Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RIP: Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. steves29

steves29

The way of the future. Can you imagine trying to run a paper version of the H.A.M.B. !

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Gonna miss it..been building stuff for years but as a newbie to traditional parts and builds the mag was a great source of information and learning for me. I like a magazine in my hand, I cant stand reading on a handheld device. Hope it comes back in some form, and good luck to those impacted by the shutdown. Been through that as well.

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( As previous posters have mentioned,print media is in trouble,newspapers or magazines.I can name two that have gone tits up in the last couple of years.They were not related to our hobby,but they are examples of old time mags going south.
    1-Life magazine.IIRC it was around during the civil war.
    2-Ladies Home Journal.Just about 2 months ago went belly up.It had been published for 130 years."All good things must come to an end".Want to wish all the best to all who have lost their jobs over this closing.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Glad I been buying back issues @ swapmeets &etc. for the last several years. I pray those that were surprised by the shutdown come out of this smelling like a rose and we are looking for a rebirth in the future. If I am offered another mag. to finish my subricption I will let them know I appreciate their concern but am disappointed in the outcome of R&C. I praise the LORD for my organized library of old hotrod mags....................................

5. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I'm with ya! This Magazine is why I got into Hot Rods, and in turn, found the HAMB. I haven't had the opportunity to meet any of those involved with R&C in person, but I'd feel better knowing my money went to help those guys make it to the next chapter. I know it isn't a lot of money, but I for sure feel like I owe it to them more than the publisher owes it to me. Good luck fellas, even though men with your talent and passion won't need it!

6. seatex

seatex

Major Bummer!

7. seatex

seatex

and to think I was considering getting rid of my old copies just a few days ago. there is something to be said for procrastination!!!

8. R n C is the only ones I kept... I sold a bunch of late '80s through '00s Street Rodders at the swap meet 5 for $1.00... the 12-15 year olds like 'em.

Which means only one thing.

There WILL be a group of people who will be turning our traditional hot rods into jelly bean colored, smoothed over billet rods in 10-15 years, so they can have one just like their grandfather had.

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all of your great photographs over the years, Tim!

Would second that. Y'all did some fine work that will be missed!

10. chevymike

chevymike

One of the things I really don't like about media going to online source versus printed source is, there is no real record of what was said. A printed magazine/book is much harder to change content versus online. Basically online has no historical reference as it can be changed on a whim and future rearders would never know.

Sad to see print media disappearing....

11. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

My hats off to them! They published a great mag,sad to see it go! They always had a good mix of cars.Always looked forward to getting my copy in the mail

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

YOU HAVENT SEEN ELVIS? he's setting on the crapper reading R&C on the phone!!!

13. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Not long ago I read where Rob Fortier was let go---felt bad about that and feel worse about this. Can't see any improvement just around the corner, either. RIP R&C.

14. I just got my first 2 copies on a 2 year sub I bought from my grandson for his magazine sale drive. At least he got some credit for it. I really liked them especially the August issue and was looking forward to the next 22. TRJ, TR&K, and CKD are my favorites but purchased at Barnes and Noble. I know it costs more but I am trying to do my best to support the local workers. I never use self-serve checkouts at Home Depot, Lowes, and grocery stores for the same reason. Being booted from my job of 24 years at the tender age of 54 was no fun and I hope my efforts are helping someone in need.
    RIP R and C and good luck to Kev and all affected.

15. TTTT8

TTTT8

I guess this means I won't be buying any more multiple year subscriptions to any magazines. Lost out on Hot Rod Builder, now R&C, and maybe PHR. Gotta cut my losses on unfulfilled subscriptions. Especially sad to see R&C gone - again!

16. nickleone

nickleone

Print mags are folding every where. LADIES HOME JOURNAL folds after 131 years.
    There will be nothing to read in the doctors office LOL.
    Nick

17. Thoughts out to any folks that lost employment over this. We thought Emap was bad but Source Interlink proved to be worse!

18. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

That sucks that they shut it down.......my father would bring over his latest issues and 'share' them with me......and he just renewed (even though RF was let go & he still had hope that it was going to stay the same)......didn't someone make the call back in 2010?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=10510

Chris

19. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Yes that is sad just renewed it

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I feel sad for the 6,000 employees I heard this has affected. :(

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I bought all of the annuals they had back in the late 70's and early 80's along with used older issues and have been subscribing since the relaunch in 1989. My favorites are the early 70's issues before that hiatus, with Tom M, Jake, Bud and the crew, so much great tech and stories. Sadly I think this is the future for printed media. I guess we should all roll our old subscription fees into an Alliance membership and support the HAMB.

Muttley likes this.
  22. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I'm 61 and first subscribed to R&C when I was 10. I still have almost every issue I got new and many more I picked up second-hand, going back to issue #1.

That magazine started the fire for me: see my HAMB alias.
    Thanks to all the staffers over the years who made it a special part of our lives.

23. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Sign of the times! I guess us old Kustom guys are dinosaurs!

24. Larry my friend ... I'm curious how you are getting FREE Internet access? ... Last time I looked at my Comcast & Verizon statements, I was paying $39.99/month for the high-speed Internet connection at my home ... and $17.99/month for an "Unlimited Data Plan" for my iPhone ... but then again, I don't have a "Donna" to pay my bills :rolleyes: :D

RAZIN CAIN likes this.
  25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Let my subscription run out a few years back, couldnt even see it being worth the 10$ a year or whatever it got down to. Condolences to the folks who lost theyre job in this deal.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Damn Hemi, Comcast cable connection, around here, costs me $80.00 a month and that's just for high-speed internet access...and I don't even have a cell phone - can't afford it...!!! There ain't nothing FREE anymore...!!!

R-

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

This has been coming for some time. When the big corporations started buying up competing magazines, it's a sign that the weaker ones would be the first to fall. Not saying R&C was weak, but it was a somewhat limited market. Folding it into Street Rodder is a logical choice for a downsizing move, as they cover a lot of the same territory. With the corporations, the bottom line rules, and if they can save a buck or two and make three or four, that's what drives them. I haven't bought any magazines in years other than an occasional news stand purchase. Like many others have said, I can find what I want on the web, and print it out if I want a hard copy. Times change, and it sucks that people lose their jobs when things change, but that's life. I'm sure the buggy whip and horse collar makers cussed the new automakers with those new fangled horseless carriages came out. Best of luck to those folks, I hope they land in a better job!

28. That sucks balls! That was the ONLY rag I would actually buy instead of just flip through at the book store!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ol' Stroker McGurk is pissed!!!

NOPSI likes this.
  30. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Kev is in at Street Rodder now