Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me understand this vacuum gauge reading

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Devin, May 24, 2014.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I'm working on fine tuning my freshly broken in 327. I hooked up my vacuum gauge to full manifold vacuum and it seems to be reading backwards. At idle, it shows 10" hg and when you give it some gas the vacuum rises to 25"ish. Weird. Can anyone help explain this or let me know if I'm doing something wrong? I took a video of the gauge but can't seem to upload it. Thanks

Posted traditionally using tin cans and a string.

2. daily_driver

daily_driver

Sounds like it is connected to ported vacuum, not manifold. The needle should be reading the opposite. Check a different port on the manifold or carb. -dd

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. samurai mike

samurai mike

sounds like you are hooked up to ported vacuume

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could you post a picture of where you attached it?

5. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

It's a nipple directly connected to the intake runner ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400986470.446856.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400986492.212382.jpg
    Here's the gauge I'm using. Thanks guys

6. Do you have a fairly big cam? If so, it could explain the lower idle vacuum and then why it increases with rpm. The big cam has too much overlap at low speeds and causes the low vacuum. Once speed increases the overlap is beneficial and the engine "works" better, and vacuum increases.

7. jerry

jerry

Intake leak?

jerry

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

My cam is pretty moderate. It the comp xs268s the specs are:
    230/236 @ 0.050"
    0.016" valve lash (solid lifter)
    0.490/0.501 lift
    110 degrees LSA
    Installed straight up and degreed

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could you repeat the test with the linkage to the secondary carbs detached?

10. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I will. I removed the distributor to replace it. The old one had some slip in it. I will try tomorrow. The secondary carbs seem to seal well though.

12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

SerfsS

13. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Gimpy, you just got me thinking. I don't think in even opening the secondary carbs. Do you think that perhaps the engine is demanding more air than the center carb can supply at pet throttle thus creating a higher vacuum scenario? Thanks for the advice so far

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure. Let's see what it does on just the center carb. Still too many variables,

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It might just be me, but non the less;

If you put a gauge on where you have it now, you Just get vacum, created by the injector effect from a pipe injected a cross an airstream. This is complet useless for any purpose, except "draining" a vacuum booster, or creating an vacuum driven RPM gauge!! It only tells you that there is air flow in your manifold!

If you wish to balance you carbs or use is a diagnostic tool, you must connect your gauge just by the base of the carb, even better in the carb by the butterfly(s).
    If you wants to balance your carbs to each other, you will need one gauge Per carb. And a outlet Per carb. If you want to use it as a economy meter one is enough.

Try Youtube, there is some great on doing honda cb400/4. I know they are OT and build by the "enemy". But you might find an American made video this ;-)

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, you're reading from that port or a manifold vacumm port on the carb will be the same.

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Anyone know how to post a video from the phone? I can show exactly what I'm talking about.

18. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

That's what I thought. This is really weird. I readjusted my valves last night too to see if they had anything to do with it. They were a little loose. Also, re-verified TDC. I will verify timing after the neighbors are up.

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Can you verify your efforts with another vac gauge?

20. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

It's funny you mention that; I purchased a new gauge yesterday because i thought there may have been an issue with my old one. Same results on either gauge.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If I'm in fact is wrong, then please prove me wrong, by doing it the way I learned it.
    Not to be dis-respectful in any way, but still this is what I have learned as the correct way!

What is it you want to do?
    Balance multiple carbs to each other?

Because I get a different reading from the base of my Weber, then from the pleanum. And in my training I've learned that the vacuum in the runner only tells me how well the individual sucks/performs.

22. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Bernoulli's effect can throw vacuum readings off if the port opens to an area of high flow velocity. I would try a different port to read the vacuum & use the new guage too. With both connected you can compare readings & see if there's a discrepancy.

Over carburation can mean low vacuum and stumbling at off-idle rpms. (Just above an idle, at which opening most cruising takes place.) But at idle speed, this isn't normally an issue IMO.

If you have a vacuum leak, and the idle mix was raised to mask the leak & allow an idle, then the engine will have low vacuum at idle. It will normally stumble too, unless you're set up very rich, at which point it won't wind up well. The effect of vacuum leaks is normally worst at idle to low RPM. Huge airflow at high RPM makes a small leak ineffective then.

23. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

My carburetor seems to be pretty much on point. No stumbling and the plugs are a nice tanish white. I was using the vac gauge to help with timing and diagnose a small miss. Thanks

24. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I don't need to balance the carbs as they are run progressively. The outer carb throttle plates are pretty well sealed and not leaking when running on the center carb. My original question was to see why the vacuum gauge seems to run backwards (increasing in vacuum as the throttle is open rather than losing vacuum). I appreciate your insight

25. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

No change with the end carb linkage disconnected. I got it running pretty well though. It's a bit lean and has some surging when I romp on it. Getting closer!

26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Well in my mind this is a case of Bernoulli versus vacuum.

27. The question of the vacuum in the runner is not really the same as a multi-carb motorcycle with individual runners - those do have to be synced and can have different vacuum based on each carb opening. The manifold on his car is all (relatively) constant vacuum. Yes, at the base of the carb or right in the plenum is better, but total vacuum should be about the same. The runner just makes for a bit more needle shake.

28. is the exhaust clear?

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, totally different scenarios when you have a common plenum vs one carb per cylinder as the multi-carbed motorcycle that was referred to in an earlier post.

30. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I have lakes headers that are baffled with a half a glass pack in each one. This definitely mellowed the noise to an acceptable neighborhood cruise level. Do you think that these are causing excessive back pressure and associated drama? Thanks