Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Substitute for "Dynamat"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mack57, Jun 4, 2014.

1. mack57

mack57

Hi
    I thought I saw a post awhile back re: a Home Depot sub for Dynamat? What are you guys using?

Thanks, Mack

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. The rolls of the silver insulation is what I used in my car.,,cut it and used spray adhesive to hold it in place. HRP

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Peel and Seal in the roofing section

4. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

What do you do about getting to the brakes or battery, just cut a hole in it? Or is there something you can put under the carpet that is removable?

5. Cut to fit the cover of your access piece and glue it down. HRP

6. Capture.JPG

I used this from Home Depot

Model T1 likes this.
  7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

There is a HUGE file on it here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...great-sound-dampening-material.711889/page-15 An update on my post due to health & money issues I still have not installed the headliner in my '54 the Peel N Stick is still just fine the temps here in Phoenix are running around 110 and still no smell "don't forget the seam tape".The car is out in direct sunlight you cannot put your hand on the outside of the roof you will get burned but inside you can hold it as long as you want.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. gcrod

gcrod

I used the peel and seal and then glued in aluminum foil and closed cell foam insulation. The doors shut solid now on my 37 pu.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. sedan33

sedan33

Another vote for Peel N Seal, $100 for 100 sq ft.

10. It's not in a roll, but I'm impressed with Lizzard Skin. They offer one for sound and one for temp.
    Use them both.

11. Used it on my last three cars. No complaints.

Instagram @baronsmetal

12. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

used peel and seal on the floor, doors and trunk. Was weary of using it on the underside of the roof. I can definitely say it helps on the sound part. I used the aluminum bubble wrap for the roof and floors. I would do it again in a heart beat.

13. JunkYardGuy

JunkYardGuy

I purchased a product from home depot called Frost King. Foil insulation with adhesive foam backing. Came in a roll, enough to do cab floor of my truck. Cut down heat and road noise a lot. Cost about $30.00 per roll. Easy to cut and install too.

14. fatkoop

fatkoop

Just drove my '40 yesterday after putting 2 layers of Peel-N-Seal on the floors and 2 layers of foil-backed bubble wrap everywhere else. I can't believe the difference in the car. It feels tight and quiet for the first time ever. It was in the 90's here today and the car almost seems to have AC compared to what it was before. I'm a believer.

15. mack57

mack57

Is the Aluminum bubble wrap also a Home Depot item?

16. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

I used peal and seal in my F-100. Great stuff for the money. I will use it again in my 35 coupe.

17. mack57

mack57

Ok, I'm using frost king self adhesive foil backed in a roll. Do you use anything on seams? It wants to peel up....

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Seam Tape is available from Lowes: sku # 42366 99986 Multi-Purpose Foil tape by Nashua Products.

19. LjH

LjH

peel and seal has the advantage of a backing. I have used all three products mentioned and find peel and seal easier to use because you can cut and test fit it. Frost King unrolls and exposes the adhesive so it's harder to use. The closed foam material needs to be taped down to keep it in place. Look for it in Home Depot of Lowes in the roofing department.

20. mack57

mack57

Thanks All!! Have a great weekend!

21. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

A buddy of mine is renovating his cottage, he found hundreds of old Swanson TV dinner trays from the 50's used as insulation. He's saving them for me, I'll use those to insulate my Merc. Now THAT'S traditional!

22. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403271906.880672.jpg

23. mack57

mack57

Holy cow! That's awesome!!! Post pics when you're done!

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wow, somebody couldn't cook or just loved TV dinners!

25. For those of you that mounted your master cylinder under the floor along with your battery, it would
    be easy to get to it if you incorporated a gas door like this 55 Chevy's (or any flat door will work, plus their spring loaded) in the floor pan and then you could spray or stick your sound and heat insulation down, then put a piece of Velcro on the gas door and attach a piece of carpeting to the Velcro and cover with a floor mat. It might work without the Velcro just experiment.
    I suggested it to a friend of mine who owns a '51 Chevy so he could access the master cylinder.
    It worked out great, It's just a thought.

[​IMG]