Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Turbine Paint Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TxF100, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jozw30

jozw30
    from Arizona

Ok, so a few pages back, it was stated that the Tuff Guard garden hose would work? It's a 5/8" inside diameter.

Now, up a few posts it's says you need 3/4" hose? Don't see Tuff Guard in 3/4" ID.

Was just about to order the Tuff Guard hose.

What's the correct hose?

Thanks!

Joe

2. Thomas Standish

Thomas Standish

Personally I'm not that interested in constructing a turbine unit , sounds good but its just not for me. . But I am very interested in any info on the best turbine / gun combo for the job , at an affordable price of course . A lot of systems come with a gun , like TP Tools system comes with the Proline gravity fed gun . Any reports on that gun would be great .

3. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

I would be interested in seller my system. If interested I can provide details and pictures.
    Thanks,
    Joe

4. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

What do you have?

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Whatever it is ,there is a place for it in the classifieds not here.

6. Thomas Standish

Thomas Standish

Hi Joe,
    I am interested. I would like to send a PM to you but I'm new to this sight and can't figure out how to do that just yet. If you would like to PM me go for it and we can discuss the details.
    Tom

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Since our equipment tester and consultant has seemingly been too busy to respond to questions , I will answer.
    You are correct that the Tuff Guard garden hose is not available in the 3/4" size.

They do however advertise that the 5/8" size will flow as much as a standard 3/4" hose so I'm thinking that it will work fine.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. Thomas Standish

Thomas Standish

I have done a lot of research on turbines over the past months and decided to go with Apollo.Had a long talk with the owner of custom hot rod / muscle car building shop yesterday that swear by the Apollo system .I'm going to spring for their 1050 unit with the 7500 gun . Its the new Eco machine they just came out with ,lot less money then the green units but with the same power . The gun is suppose to be the best in the industry.
    I plan to video the complete painting proses of my 69 roadrunner and 68 Charger and post it on youtube. I have never painted a car before so this should be interesting.

9. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

10. Thomas Standish

Thomas Standish

11. .

$1,200 for a set-up is insane.

On ebay you can buy a new sprayfine 3 stage turbine for $325 (4 stage is $425) and an Apollo Atomizer 7500 Gt gun for $320. Grab some Tuff-Guard hose and your in business for under $750.00.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  12. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

In addition to the price/options ^^^
    Fuji systems on eBay regularly list for $499 (and higher for 4 stage or better spraygun)

I expect that those following/posting to this thread fall into "hobby" user category so the durability of a pro system is value that we would not take advantage of and don't need to pay for.

Also look for used turbines and guns

13. txturbo

txturbo

My $500 TP turbine turns out great paint jobs and it's a 18 year old 2 stage. I have bought new gravity feed guns though from TP.

14. Thomas Standish

Thomas Standish

A good second hand unit doesn't come around very often believe me I looked , what is out there is usually junk and beat to hell . This turbine will be used for other applications other then my cars so I think it will pay off in the long run . An Apollo 1050 in action.

15. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Sure seems like he put a LOT of paint on that door.

16. Thomas Standish

Thomas Standish

I think that's just a test panel ,dialing in the right tips. But look at the power that thing has . The rep I talked to assured me that with the right tip and nozzle , epoxy and heavy build primers would not be a problem at all. Base coat metallic , smooth with no modeling , clear coats like glass. In the last video the painter is comparing his gun to the Apollo gun and system.

17. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I don't know much about painting, but he did the same thing on that van that he did on the test panel, overlapping his passes by only about 2 inches.

18. Thomas Standish

Thomas Standish

Putting his technique and overlap aside , you have to admit it looks pretty good when all said and done. I'll be happy if my heap of steel looks half that good when I'm done.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  19. OzzieGT

OzzieGT

Nice videos Thomas so thanks for that. I also have the 7500 so was interested in the needle and cap combinations that were used. I assume the CC was a HS product as the first of the videos seemed to be trying the HS cap to get the atomisation correct. Are you able to share with us what the settings were please?

20. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

EBay seller name: qbta1234 has a variety of turbines and various turbine HVLP guns, hoses and other accessories. New and used. From what I can see, some good deals to be had there.

I just got a Fuji turbine gun for $69....but not from the seller I suggested above.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just as a side note to all this, I was with my son taking a set of motorcycle race fairings to a painter to have them sprayed ( As I have not set anything up yet). This guy is a pro who paints big rigs for a living and does paint work on the side.

