Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator voltage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustomism, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Kustomism

Kustomism

Just put a new alternator with new external regulator on it in my pickup today and just wanted to check that I'm not going to hurt anything !
    It's pushing out 15.5 volts at 2500 rpm ?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401607543.568301.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 63Compact

63Compact

Thats to high 14.2 volts is what you should be aiming for.

3. Kustomism

Kustomism

I thought it was a bit high, what can be done to alter voltage ?
    Thanks for reply

4. loudbang

loudbang

Your regulator may be adjustable. That 15.5 voltage is way to high and will fry your battery.

5. Kustomism

Kustomism

Thanks man

6. I agree, if you regulator is not adjustable it is worth it to replace it

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If it isn't adjustable I would call the company that made it and ask them what's up. Does it stay that high or does it drop down after a while ? What are you using to read the voltage ? Could that be inaccurate ?

Don

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time for a kickin sound system with a lotta watts...:eek:

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Double check voltage output with a different meter.

10. Kustomism

Kustomism

Haven't taken for drive yet but was sitting in shed running for a while, when fan cut in didn't change much !
    Going to grab another meter of mate today

11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Make sure the cables are really good and clean and tight & try testing again. If one has a slightly flaky connection it can throw the voltage off.

12. Kustomism

Kustomism

Cheers man , will do

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

What alternator is that and is it wired correctly? That kinda looks like a Chrysler model that used an external regulator. I like to use ones with a built in regulator and a single wire to the battery. Less chance for external problems.

14. Kustomism

Kustomism

Yep it's a Chrysler one wire external regulator alternator from Tuff Stuff Performance . I have one wire to battery and an earth.
    Going to try a different meter when I get home the sarvo, think my volt meter maybe dodgy !

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems odd that they do not have the instructions posted with the rest of their alternator instructions.
    Are you positive that you have the regulator wired correctly and the rest of the wires to the alternator run to the correct thing? It's possible that the alternator is wires so that the regulator is out of the circuit and the alternator is being asked to put out max voltage all the time as if it were being tested for max output.

Scroll down this page http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html to 21 where you will see two wiring diagrams, one which runs the electo magnetic regulator and one with the electronic regulator. Check your wiring against the proper one of those diagrams to make sure you have things wired as it should be.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  16. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

I had alot of trouble with external regulators when I was sorting out some gremlins in my old ford. If you don' mind the suggestion, I bought a GM one wire internally regulated alternator from oreillys for 60 bucks I think. Pushes 69 amps max, 14.2 volts. No fuss. I had to modify my stock generator amount, but it worked out fine. Best part is that I didn't have to remove any of my other electrical components, I just bypassed them for charging.

17. stimpy

stimpy

check with another meter first ,, as there is no way to adjust the regulator other than getting a new one as its a sealed unit , double check your leads from the alternator to the voltage regulator to see if they are tight ( specially the grounds as thats how this unit is controlled ) , if they are then its the Voltage regulator , as cam said you might want to try the schematics shown , it will be the electronic VR unit ( 2 wire ) also charge the battery up ( alternator disconnected ) before doing any tests as a low battery can make a alternator try to over generate for a short spell

18. Kustomism

Kustomism

Checked with another meter and the highest it got to was 13.9 , also checked all connections and all good.
    I think my meter maybe incorrect !
    Thanks heaps for all the input.
    I'm going to check with one other meter than I'll be 100% sure

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Good. Just put a good multimeter across the battery terminals and see what you are getting with the engine off and with it running. Sounds like a bad meter.

Don

20. Kustomism

Kustomism

Cheers man

21. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I've had the charging system go full bore (unregulated output) when the ground strap came half-loose.
    I like a dedicated ground wire from the alternator to any external regulator. Any voltage potential there throws the regulator way off.

22. fsae0607

fsae0607

Are you by any chance using an Autometer volt gauge? The "Traditional Chrome" series one in my GMC reads about 15.5V and it too scared the crap out of me until I checked the voltage with a DVOM and it was fine.

23. stimpy

stimpy

so they have horror freight down under too ??? I have 3 of the digital freebe digital multimeters if I hooked them all together and average them it will be correct . mu fluke I never underestimate , but paid the bucks for it. ( and I check it across a calibrated fixture )

24. Kustomism

Kustomism

Nope I've been checking with multimeters