Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1949 FORD F1 PICKUP 460 BUILD QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twistedridez, May 26, 2014.

1. twistedridez

twistedridez

Hey guys I been looking for some info on other 460 builds but don't find much.. I'm thinking of building my 49 f1 with a 460 and c6 combo 9 inch rear, I found mounts for the engine and trans, so that's good... Disc brake kit maybe in front but I like to keep the stock steering and suspension.. Any one done this? Is it safe to rebuild and drive 75mph? Is there better options? I drive the truck as it is stock with a 6 cylinder and I get death wobble at 35 mph,,,

F-ONE likes this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Rebuild the suspension - including the king pins which is where your "death wobble" is likely coming from - and the brakes, and the steering system. Then think about an engine swap. Ya' gots ta' take things in order, with safety always put before speed. Good luck with your F-1 project!

F-ONE likes this.
  3. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

if your getting wobble at 35 mph then your front suspension is wore out. my f1 handles fine at 55 mph. if your putting in a 460 in It, you better upgrade with something like a mustang ll front end. 460 is way too many pony's for that little truck without beefing things up.

4. twistedridez

twistedridez

Thanks missysdadl I agree with the safety part... The new drive train is sitting in the corner and I've been driving the truck around a little as is to get a feel for it... Steering and brakes are a must for me, just hate to go to work on the stock frame and find out I should have went a more modern way. I read about the s-10 chassis nightmare, and have found any other options,

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm just starting on a new F-1 project, twistedridez. Mine's a '50 that's still flathead powered with everything bone stock from top to bottom. My current plan is to keep the flatty and the stock suspension, with a gear change to allow comfortable cruising. I do not want to use any modern suspension components on this one but will do my best to keep it "traditional" with dropped axle, reworked leaf springs and rebuilt stock drum brakes. I've seen too many really nice F-1's ruined by guys who clipped 'em with a modern suspension that was too wide and while I'm sure they ride great they sure look like dog poop. Good luck with yours!

6. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

A friend of mine put an Aerostar front suspension under a 50 F1. Disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, bolts in.

7. Twisted,
    The engine is not going to be too much for the original chassis and front axle/suspension. The truck was built stout from the factory. yes I agree with Missysdad1 rebuild the front end prior to starting an engine swap unless you intend to pull the truck down for a complete redo all at once.

Maybe you will want to do a disc brake conversion, that is a personal choice. The drums will stop it fine unless the only thing you have ever driven is an antilock braked Toyota. If that is the case you will have to learn to drive the truck. Old cars and trucks are not new cars and trucks and should never be expected to be them.

Like the F-I, I have owned a couple. Our shop truck for the service station that I worked at in high School was an Olds 394 powered '49. Complete with B&M Hydro, great truck would pull stumps and drove well. Of course that was in the '60s and pintos/Mustang IIs had not yet been invented. ;)

F-ONE and twistedridez like this.
  8. twistedridez

twistedridez

Thanks Everyone, I think I'm gonna check into the toyota box, and rebuild the front end. Just wondering if I can fit a power steering pump on the 460 because I plan on having A/C?

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Keep in mind as you mix modern and traditional components, twistedridez, that the early suspensions were not designed or built to withstand the forces you intend to put on them. Power steering on early Ford front ends - especially with modern tires - is a dicy combination, as is disc brakes on dropped axles.

You are introducing "force multipliers" which may cause catastrophic failures...which by definition always happen at the worst possible moment.

Be smart. Be safe. Live long.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh yes, Twisted. Bolt a MUSTANG II front end under there, by all means. After all, the Mustang ll suspension was designed to hold up a 2400 lb. unibody pony car.

Your truck weighs 3,000 lbs. with the little flathead. Add on the extra weight of a 460 and a C-6. The 'street rodders' and magazine editors might favor the Mustang ll for everything that rolls, but it is best confined to lighter usage.
    The F1 axle and a new set of springs and bushings/shackles is your best bet.
    Tried and proven, disc brake kits are available, and work great with your spindles.
    Some customers of mine had Must ll installed in '40 Ford pickups, F1s, and 2 F100s.
    Drove like a fat man on a tricycle...

F-ONE and GreenMonster48 like this.
  11. LOL being well versed in things non automotive I truly believe that fat men should be on trikes. :D :D :D

I think that there is something that people don't understand about the Mustang II, it is popular because magazine guys make their living from advertisement. If fatman or heidts was marketing Twin I Beam then it would be better than pockets in a T shirt. ;)

F-ONE likes this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

For IFS under a narrow truck, the Jag is definitely the way to go.
    The Dakota IFS has been re-engineered to work nicely under F1s and F100s also...

13. birdman1

birdman1

I installed a 1995 F150 4x4 chassis ,302 5-speed, under my 1951 Studebaker long box pickup. was musch easier than modifing the old chassis and drove and ran just like a 1995 Ford ! Think about it.

14. My old 49 F-1 came to me with a 289/cruisomatic. It was all stock otherwise. It was the only vehicle I owned so I drove it everywhere and had no problems with it except slow steering and I got use to that. Mine had the old original Dana 4.27 ratio rear axle so I seldom saw anything over 60 MPH. The only handling problems I had with mine was when fully loaded [I used it as a pickup truck] it was almost uncontrollable over 40 MPH. I attributed that to worn spring-eye bushings on both axles. Brakes worked just fine, even fully loaded on steel Oregon hills. Rockys49F_1.jpg
    A 460 is a big, heavy lump and I'd imagine it would make a 49 F-1 unpleasant to drive very far. Unless I was using the truck to haul heavy loads locally, I'd sell the 460 and drop in a small block.
    Your mileage may vary.