Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 3w vs 5w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by volvobrynk, Jun 4, 2014.

1. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

A lot of friends think I'm crazy, but I prefer the deuce in a 3 window, and the model 40 in a 5 window... Don't take offense as I would gladly drive either vise versa ( I'm still in the A coupe club) and the number of windows is not the reason why, it's the price!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Yours is an A coupe so you're kinda out of the equation here if you're using your car as evidence.

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The 3w 32 has such a long sleek roof line, and looks beutiful.
    The 5w looks more like a model A, with the special updated features, that makes the 32 desired.

So if 3wLarry likes the 3w so much, and it a ladys car, does that makes him a ladys man :p

I Sometimes feel from what I read on this wonderfull site that most people also goes after avlible cars, and. Often dreams of something else.

I've often sees that people becomes to a little "presioss", in my best golum/smegul voice.
    Especialy car owner with cars with small amounts ever build. Like the deuce, the 54 1/2 AD trucks abd so on.
    And I Do understand why!

So the 3w is even more rare then the 5w? Someone on here has the numbers!

I completly get what HRP point about it's more hot rod looking. But there is also some bada$$ coupés on here. I get a feeling that 50/50 of all 32 still driving coupes ended up as rods, but that might be wrong, but not completly.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This underlines my point, although it has 5 Windows, please dont belive you are one of the lucky few who owns a 5w!
    I might be wrong, the lack of smileys makes one Think that he wants to set him straight, about his inferior body style.
    It might just be me :)

5. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Back in the day (50's ) when I was a kid the three window was the holy grail

6. No, I am not saying anything about an inferior body style. I am saying that A models don't count in this discussion because they only came as 5 windows. There were no production 3 window A coupes.

And yes, I won't be surprised if someone drags out that 3w factory prototype photo again any time someone says there were no 3w A Models.:rolleyes:

7. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

32 5w 51,794 / 3w 22,145

33 5w 43,041 / 3w 22,479

34 5w 26,878 / 3w 26,348

Total 32 Coupes - 73,939 Total 33-34 Coupes - 108,746

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's for sure ! I'd have one of each if I could.

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sorry, I read it like you ment; silence, you have no say in this, you don't even own the real deal!
    This is why I often misunderstand/misread people, and think there are feeling better then others.
    My appologies! :)

10. For any of us to know which was more desirable new we would probably be crowding 100 years of age.

I personally am more of a model 40 fan than a deuce fan and they came with the 3 window/5window option as well. The 3 windows get more attention from the gotta have it "cool" crowd. I personally prefer the 5 window. In the 33/34 model years the 5 window had less wood and that has always been my excuse, but the truth is that I just like the looks of a 5 window better.

As for desirability in general across the board the 3 window is more desirable, they are the ones that win car shows, and get raves in magazines. Or at least they have in the past.

11. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

One of the local oldtimers here drag raced a 32 5 window and pulled it with a 32 3 window.He told me he raced the 5 window because you did not have to worry about the doors flying open like you did with a 3 window.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. They actually make safety latches for that. :D

The doors flying open has always been a complaint for anything with suicide doors. This is off topic I think but perhaps of value to anyone who wants to own a 3 window. The major reason that the doors fly open is flex either in the chassis or the body. Cure the flex cure the flop.

When one was new and came off the line built correctly the doors did not fly open. it was only after they began to loosen up that it became a problem and it seldom happened on a smooth road going in a straight line.

13. st.rod

st.rod

Three 4 me

Larry

14. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

15. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

there were deluxe and standard in both 3 and 5 window. standard had one horn one windshield wiper and one taillight, the deluxe had two of each.

16. Spidercoupe,
    Was the deluxe optioned 2 taillights as early as the deuce and the model 40? I always thought it didn't happen until the '37 Model year?

its just a question to enhance my historical knowledge.

17. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

I didn't read in the op that we were talking Fords,i chose my 37 Packard 3w bcoz it's different,3ws to me look tuff,dominant,'ready to pounce' but I'd have another 5w anyday! Tell me I'm crazy! Gaz.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  18. 65 standard....You got that right on...KILLER HOT ROD
    As you can tell I like the 3 windows...But hell I like all the 32's 33's & 34's no matter how many doors they have or even NO TOP as all the roadsters are bad ass..

19. Spidercoupe, as far as FOMOCO was concerned, the 5W was the Standard and the 3W was the Deluxe in 1932.

20. scotti32

scotti32

Love all deuces and model 40's. But to me you just cannot beat the look of a deuce 5w.

21. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

1. Deuce 5W
    2. Model 40 3W

22. tofords

tofords

IMG_5347.JPG IMG_9858.jpg Yes 32 I like the 5/w but 33,34,35,and 36's it has to be a 3/w Frank