Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage Stock Cars for the street...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Conder, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Redhots

Redhots
    from Iowa

Here is a link to info on the Camaro street legal stock car I spent 18 yrs. building from scratch. Now without a project, I would love to build a steel body car from the 30's 40's or 50's if I could find the right donor. Have no great ideas yet, but thinking about it a lot.
    http://rides.carcraft.com/ride/1215753/black409/1981/chevrolet/camaro/

2. This one showed up at G/Guys Charlotte last fall. Young fab'r for a NASCAR team built it..Powered by a 426 Hemi..It's a badass piece..

Attached Files:

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  3. Pushman

Pushman

4. Conder

Conder

This is what I had in mind when I started the thread... Actual spec built NASCAR, built using actual techniques from that year, but with lights (hidden up front) and a plate. Driven on the street. No plush interiors or stereos or mufflers etc etc.

This. HA (9).jpg

5. Racer08

Racer08

This is one cool thread. I love the idea of building a 60s or 70s car into a street legal stock car. I have always loved the HM 69 Torino driven by David Pearson. I also love the Woods Brother's Mercurys of the 70s.

6. About twenty years ago their was a custom 50 merc at good guys Rhienbeck .The car was from Canada ,it had full nascar frame with truck arm rear suspension . I think it was a gold color , very high end build . Anybody else see this car .

7. Racer08

Racer08

Hilo hotrodder I believe there was a Merc in the pages of Popular Hot Rodding magazine (?) a number of years ago that fits that description. I liked that car. It was a cool idea for a build.

8. skull

skull

my car is getting closer, l hope to be done in the spring. car show in august but not painted yet.

will be bright red/viper red 2 tone from paint leftover from another project, saving money by using what ya have on hand. DSC02459.JPG

Later:cool:

Attached Files:

9. skull

skull

10. Making one of those 41-48 Mopar sedans into a 2-door looks so good I wish someone would do one as a full on custom build so we could see it done that way.

11. skull

skull

ya, this is what we started with. quite a difference hackin' a foot out, lengthening the doors and removing the fenders, does not even hardly look like the same car.

Later :cool: a plymouth race car 002q.jpg

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

At one time, about 15 years ago, I owned a 48 Dodge 2 door sedan. It was just as long as a 4 door, but about 1/2 the rear door was part of the front door, and the rest was the rear quarter. I didn't have it very long, it didn't appeal to me at all. When I bought it, I thought it would grow on me, but never did. Too bad to, it was a running car that would have brakes for about a 1/2 hour after you filled the master. About the same body condition as the 4 door above. Someone wanted it worst then me, wonder it it ever got built. Gene

13. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Skull your old Plymouth is coming along great. I like your out look too on saving money, you're a real hot rodder. Use what you can find for as little money as possible. The rest is good old Yankee ingenuity. Question, do you have friends who help you? Are you a member of a car club?

14. skull

skull

no club. l have several friends who help a lot and l am using the car to help others l have some sponsors who have donated parts, that helps a ton.

Later :cool:

15. motorjunkie

motorjunkie

I know this is an old thread but here is our NASCAR Street legal project. we have bought and improved this 77mc as a replica of earnhardt's 79 rookie car. we plan to drive her on the hotrod power tour to promote our business, TredWear. 330 horse crate motor and rock crusher 4spd, boom tubes, full cage, lowered susp. we still have more to go. We plan to add the Super speedway bumper aero shrouds. Since he is not sponsored yet, we plan to put our name on the quarter panels and hood. (Not every day you can sponsor Earnhardt so cheaply [​IMG] so we jumped at the chance) I think we will block out the tail lights and employ one of those pickup truck LED bars over the bumper. Of course, we will add our permanent TIRE GRAPHICS to the sidewalls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    #9 [​IMG]
    tredwear [​IMG]

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  16. svodoc

svodoc

It's a cool car...not exactly HAMB friendly...but cool

17. motorjunkie

motorjunkie

THX. Yes, I know not really HAMB..- but I found this thread in a search and thought someone might like it. Not a lot of web info on this type of thing. I have only found a few cars.

