Register now to get rid of these ads!

235ci Cooling in a 53 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabilly53, May 30, 2014.

1. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

I recently replaced my stock 53' 235ci with a 57' 235, I noticed I had a clearance issue between the fan and the Radiator, I bought a short shaft water pump in hope that would solve my issues, however the fan now rubs against the harmonic balancer...the fan only clears the balancer when it's flipped but there is a 1/8" of clearance and no spacing to push air.. I then added a 1/2" spacer but still no go, I'm sure this has been covered but with the new updates to the HAMB I'm having an issue searched specific topics (im also an idiot) this is my first full build so please no wise cracks at my stupidity :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You're a self proclaimed idiot and don't want to be ridiculed? Okay.:D I have a good friend and he went through this last year. He brought a new aluminum radiator for his '53 Chevy with a 235. His after market flex fan barely touched the balancer, so he trimmed it enough to clear. Been doing fine with it.

I also assume you meant your fan PULLS and when you flipped it, it becomes basically useless? Might want to reread and edit to make your description clearer.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Those ol' stovebolts run outa room in a hurry with that later 235, don't they?
    Just enough room for some surgery with the core support...still close.
    302" GMC was worse. But when hopped up, worth it!

4. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it

5. ev88f

ev88f

what about moving the radiator in front of the core support?

6. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Ain't that the truth Mike! I was thinking of moving the core support back and running a shorter radiator for hood clearance I'd preferably like to avoid electric fans but whatever the case if it fits and runs cool I won't complain

7. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Well I was thinking of spinning the core support 180 degrees since that would move the radiator back about an inch I believe, they'res definitely options but seeing as there's thousands of combined years of experience on here I'd like to hear opinions...again I appreciate any and all input!