Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs rear seat belt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldschool1, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Well, lots happening around here. latest is we got a new hot rodder on the way come mid October. Yes we have a baby on the way. Here's the question...Where is the best mount location in the rear seating area of a 1963 ford fairlane 500 sedan for seat belts? the car originally was not equipped with rear seat belts. i was thinking perhaps the shock mounts, but I have a feeling that there has got to be a better place.

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Weren't they optional in that year? If so the locations may already be there. If not, I would place them at the optimal location - between the back seat and upright - think of pulling the belt hard - you want it pulling in a straight line - not going around corners. Once you have the optimal location - then it's a matter of reinforcing that. Use a LARGE plate - you can even reference a NHRA rule book or seat belt manufacturer for guidance on the plate size/thickness.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Locate belt in these shaded areas, not rocket science as long as you use correct 7/16" UNF grade 8 bolts with 1/8" to 3/16" mounting plate behind the nut. Plates should be 2" x 3" and loaded centrally, not offset. Radius the corners 1/4" -5/16" and chamfer the edges. Similarly if adding child restraint anchorages to the rear parcel shelf, use 2" x 1 1/4" reinforcing plate with a 5/16" UNC bolt.
    Minimum width for a seat is roughly 16" so multiply by three to roughly work out positioning. If mounting 2 belts to a single position increase mounting plate accordingly to 4"x3"
    Lower belt.jpg Upper belt.jpg

4. That's close to what we have in NZ, except our lower points are 175mm -250mm from the centre line of the seat giving a max of 500mm and min of 350mm. Our retro fitted mounting plates are 40mmx100mm and 80mmx50mm and are doubler plates riveted together to sandwich the body work. JW

5. thank you everyone. I'll try to get out and have a look this afternoon.

6. I also seem to recall that by 1963 seatbelts were an option when you bought a car, so it should have the mounting provisions in the floor pan. Definitely worth a look and they may be visible from under the car.

Bob

7. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

1oldschool1
    62 - 65 Fairlane share the same platform. I have the Ford instruction sheets for installing rear seatbelts in a 65 Fairlane. They show the correct locations where Ford recommends to mount them. I will scan them and email you a copy or post them up here depending on the size of file.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

1oldschool1
    file too big to upload 2MB. send me a PM with your email and I'll email you a copy

9. supervert

supervert

my 63 galaxie has the mounting bosses from the factory in the front but none in the rear. so if you do the fronts along with the rears there are tapped holes in the floor already. just peal the carpet up and you will see the rubber plugs in the holes.

10. Seat belts must have been optional, as i have duel clam shell seat belts up front yet nothing in back. I haven't had a chance to get out and look yet if the provisions are there for the rear. As I am recovering from a pretty serious neck surgery. ( c1-c4 fusion.) i have an appointment w/the doc on Thursday. heres to hoping for a little release of restrictions.