Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration USPS Introduces Hot Rod Stamps – Get 'em while they're hot!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Hot Rods Stamps
    https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_689204

Book of 20 - Forever/49-cents

With these two stamps, the U.S. Postal Service® celebrates hot rods, the fast, powerful vehicles that thrill-seeking enthusiasts have been modifying for nearly a century. The cars depicted are 1932 Ford® “Deuce” roadsters.

Hot Rods, the fast, powerful vehicles that thrill-seeking enthusiasts have been modifying for nearly a century, are celebrated on these two eye-popping stamps. Each features an iconic 1932 Ford® “Deuce” roadster. One showcases a black ’32 Ford roadster with orange flames running down the car’s body; the other showcases a red ’32 Ford roadster. Both illustrations were created digitally.

Hot rodding first took hold in the 1920s, when young men began modifying their cars. Aficionados souped up engines, lowered chassis, chopped bodies, and cut excess weight, creating light, fierce machines that looked and moved unlike anything that had rolled off assembly lines.

The Ford Model T and the Ford Model A were popular among early hot rodders, but the 1932 Ford roadster was considered the hottest of them all. The aesthetics of the ’32 Ford roadster made it even more appealing. Its graceful body shape and other stylistic features, including the distinctive grille, endeared it to its fans.

The Hot Rods stamps are being issued as a First-Class Mail® Forever® booklet. These Forever stamps will always be equal in value to the current First-Class Mail one-ounce rate.

Art director Derry Noyes designed the stamps, which feature art by John Mattos.

Made in the USA.

Issue Date: June 6, 2014

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    LOU WELLS, Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Those are pretty neat! Might just have to pick up a set.

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I might be able to keep track of a book of those. Cool.

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Thanks bought the little framed art for my Dad should be here just in time for Fathers Day.

6. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe we should start a philatelist section...?

..Them stamps are pretty cool though..!
    T

7. Awesome recognition!

Someone will probably ask for the "r@# rod stamps!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. I know someone that will be interested, the one stamp looks like his car was used as inspiration.

S6300270.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow, this is great news. But... did you know you already can have custom stamps printed, and make stamps of YOUR car? (or friends, or places, or whatever). The USPS has had this feature for quite some time. I've never done it, but it isn't all that expensive, considering how cool it is and that it's the real deal. Great for seasonal / special cards and notes. Gary

See: https://www.usps.com/send/create-mail-and-postage.htm

dana barlow likes this.
  10. The actual official release and celebration of these stamps is scheduled for this Fri. morning, June 6, at 11:00 am at the NSRA Nats East. A gathering of Deuces and a flash mob of 50 sock-hop dancers on a stage will accompany the event.

Dino 64 likes this.
  11. Kool...to the Post Office I go....

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Better wait until the stamps get there! Or buy them online.

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks,interesting for sure,I didn't know at all about this deal.

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Buy plenty of them (you will use them all eventually) to show how popular hot rods are and maybe they will come out with some more.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Buy a book of the regular stamps just in case you really need to send a letter. Can't help but like their choice of images. I always say if you look up hotrod in the dictionary you'll see a picture of a Deuce highboy.:p

16. ...........Barry Meguire is going to be on hand signing autographs and filming a spot for an upcoming Car Crazy tv show.

Dino 64 likes this.
  17. Thanks for the stamp info-Just ordered on-line....Nice to see someone appreciates our hobby.

18. My Red Roadster front and center for the stamp release ceremony.

Attached Files:

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Another FYI,
    If any of you are stamp collecters, you already know that all kinds of special collector's items are published by the USPS, like first day covers, full sheets, etc. for each and every stamp they issue. A few days ago I ordered a framed deal for the Hot Rod stamps, 20 bucks and postage (LOL). I haven't got it yet, but just FYI this and other items you might like can be found here. Gary

https://www.usps.com/stamps/hot-rods.htm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  20. Thanks, Gary, for that reminder...............Don.

21. Picked up a book of them today. Cool!

22. Cool photo Don! HRP

[​IMG]

Dino 64, gnichols and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Thanks, Danny. The whole thing was a little unorganized. They had about 30 folding chairs set up to within a few feet of the stage along with a couple of signs on pedestals that were way too close to the cars and The Car Crazy filming crew had cameras and mikes on booms all over the place. I got there after the guy with the Black car after driving 125 miles that morning and pulled in, staged the car like the stamp which I had already seen an image of (front facing the crowd). The next thing I knew, one of the folks from the PR firm that the USPS hired for the event came over and told me to turn the car around (facing the stage). I actually had to start and move the car four times and re-position it in some pretty tight confines. Needless to say, I was getting a little annoyed with the "not really car people" who were conducting the affair. Now my buddies have labeled the photo: .........."lothiandon goes postal"....:D

Dino 64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. icon_lol.gif
    That's funny,our friends never miss a chance to dig in the spurs! icon_lol.gif HRP

25. Way cool!! I bought 5 books yesterday

26. Buy 'em before they decide to raise the postage rate again.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Dino 64 likes this.
  27. And just when I thought I was finally strong enough to not have the urge to lick a hot rod................damn it to hell............back to therapy !!

28. Back up just for the fun of it.

D-Russ and Dino 64 like this.
  29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Jay Leno did a show with the actual roadsters and the artist that did the original art along with the postmaster general. You can find it on you tube.