Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To letter or not to letter??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inland empire hot rods, May 23, 2014.

?

Should I letter up my car 60s style

Poll closed May 30, 2014.
  1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Ok guys, question is should I letter up my car, you know, professionally done with gold leaf? Im going for a 60s DRAG look but will drive on street....Dont hate, just curiuos on opinions

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

it might help if you had a pic or at least what kind of car it is. it could be a '53 Packard or some other kind of car not usually lettered..

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When in doubt, leave it out.

But yes, post a picture.

4. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Its a 29 Dodge 5 window coupe, the one in my avatar. It will run a blown 392. Im having a hell of a time posting pics with the new format....there are a bunch in my album

5. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

I want that look every now and then, I bought a sheet of thin magnetic material and stuck my lettering on that for removal and replacement when i'm going to the track
    [​IMG]

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If it looks like a race car, it better be able to prove it. At least every now and then. Case in point, I know a couple guys who have "Tuners". I'd bet money on those hopped up Hondas and Toyotas all day long. But what REALLY pisses off a "Tuner" are the guys who slap a bunch of decals and a wing on their car and call their shit fast. "Ricers" aka posers.

So, if your car can back up the look, and it appears to, then go for it. You'll probably get challenged by the occasional mini-van (don't ask why) or Mustang, but what you do then, is up to you. I like to give them a head start and wink at their girlfriend or wife, as I pass. Makes me smile.

Disclaimer: DPS laws apply. Consult your local law enforcement regarding street racing.

7. His car is definatly not a poser! Gold leaf would look cool on there!

8. Are you planing on painting the car,can't tell too much about the car in the avatar but from what I can see it appears that you can back up the look....HRP

9. swsimon

swsimon

My opinion: If it looks like a race car and can back it up go for it. Otherwise I would not do it. Scott

10. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Yes HRP it is going to paint in the next few weeks, a candy orange Harley color. As for backing it up, I get it, I drag raced for years, won't do it on street. But, with a blown injected and stroked 392, it should go pretty good.....keyword....should. lol

Sent from my EVO using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Letter it up!!!

12. Oh yeah,,I love Gold Leaf! HRP

13. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

If you do letter the car,please don't put a gas class designation on it if it is to remain unfendered. Some guys with some otherwise very nice unfendered cars make this mistake. Gassers had fenders. I only mention this since you said you were going for a 60s A/GS look. Right now the car in your avatar looks like an altered minus a little engine setback. Cool car. Looks like a really fun ride.

spiffy1937 likes this.
  14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The car in your avatar is not a gasser........good grief

iwanaflattie and Mr48chev like this.
  15. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Pa G, thanks for a cool heads up, too bad mazoomal couldn't have said more....

16. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Also check your state laws- I know of at least one guy in Connecticut that got a ticket cause
    he had passenger plates- lettering over a certain size required either combination or commercial
    plates. One of those laws that rarely gets enforced but some times an officer gets his back up-
    like when you wink at his wife as you pass his minivan.

17. it would be AA/Altered or BB/ALTERED depending weight to cubic inch

spiffy1937 likes this.
  18. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Thanks Jeff!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the look. Before 55 at NED 56 10 25 09wp.JPG

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. When I had my street & strip 32 pickup lettered I had a hell of a time finding an insurance company that would insure it. Something you may look into before having it lettered.

Mick

22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I don't know seems like the thing to do and every third car it seemed at the cruise night last night was lettered or numbered on the doors or quarters and definitely street driven primarily. Reminded me of the graphics craze of the early ninties. I voted no.

iwanaflattie and Mr48chev like this.
  23. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Joey, but were any done period correct with hand painted gold leaf lettering?

24. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Thanks Mick! I hadnt thought of the insurance ramifications. Ill look into that

25. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I don't think it would look bad by any means, don't get me wrong. Its like Astro Supreme wheels in the last five years that were on many, many cars when they were in fashion as the latest trend for change. They are a great looking wheel in the right application. Your car looks good and if you want lettering by all means you should have it. It's just kind of like I want to be different like everyone else type of thing right now. Your motor pictured in avatar speaks for itself, already carrying a big stick and doesn't need the extra garnishments. Keep in mind that's my opinion only.

26. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

If you'll send me a good side shot of the car and what name you want on it, I'll do a layout and print of it in my spare time for you to see what it will look like...I do this all the time for my customers....for you...no charge cause of the HAMB connection...............send the pictures to [email protected]

27. I voted yes! I am having mine lettered as well!

28. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Wow, that is so very cool of you! Let me work on finding a suitable side shot, Ill email you as soon as I find the right picture, thanks again. Mark

29. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

letteringpic1.jpg Thanks Tanner, what a cool guy! This gives me idea what it might look like

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in with those who say if you letter it and put a class on it put the CORRECT FREAKING CLASS on it. Nothing looks sillier to me than any street car sporting a classification that it could and would not qualify for. Gas class cars all had fenders and gas class cars did not have chopped tops. At least research it and get the class it would have actually run in right so you won't end up being in the same league as the posers who show up at Bonneveille with the roached out fenderless Model A's with C/G shoe polished on the quarters in an attempt to garner attention.

That's going to be a mean looking and hard running car do it up as it deserves to be done up.