18. olestg1

olestg1
    from indiana

Read thru all the pages on this subject , some dogone impressive builds , tributes, or even the nod towards street driven vintage stock cars.
    A few others and myself started a Facebook page for just that, street driven , street legal stock cars... called
    STREET LEGAL STOCK CAR TRIBUTES , it's a open group , after seeing some of your rides , would love to have you share them qith our group , plans are in the work to possibly have and create a annual get together, and cruise or parade our rides to a big stock car event.
    Please stop in and check us out , the more the merrier.
    Myself in the planning stages of my tribute, a 72 Buick Skylark, big block 455, to pay tribute to the Buick GuRu Kenne-Bell and his 70-72 NASCAR Program , with the Perry Cottingham #73 , 1970, 71,72 Skylarks mainly driven in Winston Cup West division mainly driven in the Bigger California tracks.

19. blackout78666

blackout78666

i have a buddy in austin selling a 57 ford stock car project... it can be found on austin craigslist... take some work to get it street legal but for 2000 its a pretty solid deal... Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 7.46.13 AM.png

20. skull

skull

this one is our newest member of the family, this is my friends 1935 studabaker, it raced this spring at the local oval tracks and the man who previously owned her retired so my friend bought it and we street legalized it this summer--400hp 355 SBC, 9 inch ford rearend and a manual 3 speed, it is a blast to drive. he named her "The Studaracer"

the headlight placement was a temp place just to get her legal, we have moved them up to the grille area and it looks much better.

friends red sprint car is street legal, blast to drive around.

Later:cool:
    43443334.JPG darrin race car 1.jpg darrin race car.jpg elma002.JPG elma003.JPG elma008.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    coneman, Animal and Daddiojoe like this.
  21. denhabr

denhabr

I posted this on another thread about 15x10 stock car wheels (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/15-x-10-steel-wheel-build.348830/#post-12460155), and thought that it may help folks building a stock car for the street using as-close-as-possible-looking vintage race wheels from Holman Moody. I've been in this search for years (ever since I wanted to do my own replica/tribute '73 Bobby Unser #41 Pepsi-Cola Torino...and/or get some heavy duty steelies on my '96 Ford Bronco.

So I think I've found the proper replica stock car wheel for all those Holman-Moody enthusiasts...like me. It's the Speedway Motors Vintage Series steel wheels, and they come in 15x8" (4.00" backspace), and the wider (and much more visually appealing) 15x10 (4.25" backspace), all with the vintage-correct 5 on 5.5" bolt spacing! Here is their 15x10: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Vintage-15x10-Steel-Wheels-5-on-5-5-4-5-Inch-BS,283808.html

With a little TIG welding to add some "period-correct reinforcement welds" to various locations at the juncture of the center section and the hoop, and I think you'd be all set! Speedway specifically mentions that they use the '40's-era style lug pad which from what I've read is exactly what Holman-Moody used in their race wheels...although they doubled-up on the center sections to reinforce them for racing purposes. Similar to the Ford truck center sections used from '48-'64, apparently.

Here are two photos from their website (bare steel 15x10's)...along with a few shots of the "real wheel." Hope this helps all you H-M wheel aficionados!

Speedway Vintage 15x10 5x5.5 4.50 BS Wheel #25045151 (1).jpg Speedway Vintage 15x10 5x5.5 4.50 BS Wheel #25045151 (2).jpg
    Holman-Moody '68 Torino (D. Pearson) 8.jpg

Holman-Moody NASCAR Steel Wheels.jpg

Mercury Cyclone - Darryl Waltrip '71.jpg
    Ned Jarrett's Stock Car 1 (2).gif

Ford '68 Torino David Pearson (sponsor stickers).jpg

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

How about building a street version of this old "Cut-Down Modified from the '60's … it would have to be just a riot to drive.

732_car.jpg

23. ring gap

ring gap

FB_IMG_1534634553911.jpg Yes this caddy is just about new....the owner must have had alot of money...

biggeorge, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"The Meteor" street driven back in the 50's in So Cal - has hidden headlights 20180825_130548.jpg 20180825_130708.jpg

25. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I have a 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere I am supposed to be bringing home soon. I thought about making it look like a 50s stock car as a cheap way to paint it up. I wouldn't want it to look show room, but what some local farmer or whoever could have done. Something like Lee Petty did back in the day

Like so
    upload_2022-10-2_13-16-8.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stillrunners and Just Gary like this.
  26. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

27. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

28. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65