Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1941 Chev. interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da dodge brother, Jun 2, 2014.

1. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Will main body parts, roof, doors,etc, interchange from 1941 through 1948 Chev. Are those body parts the same on Olds, Pontiac or Buick . Thanks for any info ...

2. chubbie

chubbie

Lot of the parts are the same. rear fenders, roof, 1/4's, trunk lid, dash, seats, glass,floors, rear end, engine, drive line, some parts are the same in the front end. The doors will bolt on but they are different. the fire wall/cowl changed. Never tried to use BOP body parts. I used seats, window reg/door parts, dash/ radio, rear window and trim off of a pontiac.

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

your asking a big question, there is a lot of mis-information on this topic along with alot of tales, to get a correct answer we need to know exactly what your trying to do, and what car are we working with and body and style numbers from firewall tag, and where the parts are coming from. if your not carefull you can end up with a bunch of parts that do not fit right

the ems guy

Model T1 likes this.
  4. There are 3 models in the Olds family, at least 2 in the others, and not much interchanges between models. As was stated, you kneed to know exactly what you are working. The Olds I am sure on , since I have 2 of the models in 1941 sitting at my place.

5. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Here is the situation. Local fellow rodder had his 1941 Chev. 3 Passenger coupe stored for the winter and the sheds roof collapsed and really messed up the roof. Rest of the car minor damage but roof needs replacement. What I'm looking for is what years and models of the coupes would interchange. It will be just like chopping a top but leaving it stock height ...

6. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

My first car was a 41 chev station wagon. The wood was bad. I put a 41 Pontaic two door body on. It fit nice, but I think the rear fenders had different trim.
    I think only the small Pontiac body was the same, but that was 60 years ago.

Might add I cut the body at the windshield pillars. So I used the chev fire wall and dash.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

In 1940 I believe GM introduced:-
    • Short wheelbase 'A' bodies (Chev, Olds and Pontiac);
    • Intermediate longer wheelbase 'B' bodies (Olds, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac); and
    • Long wheelbase 'C' bodies (Olds, Buick, Cadillac).
    My 'B' body 46 Olds 76 is the same platform as other GM marques (Buick, Caddy, Poncho and Buick) but has a different firewall, other idiosyncrasies and pressings. I have an interchange manual here as well as a master parts book that have been very helpful. You need to stay with your 'A' body platform as the others are totally different in many respects with limited, some or no interchange.

33sporttruck likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"A" body GM Coupes built as Chevy, Pontiac and Olds, '41 thru '48 are the same roof. Buick used the "A" body coupe in '41 & '42 only and it is the rarest, Chevy, the most plentiful.

33sporttruck likes this.
  9. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

mgtstumpy and Hnstray have it pretty well covered. Your replacement roof should be from a Chevy, Olds or Pontiac. Good Luck, Jeff

10. 1950ed

1950ed

I you need some garnish moldings , I have some.