Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad day...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tudorp, May 30, 2014.

1. Tudorp

Tudorp

Just got my glass kit for my 53 Ford. Got it from a place that specializes in vintage auto glass. Good news, it came today. Have all my panels out, and my interior in disarray waiting for this glass. I had hoped to have it all in before I left for a month on vacation. Plenty of time (I leave it two weeks). Opened the box, and every phreaking pane of it was shattered. Called the place, and they will replace it. But tell me it will be the end of June before they can get it to me. Problem is, I will be gone on vacation by then, not to return till mid July. VERY disappointing day...

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, some days does not pay to get out of bed. so, did you figure out what might have caused this to happen? poor packing by shipper or?

3. Were I in your position, I'd source a local glass shop to cut new pieces using the new broken glass as templates...and ask the vintage glass company for a refund. I have regularly had flat glass cut in 1-2 days. Hate to see your vacation spoiled....

4. Tudorp

Tudorp

It looked to be packed good. But UPS does it again. The box did look like it took a sharp blow, and we all know the right sharp blow and it's all she wrote. UPS is notorious for rough handling. The package was well marked "GLASS", "THIS END UP" and very visable warnings. I think it was a UPS misshap. They are going to replace it, but timing is bad on both sides. Im about to go out of town for a month, and they are going on vacation this weekend for a week or two. I don't fault the glass people, but their timing, and my timing just didn't work with a breakage. If it was ok, I would be able to put it in and have it done before I went on vacation. I didn't have templates to go from because my car didnt have any door glass when I got it. But, I do have templates now using their glass. I can make some from their busted pieces. I might just end up getting a refund, and taking the broken panes to a local place. But the place I got it from are good at what they do, and that is why I went with them to begin with. They specialize in vintage auto glass, and the ones I got has the vintage green tent to match the windsheild and rear glass. I dunno. I might just let them replace them. I have time now, because I wont be able to install them until I get back anyway. Just bumms me out.

5. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Tudorp, Stuff like this never happens on a Good Day. Then you have schedule complications and that makes it Double-Suck. I hope you are in the mood for a Good Laugh, I just have to ask, "Did they ship it in Malaysian Cardboard ???" Hope a little Humor puts a Smile on your Face........... Jeff

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, if this had happened on one of those TV shows about hot rod shops, you'd have gotten on the phone to some guy in "no mans land" and a new set would show up tomorrow. But this is real life. If the tint isn't that important, I'd make templates and source it out local. I don't know what the difference is in the original tint, but the glass shops I have used had a nice selection of tints.

7. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Earl is spot-on. If you have a local glass shop close by, they should be able to square you away. That is what I did for many pieces on my 46. Steve

8. The marking of "GLASS,HANDLE WITH CARE" is just a red flag to the shipping co..like a dare..break me..

9. Maybe ask the glass company if they'd be willing to use a different shipper so it doesn't happen again.

10. Tudorp

Tudorp

Lol. Ya know? I 'll have to look closer at the cardboard. It is what it is. Im not going will all original on my 53, but do want the vintage green tint to mstch the original winshield and back glass. I'll just have them make me another set but hold shipment untill I get back. Im just gonna drive the old girl with no glass until I leave in a couple weeks. Sucks, but at least I can still work on my panels and glass runs and get all that done in the next couple weeks. Im done crying about it, lol.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had the local glass guy cut all my F100 glass out of the original laminated dark green Ford tint.
    My son had an F100 place send his, mine was cheaper. (by $80.00!) I had to wait one day.
    Roy at Atwater Glass rules!
    Local glass guy is always the best bet. (he'll be there to help with any problems: some trim pieces have been 'retro-fitted' with available 'modern' replacements) He's up to speed on that stuff, as glass shops get a monthly magazine with late additions...

12. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Tudorp, Try to have a Nice Vacation.......... Jeff