Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why the new Format?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by johnod, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnod

johnod

I'm curious why was the format changed?
    I preferred the old format, much easier to scroll through threads looking for what you like.
    I don't see any improvement with the new format , so why, anyone got an answer, as opposed to a guess?

2. This should be fun. HRP

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I disagree with ya, obviously... Lots of new features, really clean look, foundation for the future.

Give it a chance.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

The looks may have changed but the forum is still the HAMB and still has the same (friendly) members and the same information it may look different but it also has new features and handles much better just like changing from cross ply to radials. I still find my way about the forum just as I did before and granted somethings have changed I can see Ryan has improved it for not just us as members of the forum but for ease on management. Just take some more time to explore the changes and you will see it is the same but just looks different.

5. johnod

johnod

I have been on it, and having to relearn stuff, I can figure out.
    My gripe is how slow it is to scroll through threads to find what you're looking for.
    All you have to do is go to the GJ forum, look how easy it is to scroll through threads while easily reading the subject matter. No big spaces, avatars, and dates,
    On my screen GJ 20 thread subjects displayed at a time, easy, and quick to read.
    Here 10 threads displayed, and not as easily or quickly read, and there are only half as many to go through.
    Try it.

6. johnod

johnod

I just went to the classifieds, only 5 threads displayed on the screen at one time.
    I don't think making things less efficient is a move forward, no matter clean it looks.

7. There obviously problems with your PC,I just checked out the classifieds and I counted 30 threads on the first page.

I honestly believe all other forums pale in comparison to the Hamb.

Ryan has invested a lot of time and I am sure a lot of long green developing a state of the art site and he doesn't charge a dime to use it yet there is a awful lot of members complaining about it.HRP

8. johnod

johnod

I said displayed on the screen, not per page.

9. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Well said HRP!

10. HammerDown

HammerDown

Don't worry, that is counterbalanced by the heavy amount of jocking that you do. It all balances out...

11. johnod

johnod

Yes I'm sure he has, and I'm sure he's making money off it too.( nothing wrong with that) And I'll bet it has something to do with the numbers of readers/members, so if some are asking a question and pointing out what they consider weak points, it might be something he might want to know about.
    If you feel nothing could make it better, well good for you, you're here.

I KNOW, I won't look at nearly as many ads as I did with the old system as this system is MUCH slower.
    That means less sales, which could mean less people will post, as they fail to make a sale,as their threads aren't being read.
    Which means smaller numbers.

Again something Ryan might want to know about.

12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Well I will just add to that by saying get used to it here as I am aware Ryan plans to take the change to the GJ forum as well.

13. In the regular forums I get 10 posts per page on here and 12 on the GJ not much of a difference. As for the classifieds I think most members would probably prefer to know where and how much something is than worry about having to scroll down the page a little more.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you read the tutorials or any of the dozen "why doesn't this work yet, how do i do this?" Threads you see that you can set not only how many threads will be displayed per page, but how large or small the print is.

Some stuff has some bugs, some needs the manager of the sub group to go through and re set the forums settings.

However nearly everything has been covered. And even though it may be a pain to currently search for it you will find it.

Personally I'm using the app and letting it have a month or so to sort the bugs out before I sit down and devote some time to figuring the new set up out.

As to why change things? Sounds like a question a hot rodder might hear often ;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. As for the classifieds,fear not people will continue to use them whether there is on post per page or 50.

This is a service Ryan offers and again it's free to anyone wanting to use it.

You might as well embrace it and get use to using it. HRP

16. I'm mainly the iPad user and I've grown comfortable with it, I often find I have to go the PC route which is an annoyance but still I have to say......you won't find a better site anywhere....and I'll be dammed if I don't always find what I need.....or at least someone to Point me in the right direction......so...settle in, adjust and learn a little....

17. jhutch713

jhutch713

I see both sides. It always sucks to learn something new when the old way was fine, but it is just as usable as before, just laid out different. I was very used to the old way, I could almost navigate with my eyes closed...but the more I post on here the easier it gets, in ways it is actually better...Hang in there bro you'll get it. As far as the ads per page make sure your view on the monitor is zoomed out to the right ratio...It may be at 125% or 150% cutting off the view. If you hold CTRL+ scroll on the mouse, you can scroll in and out to fit more on the screen. Just an idea. Hope it helps. Either way its still the best forum out there.

18. I've been exploring this new layout for the last three days, and my complaint is that even now that I've had time to get used to it, the simple act of reading a thread literally hurts my head. The fonts and textures are not easy on the eyes, and there is too much negative space in the main content area. I have a feeling a different, bolder font and a muted, off-white background color might serve to ease the nauseating effect.

knucklepower and PEDDRO like this.
  19. jeffkau

jeffkau

Im working my way around the new format. After all the changes I still cant load pictures easily. I have no problem with any other sites. Im a big dummy when it comes to computers. The old format was easier to navigate. I find myself not staying on as long(that may change). Hope this info helps. I do like the HAMB. I would like it to be easy and quick. Thanks

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good feedback man. I appreciate it. Q
    Would love to see you contribute... build posts, tech, art, etc... You get back what you put in - promise.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

gwhite gave a pretty good explanation a week or so back on The Ford Barn regarding the update. I too, am learning my way around the new HAMB, and learn something new every day. This is a really great site, as I realized a couple weeks ago when I purchased a new mag at the grocery store. It is the first one I have bought since 2009, when I joined here. I'm pretty sure it's time for me to become an Alliance Member, if for no other reason than to support the site I get so much out of.

gwhite likes this.
  22. Working through it as well. No matter how difficult it is, I'll stick it out because after all, it's the Hamb!
    I am realizing that we now have more tools and I can see that this software is important to how this place runs. Yes, more complicated and with a learning curve. Up for the challenge.

23. Man,that was quick!

I am a firm believer in supporting the Hamb,and your right it is the best site on the internet. HRP

ravedodger likes this.
  24. pspiak

pspiak
    from upstate ny

i prefer the old format

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No, you don't.

<jedi mind trick>

26. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i'm old and do not like change, and it works JUST FINE for
    me...:cool:

27. I have come to the conclusion that as much as Ryan & others try to explain to everyone exactly why the new format,they still want to question why.

Creating the ultimate website aside,regardless what many think he didn't do it just to piss people off!o_O HRP

28. 32 steel

32 steel

i like the old format better

29. I think we've beat this horse to death...the new format is here to stay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.