59 are perfectly flat like a board or table

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

question is, is it possible to sand down the center down past the paint to the primer or existing 2 year old filler and fill with new filler, will it bond good? I just don't want to sand off existing filler and create more work when I can just use that one.

second question, car was painted 2 years ago and sat in the hot sun and rain since. but a few months after it was painted it got a crack, small one out of the whole 2 sides of the wings. I was planning if it is possible to use the same filler to hone out a little valley to the metal along the cracks and refill with filler. possible?

[​IMG]

also, on the parts I went down to bare metal it looked reddish brown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

should I worry? would it have broke throught he filler after this long if it was going to be a problem?
    thanks in advance guys, any help/advice highly appreciated