Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 318 into my 41 Plymouth - progress report

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick 41, May 31, 2014.

1. Dick 41

Dick 41

Hi All: After a lot of helpful suggestions from members here, I have taken the plunge. I have a 318 Mo Par mill going into my 41 Plymouth. There are some great threads on this Forum from members that have done similar installs. The issues experienced by other Forum Members are correct (left side clearances with steering, starter, headers) and slightly offsetting the motor to the right.) Extremely helpful solutions...thank you!

One of our Forum Members suggested I look at Craig's list. So I found a guy nearby (N.CA) with a complete car. Car is/was 1972 Dodge Demon with various years running gear (74 Dodge Charger 318 which he rebuilt, 68 Dodge 4 speed tranny, stock rear end). All of the running gear is going in the 41. The guy i bought the running gear from is doing most of the installation and will retain what is left of the Demon. When done, he will have lots of good body parts, etc. for sale.

I spent most of yesterday on the internet and the phone finding products, comparing prices and quality. I'm using as many Forum vendors as I can: Butch's for motor mount kit for one.* Other items just purchased are electric fan from Skip White, hugger headers from Racing Innovations in KS, mini starter from DB Electrical in TN. I mention these in case anyone else is looking for sources.

I hope to have a few pictures up soon.

*In particular, Butch's (Terry) was very helpful. Great advice and he sent a really nice PDF on mount instructions.

2. Looking forward to pics and updates

3. Dick 41

Dick 41

Hope this reply is not disallowed. Small world saxman. I too am a sax man! Dixieland, big band - Stockton and Sacramento area. Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Bari, clarinet. Thanks for the reply. More info. on our jazz society is @ http://www.stocktondixielandjazz.org/ Come on down sometime.

4. daliant

daliant

The rear out of the Demon is going to be a little narrow for the '41. The stock rear from the 41 should be 60" wide drum to drum, the Demon's rear is 57" drum to drum so your going to loose 1 1/2" of tire clearance on each side. Also the Demon is going to have small bolt pattern axles if it's stock.

5. Dick 41

Dick 41

Good info. daliant. Thanks for the heads up. I have some pretty wide rims on the rear, so a little extra fender clearance would be OK. But now you have me wondering! I know the rear end in the Demon is not the stock one. Hopefully it is from a later model that is correct.

I going to do some measurements using the info. on attached chart. Earlier somone posted this chart with Mo Par rear end dimensions, etc. that I find very useful. See attached. Wish I could remember who first posted it. Thanks to that person!

AXEL WIDTH.jpg

I will attach it here for others to use if they wish.

6. George

George

With a spring perch relocation 71-3 Mustang & a number of years in the 70s Ranchero will fit & has same bolt pattern

Dick 41 likes this.