Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y Block head milling

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sunbeam, May 24, 2014.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Anyone know how much to take off the intake side in relationship to the deck side?

2. There's a Y Block social forum, you could try asking in there. Or find mctim64, he would know.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember too you will need to match the intake to the intake to the new head angle. I will check my piston height but we added new custom ross pistons with a change pin height to raise C/R and improve efficiency as a bonus. As stated mctim is the guru with a track record to prove it.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Thanks 1954vicky I found it on their site the multiplier for a for a Y block 1.4

5. Mart

Mart

Can you explain further? So for instance, if I were to mill my Y-Block heads by .040", how much should I take off the inlet face?

Thanks.

Mart.

6. joee

joee

.040X1.4=.056

7. Mart

Mart

Thanks for that, I didn't realise it was that simple. I just laid it all out in autocad and I got a factor of 1.3125. Sounds like an odd number but in my example for a 40 thou cut, the intake would need to be cut by 52.5 thou.

I did have to find a cross sectional view of the motor to get the angle of the intake face. Fwiw if the intake face is at 90 degrees to the head face, the factor for skimming the intake face is 1:1. Take 40 thou off for a 40 thou skim. The angular difference is what generates the factor.

Thanks for making me think.

Mart.