Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Ford motorboat style

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Model-A-Bomb, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Yeah, that's a great sedan . Those generally don't do much for me, but that one is well done. Tasty.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I think that's one of Rik's photoshop customs.

3. Yeah,it probably is but like Gallagher use to say."It's got style" :D HRP

4. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Down just enough in back for motorboat stance.
    [​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  5. frankieC

frankieC

Mine's a 38 but the same sedan body

Attached Files:

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just 2 days ago here in my town I met a '40 tudor standard, light gray metallic, with skirts and sombreros on the front with wide whites, he was driving down a local street, not a highway, so he was either local or visiting a local.
    Car looked really nice as I met and passed him, hope I get another, longer and closer look at it!
    Back in the day there were lots of 39/40s around town, sorta scarce now, but they've always been among my favorites. I like them as taildraggers with skirts also, tossup between bubble skirts and teardrops with flare at bottom.

7. adam401

adam401

[​IMG]

I'm hoping I'll be a motor boating son of a bitch by spring. Flat crossmember in rear and stock front spring reversed up front. Jackstand was holding the fender up before I repaired the mounting holes;)

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

9. Looking good Adam! My next project is a taildraggin' sombitch right now...it will have a nose up attitude in the next year or so..;)
    View attachment 2104580

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. adam401

adam401

Awesome, I wish I started with that much car

11. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

you dirty motorboaters! Building some bitchin cars out there guys! Way to go!

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

That's gorgeous Rik!

13. This is no motorboat stance. This is Titanic at full speed :).I absolutly love it and maybe for my next project I will look for a Merc sedan.Can´t stop getting back to this photo.

Model T1 likes this.
  14. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

^ she sure is purdy, clearly these cars dont exist in the frozen tundra of western New York

15. Im with you Kenneth! Rick got this one perfect!

16. Rik can you confirm pls this is a photoshop? If it's a real car I'd like to see more pics.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Motorboat stance, wonder where it came from. Someone probably saw this and said umm.
    [​IMG]
    Good thread and some great photos.

jakespeed63 and Model T1 like this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Never heard 'motorboat', but:
    Santa Clara, 1953: an older Mexican dude from the adjoining 'hood' ran it down to me. I was 11.

It went: "Forty-one Cheevy, lowered in back, like a SPEEDBOAT; Dual spots, skirts an' mudflaps, twin pipes, split 2 an' 4. You'll see it, I'll drive it on this street..."
    ...And he did! Tony ("Smoky" to his friends) came by Grandma's house with pipes cracklin', 'DING-DONG', Bermuda bell and the vacuum operated wolf whistle.
    The little girls on the sidewalk were jumping rope, and chanting:

"Motorboat, motorboat, go so slow...
    Motorboat, motorboat, go so fast;
    Motorboat, motorboat: STEP ON THE GAS!"

I told 'em "Speedboat," but they didn't listen. Ah, Santa Clara.

Model T1 and 41FordSuperDeluxe like this.
  19. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Major bummer, just passed on an NOS set of '40 skirts a buddy told me about. What, who wants skirts? Well after these pics maybe ME! Replace wheels with red steel ones and whitewalls?

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Red steel ones and whitewalls Natch! ...Only, cover most of the wheels with "bar Moons" (full Moons with flipper) Make sure you have 1/2" red wheel strip showing...Cad sombreros work, too.
    Also check to see the skirts are low enough to prevent anyone from seeing the rear wheels...no caps on the rear, just some white sidewall. (saved $$ on old Customs...only had to buy 2 hubcaps!)

21. threewindow

threewindow

Motorboat started way back in the fortys and fiftys . If you lowered it down in back everyone thought it looked like a motorboat. I saw my first shaved trunk lid on a 48 ford conv. from california back in 1948. I have been hooked ever since. To me the 48 to 52 customs (did'nt use the k back then) were the greatest. It would be hard to say , I like sam barris's merc but if it was mine I would have done it this way or that. They lose me if they get to radical. Perfection is hard to define. Same way with hot rods, we used what was available at the time. Some were great and some were clunkers. Craftsmanship made all the difference. Everyone wanted so and so's car because he had the talent, and dared to be different.

22. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Here's mine.It;s become a stalled project, i've not been able to do much for the last couple of years, so next month its off to a hotrod shop to get done! :)
    [​IMG]

23. I agree with HRP, I never heard the term motor boat style till this thread. They were lowered or raked where I grew up.

24. Model T1

Model T1

I'm with a lot of others, altho being from the midwest we were always behinder. My 1939 Ford coupe hasn't been on the road forever but has a pair of steel bubble skirts I got at a swap meet. The 1941 2-door has a pair of fibreglass skirts. Right now niether car is a taildragger but I have been known to motorboat occasionally.
    To get this straight it was a couple of snotnosed little girls playing jump rope who came up with this motorboat thing! Makes sense because it was with girls I first heard and learned to motorboat!
    P1010039.JPG

jakespeed63 likes this.