Register now to get rid of these ads!

How To View Social Forums

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ryan, May 22, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey fellas, Social Forums are now live. To view them, simply click on the membership icon on the top left of the screen like this:

social1.jpg

That will take you to a page of categories that looks like this:

social2.jpg

From there, you simply click on the category you are interested in and that will take you to a list of social forums. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Social forums are created and maintained by our membership. We rarely (if ever) moderate them.

2. The creators of these social forums have full control over the environment. Meaning, they can create a social forum that is open to the public or closed to the private (read: invite only).

Note: As it stands right now, all of the old social forums are set to private. As the creators of these social forums get used to the new environment, I suspect many of them will open them up... So, if you are new to the HAMB or social forums, just be patient.

2. Progress....... however, all the old threads won't allow to post anything, there's an "insufficient privileges..." message at the bottom. On the other hand I can, and did, post a new thread. Does this mean the moderator of that social forum (Northwest in this case) has to trigger something to readmit me?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

When I was importing the old social forums to the new format, the priority was maintaining privacy to the forums that were set up as "private" on the old forum. Essentially, I didn't want a private forum to be open to the world if it contained sensitive information.

It looks like I was a little too aggressive with this and as a result, all threads are locked.

The creator of each forum can unlock all these threads.

In the meantime, I will look into reversing the problem.

4. Are they viewable from the HAMB app?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

1. That is now fixed.
    2. I believe those were open for testing... I will make sure I didn't screw something else up here.
    3. Lots:

test.jpg

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Cool. Thanks, Ryan.

7. Thanks, Ryan, I've missed the Md. group. Glad it's back.

8. Can't seem to find a way to invite people to closed boards.
    Will there be a way to do that again?
    Thanks.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes, we are working on that now.

10. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I see some of the members have little avatars under their names that show the social groups they belong to. How do you activate that feature?

12. @CG go to your "personal details" page. that's the same one where you can change your Avatar, birth date, location, ect...
    See where it says primary social forum right under your avatar?
    That's where you click the social forum you want to show.

Hope this makes sense.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Guess not as I can't find it on the app.

14. Thanks Martin ... worked great!

15. silent rick

silent rick

what if i don't know what catagory a social group i used to frequent is in? how do i search for it? i can't find the sw chicago hamb & eggs.
    is there still a way to quit a social group? i joined the modifieds social group but that place is dead. i should have quit it before the changes.

16. silent rick

silent rick

nope, it was the "sw chicago hamb and eggs" social group. i can't find it anywhere

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

18. silent rick

silent rick

ryan, when i follow that link, all i see is the thread i started, none of the other breakfasts from around the country. maybe if larry opens it up, i'll see the others. i noticed it's still private.

the old hamb had a way to search social groups. i don't see that availability anymore.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think you might be confused. There was never an entire social group. Just a thread.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. silent rick

silent rick

not confused, there are over 20 threads. for some reason, i had to rejoin. now i see all the threads. each thread contains info about a different breakfast going on around the country. in the past, you didn't have to be a member to see them all. you just needed to join the group if you wanted to post.
    on the old hamb, there was a social group search. enter a keyword of interest, modifieds, chicago, indiana, eggs, czars and it would bring up the social groups with that word in it's title. i don't see that anywhere.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Correct. There is no social group search.

And glad you got it figured!

22. Toner283

Toner283

Did the model car builders social group get closed or deleted? I am a member of it but I cannot find it.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know of that group, but none were deleted... If you have an old link, I can find where it is now...

24. The model car group was closed by whoever started it because of lack of interest. This was done before the change.

25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Ryan, I found a way to access the social groups I belong to by going to my profile ( logo left of the envelope) and it appeared under the Alliance status. Now I can not find it. Now I find it harder to find the social groups I belong to. Did something change in the last 24 hours ?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  26. The link to "My Social Forums" is missing. I used it today but now it isn't listed in my drop down from the single person tab above :confused:

27. 46stude

46stude

Yeah, Lucio asked if anybody wanted to take over the group, and nobody stepped forward. So the group was shut down /deleted.

And I'm not seeing the Social Groups tab anymore, also within the last day.

28. silent rick

silent rick

something is up with the social groups. can't find them in the drop down tab and when i find the group i joined, it says i'm not a member anymore. i don't see a way of re-joining either,

29. Im having trouble getting on the Old Farts page..Help!...please....