Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Very nice @509garyd alot better than the junk I find at garage sales around here. Been a long time since I had a decent score. I'm assuming they're originals (not prints)? Are they signed anywhere? Any idea who did them?

sent via classroom note. pass it on

2. Yes I was impressed with them, they are original hand painted on thin sheet metal and upon closer looking at them they both have a small signature named Rick on them. Don't worry garage sales around here are ordinary as well. But I just happened to drive past this one and seen these sitting up the driveway and couldn't resist to look further, didn't need to even try and get them down on price.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey GaryD. Great score, I think you stole those 2 pieces. From your images it looks like you have a great collection.
    Here's a few shots of some of the 'stuff' I have hanging around in my garage.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Hey Geoff no where near as good as yours, Tony's or my Dads collections. Can't wait to see some more work done on the last grasp soon? Been playing with a roof for the roadster? Just trying to get that real low look, I've still got to modify the back bow a little bit and should be good to get covered.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401521534.298808.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401521703.598922.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401521937.015748.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401521975.850071.jpg

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Gary. My garage is my sanctuary, I think it is the place where I am at most peace with the world these days. It is a place that contains most of the things that are my life. It is a space where I can create. It is a place where I can think about anything and everything and it is a place where I can keep in touch with what is going on all around the world via this computer, that I am using right now in my garage to write this.
    I have worked hard to have what I have and the garage and all it contains. Originally in it's place was a humble carport that my dad built. That evolved into a garage, all be it without a door. But a garage where I worked on many projects. Then around 20 years ago I built this current garage and over time I have turned it in to what it is today.
    Anyhow, enough of all that.
    Here a some shots of a couple of 1/24th plastic models I did many years ago, of Peter ( Stork ) Vansittart's sport coupe. The primered version is how it looked when he first got it on the road and the yellow version is how it looked after he rebuilt it a few years later.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  6. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

exactly Geoff, I share your sentiments and acknowledge the same feelings about my own garage. That is exactly why I installed a toilet in there when we built the house and a dead lock on the garage side entrance door! unfortunately I need to spend more time in there and miss the smell of paint, oil and old trim.

7. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Hi GaryD love the look of the roadster roof profile looks mucho low!

8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I'm hearing you Tom.
    Here's a shot of the old garage, taken by Robbie. That's Robbie's roadster in the stall beside the coupe. I think the coupe would have only been on the road a couple of years. I later on moved the tear drops closer in towards the license plate for a more early look!
    It's amazing what I got done in that old carport that became a garage.
    Thinking about it now brings back great memories of my late father! It was a special place, for sure.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  9. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I have just spent an enjoyable few evenings reading this entire thread and it seemed to me like reading the Rodders Journal. You all seem to have the spirit of this thing called hot rodding just like some of the great people from the past. I think this is what the young people are trying to capture in what they call rat rods but this is better. I really don't think the last grasp coupe will ever get built but the journey is what it is all about. Thanks for sharing.
    (my avatar is a 31 Chev my grandson and I are building)

10. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Hey Geoff,with all the "Crapola" on the TV there is no better place to be creative than in the garage,whether its in Tonys or yours,and the best part is usually something is created that is truely an inspiration to others, Jeff

lowlids likes this.
  11. 63Compact

63Compact

Those Buick drums look familiar Gary. Love the model of storks Sport coupe Geoff its always been a fav. of mine.

12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. It's nice to think people may be inspired by what Tony and I do, I guess individually and when we are working on stuff together.
    Hey Compact , yeah Stork's sports coupe is one of my favorite hot rods also.
    I was just looking at my photobucket libarary and came across a series of shots I took of the green 1/18th diecast model I showed recently. The color was inspired by Tony's salt coupe. I just reckon this is a neat series of shots.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Wow direct drive 6-71 blown ardun in a hammered 34 3 window, I just found my next project but with a true track nose!

14. Love the coupe Geoff, low lids style.

Just got my new esky today.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401788682.313577.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401788701.596296.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401788723.463043.jpg

15. This Model coupe is for Shane, this is how's your can look!!!

And the F100 model is similar style to the real one I use to own, wish I had that back now....

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401789187.642278.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401789203.509974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401789233.476196.jpg

16. My good old Mum gave me one of Dad's hot rod remote controls on the weekend, love it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401790953.406759.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401791010.455403.jpg

17. redzula

redzula

I love this thread for all the super cool and totally random at times hot rod... stuff.
    Art, toys, badass rod runs and get togethers, hot rod builds. Etc.. it is just awesome.

18. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

dtThankyou for the replies guys.
    Hey GaryD, here is my version of tha 1/6 coupe. A long term project that has so far consumed many hours. Still a long ways to go. This body has been sliced and dice more than one could imagine!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Geoff the Vansittart models are ace. That thing blew me away at Mildura when it showed up in yellow. Best stance, whole thing just rocked the house really.

20. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

seeing how we are all locked up in our garages for winter, here is a little of whats going on in my garage in the western subarbs of Melbourne.

photo (6780) 1.jpg photo (13a) 2.jpg

21. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Hey Tommy
    Great shots.....Love the cool cars,parts and theme,Great work...

Jeff

22. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Looking good Tom. I look forward to the day your Aussie coupe hits the road. I hope before then that I get to lend a hand in it's continuing build.
    Early in the morning I am headed down to Port Fairy. It's been a few months since I was last there and I am really looking forward to it. The pickup is loaded and ready to go. At the moment here, the sky is very clear, so I think it will be a very cool drive and perhaps a little foggy.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

23. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Thanks Jeff and Geoff, now that's the first time I have ever done that!!!
    I have completed all of my commitments at uni and I am officially as of today a free man! That is until about two hours ago signing up for another course????

Geoff I spoke to Tony today and he is looking forward as we all in the cyber hemisphere of the HAMB to some further progress on the LGS. Can't wait to see what you old hands cook up this long weekend. PLEASE plenty of photos showing all the sparks from welding and grinding that make us all feel that we are in that garage with you two! true hot rodding at its best.

And to that chap that thinks the Grasp won't be finished let me tell you that this coupe is a living breathing entity. It is not up to us to judge or predict the outcome, gypsies walk funny because of their crystal balls mate, but as you rightly pointed out to enjoy the journey. For your information and only in my opinion the two blokes fabricating the Grasp are amongst Australian Hot Rodding Elite and have many famous projects to their name so please keep an eye on progress because I am sure you will reverse decision.

fuzzybear likes this.
  24. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Hey Geoff & Tony,a quote from Henry Ford for inspiration.....
    “Coming together is the beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”
    Henry Ford

Have a great weekend

25. Wardog

Wardog

If you think you can or if you think you can not, either way you are right. HF.

26. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
    Socrates

27. redzula

redzula

Yeah hotrods! -redzula

Loo l couldn't resist. Have fun building some shit this weekend and be sure to bring us along for the ride.

28. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks guys.
    They are all great quotes.
    I have a few written on my white board here in the garage.
    Here's one I came up with from my experiences of life.
    'Patience Can't Be Taught Quickly'' Geoff aka whodaky
    Who knows if our 3W will be finished. One thing is for sure, it's journey so far has prompted a lot of discussion and been very inspiring to many.
    There's a very brief recap with images.
    I need to hit the road!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

29. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Actually I was not trying to sell the guys short but at my age I might not be able to finish the trip they started, but as I said the enjoyment is really in the journey. What a great thread that encompasses almost every aspect of hot rodding.

30. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

As I said in a post of mine above I went down to Rita and Tony's recently.
    I am in the process of writing up what we got up to on the weekend. So I will do a series of posts on that soon.
    In the mean time here are a few shots. Two are of our 3w and the third is a 3w from the HAMB that I have moved the wheels on.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]