Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. Todd M.

Todd M.

Update 11/25/2015

1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build ***Update photos page 12*** 5/22/15
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Update photo 7/14/14
    [​IMG]

I have this thought that came to mind to build a really unique roadster truck out of a 1937 I just picked up this past Tuesday. What I have in mind is to cut the windshield post and windshield frame by 2 ½”, then cut the roof and door post off and convert the chopped hard top into a canvas hardtop that is held in with latches. Not sure if I’m going to run fenders, or motorcycle half fenders, or just open wheels and tires yet.
    So, this is the vision I have: Maroon (lacquer) paint with light beige roadster canvas top (or painted), with 5 oz. buffalo hide medium-dark brown bomber leather bench seat, bomber seat belts, 40’ steering wheel, 37’ dash, no hood, maybe a 32 grill, 1949 flathead 2 deuces, offy heads, 1949 3 spd. w/ floor shifter handmade, 1940-49 cream/wheat color steelies w/4” white wall bias ply tires, 40 juice brakes, 40 banjo rear convert to open drive shaft 4-6” dropped I-beam, and black frame.
    I live in Casselberry Florida and this roadster hot rod truck would be a blast around here in sunny Florida, your opinions appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. butch

butch
    from Michigan

3. You had me at maroon liquor

4. butch

butch
    from Michigan

I don't think so. Please this must be a joke.

5. Todd M.

Todd M.

Joke? How so?

6. Todd M.

Todd M.

7. Todd M.

Todd M.

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

When did 37 truck converted to roadster with a 32 grill become traditional?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Special Ed likes this.
  9. Todd M.

Todd M.

Good question. I thought '49 and older parts used was considered traditional? Except for the top conversion everything else would be traditional. Maybe a 32' grill not sure yet.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  10. Todd M.

Todd M.

Ok, excluding the term traditional, what do you guys think of the start of this build?

11. Go for it , why not.

12. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Looks like a really nice 37 truck cab. I would chop it hard and run a 37 grill shell. But that's just my opinion, build what you like. It would be worth more for resale as a chopped pickup than a homemade roadster.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Todd M.

Todd M.

I'm not ruling out a 37 grill, just need to find one reasonably priced. The cab is in great shape with very minimal rust, and very strait as well. As far as the build goes, when I get done with it, it will look like Henry Ford built it. I've been metal fabricating for more than a couple of decades now and no job is too big or intimidating. With top on it will look chopped, just removable as well.

ABONES likes this.
  14. Todd M.

Todd M.

I plan on bracing the cab this week and cutting off the top after I get the rest of the cab down to metel. I'm sure their are fellas that are doing a 37' chop that may need that extra 2" upper door frame metal and drip rail for there projects. I'm lacking in many parts for this build so maybe we can do a little horse trading for what comes off for parts I need. I will make a wish list soon. Anyone want a follow along build of this project?

15. oldolds

oldolds

What your talking about has been done before. Look around here and you should see a couple. There will be quite a few on a RR site.

16. I wanna try some of that Maroon liquor. What's it taste like?I don't think I would paint with it.☺

17. Todd M.

Todd M.

I get it what a marooooon! I meant lacquer paint lol. I never touch the stuff!?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  18. Unless i am not seeing the peak on the roof, and the flat windshield that is a 35-36 cab.

19. Todd M.

Todd M.

Has both with hinged split glass windshield frame, it's a 37'
    [​IMG]

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what brought on this "inspiration"? what will you make the frame of the roof out of? will it have a smoothe rounded look, or like a old time look with bows? many find it easy to cut a roof off but, few get the finished look right. Henry Ford built trucks with full fenders. search around for something other than a '32 grill. what does a bomber bench seat look like?

21. So what you want to do is a '37 Pickup with a Carson style top correct? Built correctly ( proper shape and proportions) it shouldn't look too bad.

22. Todd M.

Todd M.

Correct, you get what I'm going for.

23. Todd M.

Todd M.

"]so, what brought on this "inspiration"? I wanted to build something different, The chop top has been done, why not a chop top roadster?

what will you make the frame of the roof out of? I will make it out of the cut off top chopped 2 1/2" or so and make latches for it.

What does a bomber bench seat look like?
    5 oz. buffalo hide medium-dark brown bomber leather bench seat .Answer- brown Bomber jacket leather

bantam likes this.
  24. Todd M.

Todd M.

I plan on bracing and cutting the cab tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. You did ask for opinions,don't try to make it into something it will never be.

Build it as a truck,chop it if you like,throw the fenders away if you want but please forget about trying to make a roadster pickup out of it and use a appropriate grill shell,,something that fits the proportions of a mid to late 30's body style not a '32 grill shell.

You can take my suggestions with a grain of salt but what you are describing comes of sounding like a rodent rod,not a traditional hot rod IMHO. HRP

26. Todd M.

Todd M.

Boy, some of you fellas are going to be surprised in a good way at the finish line of this project. I build show cars and trucks, many best of show winners. I'm done doing concourse rotisserie restorations, and devoting my time to really cool and ballsy one off show and go hot rods.

27. Clark

Clark

Looking forward to see what you do. I've got a 35 cab that will be a RPU ....sorta.
    Clark

28. Todd M.

Todd M.

I got the cab braced today. My philosophy is, If you think too much you will over think yourself out of this kind of build. So, I went for it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  29. Todd M.

Todd M.

30. Todd M.

Todd M.

[​IMG]

A mock up of the windshield
    [​IMG]

ratrodcentral likes this.