Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spring Hangers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, May 27, 2014.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hello Hambers,

I am building an A-framed highboy roadster with a 1940 rear end and am looking for a source to buy the spring hangers Vern Tardel mentioned in his book.
    Can anyone help me out with an info?
    thanks Jan

2. D Staig

D Staig

In the book it says the hangers were sourced from Specialty Ford Parts...don't know if they're still around but you might find a contact number in this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/specialty-ford-parts-still-around.30693/
    Otherwise another solution would be to cut the hangers (complete with top backing plate holes) off some old Model A axle tubes, and then bolt/weld them to your '40 rear.

3. Myself and a lot of others went the model a spring hanger route and it works great. I couldn't find a good source for the hangers mentioned in the book and hear they are tricky to weld without warping the axle housing. I paid $5 for my donner axle and spent about an hour trimming and fitting the hangers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. alchemy

alchemy

Search for a post by Chris on how to do the A hanger transplant.

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

^^^^what he said^^^^^

6. FlatJan

FlatJan

ok, thank you guys :)
    so I guess Model A hangers are the way I'm gonna go!
    I know this is not the classifieds but if someone has a nice pair please pm me.
    thanks! Jan

7. Craigslist is your friend on this. I picked up a couple old farm trailers for $5 each. Got an A axle and a 35 banjo.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!