In talking the subject came up that I was going to do some of my own paint work on my project.
    He seemed to find that rather funny and his take on it was sort of like good luck with that. :)

22. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Never heard about these types of system. Will have to research more.

23. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

24. OzzieGT

OzzieGT

Hi,

While waiting for aerometalworker's results, I contacted Apollo to ask for their recommendations for common products. For those interested, here is the list they gave me. Hope it is of some use to you.

Automotive Coating Needle/Nozzle Size Air cap

Primers 1.5mm "B" HS air cap
    Primer Sealers 1.3mm or 1.5mm "B" HS air cap
    Epoxy Primers 1.8mm "C" HS air cap

Solvent Base, Basecoat, 0.8mm, 1.0mm, 1.3mm "B" HS air cap
    Fine metallics & Pearls 0.8mm, 1.0mm "B" HS air cap

Waterbase-Basecoats 0.8mm, 1.0mm "B" HS air cap
    Enviro-base 0.8mm, 1.0mm,1.3mm "B" HS air cap

Clearcoats/low solid 0.8mm,1.0mm,1.3mm "B" HS air cap
    Clearcoats/med/high solids 1.0mm, 1.3mm "B" HS air cap
    Diffucult to spray clearcoats 0.5mm "CC"" air cap

Single Stage Urethane 1.5mm "B" HS air cap

Zolatone or similar products 2.0mm, 2.5mm "C" HS air cap
    "D" HS air cap

Cheers.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just a question, I see a lot of different HVLP guns for sale.
    Is there a difference between an HVLP gun that you can use with an air compressor and a regulator and an HVLP gun that you can use with a turbine ?

26. Yes you will notice on turbine based guns there is a air line between the gun and the paint cup that is used to pressurize the cup this is not used in conventional HVLP guns.

27. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

In addition to K13's specs, I had understood that turbine-compatible HVLP guns had larger inside air passage to flow more air volume. I have not measured or compared this aspect to be sure

28. Where do you buy fittings to use better guns with the tp tools showtime unit ? what fittings do I need ? Thanks

29. bchctybob

bchctybob

This thread has been an eye-opener. I have two cars and a boat almost ready to paint and two more coming. Having more money than brains, I'm considering a Fuji Q3 system and buying additional Apollo air caps (per Aerometalworker's advise). Slightly cheaper than the Apollo system and higher than some others. Either that or I rebuild/replace my aging conventional compressor and old spray guns. Either way I'll be spending some hard earned dollars. I kinda like the idea of getting a complete, running system.
    Anyone have experience with Fuji systems (good or bad) that they'd like to share?

30. TudorTumor

TudorTumor

OK... I just painted my Tudor at home with a Fuji 3 Stage.
    I have no painting experience beyond brushes or spray cans. The more I learned about the Isocyanides in the 2K products the more frightened of them I became. As my car was Flat Black and I wanted to keep it that way I decided to go with John Deere Primer & Blitz Black Enamel. In the US the paint sells for $36/Gal, here in Canada it's $130/Gal.
    I was going to build a booth in the garage but everybody kept saying the overspray was so minimal it wasn't necessary. So I didn't bother. The Primer went on very well, only 2 Runs. I used the JD Reducer. I decided to get a Slower Reducer for the paint from all I had read about the Turbines.
    First Coat of Blitz Black and slow reducer I had a Run on every panel. Sanded them out with 400 Wet.
    Second attempt I went back to the JD Reducer and dialed the paint flow back on the gun (afraid of all the Runs) and the paint pebbled before it hit the car. Sanded with 400 Wet again.
    Third try same as second (still scared) sanded again with 400 Wet.
    Fourth time I cranked up the paint flow more and didn't get the pebbling, but ended up with Orange Peel on all of it. At this point I was sick of all the sanding and had lots to do so I started with 220 gr Wet and intended to go to 400 but got lazy and never did.
    Fifth try I went back to the Slow Reducer. I had 2 Runs I let dry a couple days, sanded out with 220 Wet and resprayed those spots. Success 5 attempts and 3 1/2 Gal of paint later.
    I left it a week and drove it to a Show N Shine that was my goal. It sat there for 4 hrs in the sun and when I went to leave the doors were stuck shut. The paint was damaged where the doors overlap at the front. I intend to drive it this summer and repair the door posts next winter.
    Overall very happy with the results. I now have more skill with the Sprayer. The Flat Black is very forgiving of flaws and the 220 gr is enough. I have all I need for the repairs. After 1 coat of Primer and 5 of Paint the garage is dusty but no worse for wear. The overspray was so minimal I didn't wear a respirator.