Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 - 2 Tooth Steering Box Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by A BONED, Jun 1, 2014.

1. A BONED

A BONED

Hey fellas, I have a 29 roadster and am seriously thinking of replacing the banger with a 21 stud flathead V8. Anyway, I want to retain the 2 tooth steering box. I have heard that moving the steering box down 1/2 inch and closer to the firewall 1 inch will give you the clearance you need to fit the flattie. Can anyone confirm this. My roadster's a nice pre-war styled rod and I want to retain that look using the 2 toothed box.

2. GOONZ

GOONZ

A member here named Teep moved his box back to where the rear motor mounts were and extended the drag link to clear. If you don' t move it back you're going to have to section the sector shaft housing about an inch and notch your steering column tube to keep the original mounting holes and drag link length. Either way it's a lot of work to keep model a steering, if you're going to do the work in my opinion you should upgrade to at least a 32-34 style steering box and use the model a sector shaft housing.

3. ydopen

ydopen

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I used the stock model A Gimmer box on my AV8 coupe and you just move it back about 7 inches on the frame rail and redrill the hole, shorten the column the 7 inches you moved it back and I have been driving it for 8 years that way. Someday I will upgrade to F-1 but it gets me by as is.