Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gold leaf question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55CadillacTed, May 29, 2014.

1. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

i understand there are water based size (glue) and oil based size (slow dry glue).
    i want to spray 2k clear over my leafing when finished.
    i believe i heard that the clear coat can react with some oil based size?

is that true?

thanks fellas

2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

IMG_1924.JPG 203[1].jpg I use Rolco quick size and have cleared over it for years with no problems .

3. Oil based comes in slow and quick versions.
    Slow Size is for the real hardcore purists.

Dust on your clear to build up a barrier, then spray wet.

4. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

thanks philly & Ian.
    also, i'm about to start a silver leaf job for an important client.
    i'm using aluminum leaf and not getting as clearly defined engine turning as i see on others work.
    does white gold leaf turn better than silver leaf (aluminum)? I tried turning the aluminum leaf more aggressively and still not working. i know i need to let my size dry a bit longer, so i'm going to try that. But if someone could also let me know if white gold leaf turns better that would be great.
    thanks

5. Safariknut will know the answer.

6. Slow oil size just gives you more time to lay the gold if you have a lot to do. Depending on the clear, you need hardener in the size just as you would with one shot under clear. The timing of laying the gold has all the difference in the sheen. catch it just before it kicks.