Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The best tool I have for working on car elc is one of the Power Probes these things are a life saver. Wish I had thought of it.

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Like a Fluke meter?They are a lifesaver sometimes....My style involves a LOT more unnecessary screaming and smashing things in a blind rage while I rip handfuls of multicolored wires out of the car and hurl them into the driveway....lol
    Not always the most effective approach,but it seems to have a calming effect on me,which later allows me to engage my brain without the clutch slipping,analytically approach the problem,devise a solution,then replace the blown fuse that should have taken 5 seconds in the first place....

It's a complicated process. :D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

55belairx2 and enloe like this.
  3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Just a month left to order your "EVIL TWIN BYRON or BUST" shirt! BYRON4sm.jpg

4. Can I buy one at the Meltdown?

5. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Gonna have a few extras made......send me an email to [email protected] with size and color and I'll put you on the reserved list. Thank you for your support, Rocky

6. Saxxon

Saxxon

Totally off topic but i wanted to share a couple of stories from the weekend.
    • My 18 yo niece graduated from Jr. Dragster and got her Super Comp lic at the Hawley school over the winter. Yesterday she got her Top Dragster lic with a pass of 7.51 / 180
    • Coached a total rookie on how to drag race this weekend.Kid listened and responded well. Renews my faith in the youth of today. He made 6 passes and ultimately made a best pass for the car of 11.06/122 (67 Camaro) Red light in 1st rnd of trophy but the kids grin won't come off until Wednesday.
    • Here's my favorite and TOTALLY renews my faith in humanity - at least for a week or so. Changed the battery in my golf cart on the trailer in a small town Auto Zone parking lot early Saturday am. Left my wallet on the cart and drove off. Spent 2 hrs retracing my steps. No luck. Wallet is found and turned into a corner gas station where the clerk makes an effort to track me down. Nothing missing incl $120 cash. Clerk refuses to accept anything except a thank you and a handshake
    I'm taking all of this as a good omen for Meltdown...

beebee78 and Bad Banana like this.
  7. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

Saxxon-

That is one heck of a great weekend. It is nice to see that sometimes people still do the right thing.

8. ...since I only live a half hour from Byron; everybody around here is talkin bout this year's Meltdown.
    Koop, thanks for the great posters!

9. 62Furious

62Furious

Saxxon, so you mentor kids that is fantastic. being a coach takes a lot of patients. glad your weekend went well. See you in 43 days

10. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

43 days????? This summer is going to fast!

beebee78 likes this.
  11. Somebody has got to arrange an international guest tent and a Hamb get together!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

12. Good Call! Yer nominated!

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not to wish my life away but if it dose not get here soon I will have my car so hillbilly up that I will be embarrassed to bring it.

14. ...I'm really lookin forward to it, but you know the summer will be almost gone after this event; the summer goes by too fast.
    ...at every local show & cruz nite I go to; the topic of the Meltdown comes up; lots of interest in it.
    ...I sure hope Ron Leek is back as the announcer.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  15. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

I'am sure that the Meltdown Drags are the highlight of the summer for most of us. Really stoked this year, so much so that I bought a tent to camp out on the grounds......Don't want to miss a minute of all the on and off track action!

16. ..,still behind the 8 ball here, and starting to sweat the due date. Looks like we'll probably be swinging with the ole 410" engine with a freshen up, so may just barely have enough for Engine Joe.,,uh Mostly Slow..,oh you know, ole wushisface, & Johnny Orange Blossom..,er a I mean uh.., Rotten Orange in da John..,uh.., I mean, Johnny Orange Julius..,what was the question?

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Tell me about tha rabbits George.....:D

Lmao! Ric,you kill me Brother!Im struggling too,I'm back to work and fighting to get this thing in a reliable state of togetherness,still having some engine issues,and getting my bases covered for a last minute,plan B kind of half-assed bottom end to throw my heads and intake onto,just to get the car down the track.
    It's gonna be a struggle,but it's gonna be worth it for the ton of fun the Meltdown is going to be!:)

Scott

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  18. Free admission???? Hahaha!!!

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Keep hitting one setback after another with the car,but I don't even care.
    Out here alone in the shop,it's a beautiful day,sun is shining,I'm working on an angry American V8,I've got the original,uncut Das Boot playing 3ft away on my laptop for inspiration (lol),and everything in my little universe is good:)

Scott

20. Danny G

Danny G

The Jericos that some are using, what are they similar too in size, are they clutchless and are they stronger than like a super t-10? All of the ones I have seen are old nascar trans and have real low first gears

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Danny,
    The guy to talk to would be AFXDave,he has original A/FX and B/FX cars,and he swears by the Jerico.After busting up a bunch of small block toploaders he has never had a problem with the Jericos.
    I believe you can shift them clutch less if you want,and a whole bunch of ratios are available.
    The guy that originally developed them had a disability but still wanted to run a 4 spd car.....at least I think that was the story...something about a shattered elbow and a bungee cord on the shifter..?
    It was years ago I heard this.

Scott

22. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Have a good race this year !!!

23. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Just got back from the Hunnert Car Heads Up at Union Grove, WI. The weather was great, the attendance was a little on the lower side, but that gave me a little more time to work through the bugs.

Falfa with that Orange field car showed up and we did a little dancing with the devil. The Okie Doker took the first run by 2 tenths and then Falfa came right back on the second run and beat me by 2 tenths…I am going to have to start to respect that field car of his now.

We will work out a few more bugs and then be ready for the Meltdown.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Had a big day yesterday:

Owned the car for almost 25 yrs,and to my knowledge,it hasn't had a functional horn since pre-1982 when my buddy Jeff took ownership of the car.

Crawled around under the dash for a couple hours correcting wiring messes and screw ups from previous owners installing fog lights and eight track tape players,etc....
    When I was done,I had corrected whatever monkey business was previously going on with my turn signals,so I installed a new wood rimmed wheel for a bit of interior eye candy,as a reward to myself for winning a battle in the war against electricity!lol

Lo and behold,after switching out the wheel and all the horn hardware for the new stuff,the horn still didn't work:(
    Then my Dad drags out this cheapo horn he got from flea market 20 yrs ago,but never used cause "it was too good to just leave it there...I might need it someday!"

Will someday turned out to be right frickin MEOW(!),cause the horn now works,for the first time since Jimmy Carter was in office,and Sonny and Cher were still married!:D

Now I'm onto tracking down that pesky water leak,an then it's all downhill with minor cosmetic tweaks and shakedown passes at Test n Tune night:)

Thanks to everyone on here for guidance and encouragement,Ric Panneton in particular,as he both tortured me and tutored me in just the right way to motorvate me to get this thing up and rolling.
    (Did you like the Chuck Berry reference Ric?)

Thanks to all.
    Can't wait to meet y'all at
    The Meltdown!!!

Scott

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the water leak is not bad just add a can of ground ginger and put it in the radiator.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

I would probably just make sweet n sour ginger pork,and just pay some guy in a place with a lot of wrenches to fix the leaky car,cause I would be all full and bloated from all the ginger pork....Mmmmm.....Ginger.lol

Scott

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's actually a pretty sizable leak Saltflats,so I need to pull some things apart and see what's up with zee leekink oont zee drippink!
    SO close to having this car really working well.It feels good:)

Scott

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thats funny when I think of ginger I think of the one on Gelligan's Island.

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lol!
    My shrink says I'm not supposed to talk about her anymore.....could cause a relapse.....Lmao!

Scott

55belairx2 likes this.
  30. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Why does my avatar show up on salt flats posts.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014