Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Phantom Liner

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, May 23, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Phantom Liner

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Menacing doesn't come close to that photo!!!!

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've never met a streamliner that I didn't like....I really like this one.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I had never seen the shot of it in primer doing the burnout... Dear god...

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I wish I knew more about it Joey, but we both know that If you don't know something about a vintage race car then I sure as hell won't know. That picture is pretty ridiculous, in REALLY good way. Oh, and good idea to add the side note about the google image search. I barely knew about it so I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that will find it useful.

6. Joey @J.Ukrop Ukrop -

I too have had this "Phantom Liner" pic collecting "digital dust" in my photo archives ... I could have sworn I found it here on the H.A.M.B. ... but couldn't find it searching through the several other TJJ Blogs / HAMB threads about Jocko and/or his streamliners:
    Perhaps our resident LIONS Drag strip historian (Doug @Mazooma1 Hayes) posted it ... I noticed that the majority of his Photobucket images have gone missing (i.e., been moved or deleted from his Photobucket albums).

7. That car is pure sex. There is an example (recreation or not?) at Garlits Museum. I could look at it for hours, but my wife gets so damn jealous.

8. catdad49

catdad49

Never seen this shot before. Pure Nirvana. Does look a little more stretched than the red and white version, but a menacing, monster shot. Thanks for the post and ya'll have a fun and safe weekend!

9. junkman8888

junkman8888

Please note smoke inside the cockpit. What a wild ride

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm at that age where my memories of the distant past are often clearer than those of last week. And when I saw the pic on the home page of J J I said to myself,"Seems to me that was owned/built by a guy named Jocko." Damn, I was right! That was one of several attempts back then to use aerodynamics in drag racing, with not a lot of success from most. Most successful to my memory was the beautiful open wheel, streamlined body, enclosed cockpit "Glass Slipper" from Sacto, CA. Have regrets to this day that I didn't try to get a peek at that car when I briefly lived in Sacto in the late 50s. The car set FIA records that stood for many years, may still hold them for all I know!
    Often wondered whether with today's aero space knowledge, CAD CAM design and all the digital technology if there would be success today with streamlining at today's blistering spe

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Looks to be at Lions. Possibly someone can narrow down how long the car lived in primer to estimate what year this was. Maybe someone such as Mazooma was actually there and saw it run in this guise...

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Weight of aerodynamic form overshadows any gain from it

Outback likes this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This was always true in the past, but that was before lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, etc. being easily available, and before the astronomical power of todayh's top fuel engines.
    These 2 factors could possibly change that equation, maybe?

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Racer/engineer Jim Head spent Thousands of dollars on super liteweight composites and Ti to inclose his fuel car aerodynamicly, Conclusion== "Making it strong enough to withstand the forces to keep it from colapsing and holding shape added weight which negated any bennifits".

Anything you look at today is not slipstream aerodynamics but "AIR MANAGEMENT"
    There is an old addage "If it looks aerodynamic- It probably isn't"

Modern fuel racing today is not about HP as much about controling it , and that is done inside the clutch can.

Speedwrench and HEMI32 like this.
  15. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

It sure looks like the Mooneyes Yellow Streamliner before paint to me.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

That primer Streamliner reminds me of an SR-71 Blackbird I saw take off at Kadena Air Force Base Okinawa. Never heard an aircraft make that much noise before.

Just Gary likes this.
  17. snaptwo

snaptwo

Garlts ordered a body claimed to set new speed and ET records and found it would fly at 180. I did visit Jockos old metal barn/shop on No.Cherry in Long Beach while the hand formed alum. body was being built (hunks of the glass car served as his sign) perhaps that was the primered car ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I would guess this is the body built for Don Garlits before final paint. But never saw the car so just guessing. I had a rubber band powered model of Jocko's streamliner back in my early teens. Remember those?

19. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Reminds me of the ME262 Fighter

20. That is an absolutely wicked shot! Need a framed, or at least laminated version for my garage...

21. Benoit Pigeon

Benoit Pigeon

1987 outside Garlits Museum

Attached Files:

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

s-l1600-1.jpg
    Same place in a different time. Lifted off eBay. I'm thinking the car was in black primer right before this.

Papas32 likes this.
  24. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic