Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods *** Winfield S-AA-D Carburetor Questions ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A BONED, May 13, 2014.

1. A BONED

A BONED

I have a mild 32 4 banger in my 28 roadster that has a 2x1 intake and runs a couple of Winfield S-AA-D carbs. No matter what I do I can't get the front carb to stop leaking gas. Where can I get these two carbs rebuilt, who is a guru with Winfield down draft carburettors?
    Failing that I would consider getting a 2x2 intake and run a couple of Stromberg 81's, where on the HAMB is a Stromberg expert and can build me a couple of nice 81's?

Attached Files:

2. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I would check:
    1-The float level. There is a brass nut or plug on the side of the bowl, you can use that to check your fuel level. To adjust the float, GENTLY bend the hinged brass flapper that is underneath the needle and seat.
    2-Make sure you do not have too much fuel pressure. 1 or 1 1/2 pounds for a Winfield is more than adequate. Any more an it will leak.

3. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks GZ, I am running the standard mechanical fuel pump but have not checked the fuel pressure coming out of it. I have also adjusted the float levels on both carbs. Keep the ideas coming fellas...

4. Carter

Carter

How about switching the needle and seat from one carb to the other to see if the problem follows? Not the easiest check, but would give you a direction to go in.

5. Gorgeous setup!

The Winfield carbs are so ridiculously easy to rebuild...really, it's just a matter of replacing gaskets. The needles are often blunted from being screwed around with, so I'd recommend adding some silver solder to restore the tip. Gentle work with a file will also help true the mating surface between the throat and the bowl.

Where, specifically, is yours leaking?

6. no way would i trade those for 81's.
    just a little love on the needles and you will be fine
    tk

7. Andyman

Andyman

You didn't say but I imagine the inlet cover is where the leak is. The ears get pulled down and the cover isn't flat anymore. It can be flattened on a piece of sandpaper on a nice flat surface like a table saw top. Then use a thick gasket, some of the available gaskets are a little thin. Also the 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of fuel pressure is gospel with a Winfield.

Andy

8. A BONED

A BONED

That's good advice they do leak from the inlet cover. One of the pair also leaks from the two brass screws in the front side of the carb. Hopefully the attached image of someone else's Winfield carbs makes it clearer.

Attached Files:

9. RussTee

RussTee

nice set up would check fuel pressure

10. A BONED

A BONED

Ok fellas, I got myself an adjustable regulator
    Didn't realize the Winfields were so sensitive to fuel pressure, good tip for the novice.

11. Which reg will you be using Gomez?

12. A BONED

A BONED

Ratso, I have one of those rotary adjustable regs. I also have a Holley and a Mallory adjustable reg but they don't really fit the bill if you know what I mean. Andyman is right the gaskets provided are a little thin, thicker gaskets for the Winfields would make a world of difference.

13. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

when new the fuel level was changed by different thickness gaskets under the needle-seat. the tab on the float is rather weak and should not be bent unless necessary.