Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Don Capps

Don Capps

Anyone aware if there will be a 2014 Verizon INDYCAR Historical Record Book published this year? I am curious as to whether/how INDYCAR will continue to mangle history.

2. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Golden Arrow at Daytona film. 1929 this is. Also at the end of the film the Triplex Bible prang on the beach, rather long but very good, please forgive if this is a repetition here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoG4fgAk9S0

3. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

What a time capsule, thanks for sharing!

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Beautiful collection of automotive history there.

5. ebtm3

ebtm3

Get a load of the rocker arms on the Benz---

Herb Kephart

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Also, I wish I knew the secret to how they got the side panels to fit so closely to the header pipes. Much less how they installed the panel too. Beautiful.

7. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

And check out the movie we made based on his book: www.wheretheyraced.com
    tons of old footage and pics

8. Don Capps

Don Capps

The first use of the checked flag in an automotive contest was during the 1906 Glidden Cup tour and it was then used later that year in the Vanderbilt Cup.

1906 Glidden Tour Checkered Flag.jpg

9. Molin61

Molin61
    from Karlshamn

10. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

A motor historian has shown me a 1904 image with a checkerd flag at a finish line, I am afraid that is all I am allowed to say till it is published.

11. Don Capps

Don Capps

Has the image been independently verified as being correctly dated? Some of us have been through this drill in the past, with the image being incorrectly dated. I am not stating that this is not possible, simply that without being verified by an independent/peer reviewer there can be good & sufficient reasons for doubt. Plus, I am always a bit skeptical when such secrecy is involved.

By the way, who is the "motor historian" involved? Or is that secret as well?

12. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

I agree. Not to be a cynical prick, but... ahem... I'll just keep my comments/feelings on that matter to myself.

I'll just say this, hope the author is correct.

saacha, possible that you might share with us what the subject matter of the book is?

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  13. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Every time I log into this board, you can just feel the "love" for one another.

Attached Files:

14. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

I fully understand the points of view expressed, I can assure you it is 1904, you will all see it soon, afraid I was asked to say no more, sorry, though maybe you will forgive me a little with this interesting attach: Agustin Aguaviva in his rear engine midget Ford 60hp V8, I think it amazing, very bizar, how did he ever get in ???.

agustin aguaviva midget ford 60 1947.jpg
    aguaviva  46 rosario.jpg

15. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

First I would like to thank everyone for this wonderful thread. It has been a major influence on my latest project (1930 Chevy boat tail speedster) Here are a couple pictures. I will be driving it next week. We started on Feb. 1, 2014 Thanks, Gary REAR-FINISH-1.jpg SIDE-FINISH-1.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  16. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

17. Don Capps

Don Capps

SAH International Motor Sport History Section

Recently, I was appointed as the chair for the International Motor Sport History Section of the Society of Automotive Historians (SAH).

The serious study of automotive competition history is pretty much under-represented across the board, whether it is classified as being a part of automotive, sports or cultural history.

I am currently using the groundwork that has been established within the SAH and laying out a campaign plan to begin to execute the mission and the goals of the group.

It is my intention that the group be international in its membership and also that the membership be composed of a cross section of those with an interest the serious study of automotive competition history; that is, the membership of the group should be inclusive and not exclusive. Other than membership in the SAH, of course, the only requirement for being a part of the International Motor Sport History Section is an interest in the study of history of auto racing.

There will be more regarding the group as the campaign plan is further developed.

Please consider being a member of this group (and the SAH, of course) once we have the details sorted out.

Thanks,

Don Capps

drtrcrV-8 likes this.
  18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The Peugeot grand prix car from around 1911, was what the miller supposedly copied. And was the birth of the 4 valve DOHC concept still used today with bucket followers. The Offy had keyed followers and radiused tops.

Ago

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The engine in the Fiat looks like a steam engine.

Ago

20. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Did I show you this jem? 404057_406331816099474_1870489792_n.jpg

21. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Maria Antonietta D'Avanzo, italian female driver, was at Indianapolis 1932 in a Miller?
    Can someone tell me something about this, don't see much of this on internet.
    Are there pictures of her there?

Thanks in advance.

22. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

http://speedqueens.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/maria-antonietta-davanzo.html

She had apparently previously lapped the track in a road car, although it's not clear exactly when:
    http://www.bugattipage.com/bqueeste.htm

However, it may not have been 1932 at all - but 1923. See this article by Donatella Biffignandi - who is not often known to be wrong:

http://www.museoauto.it/website/images/stories/articoli/biografie/avanzo_antonietta.pdf

But you probably need a copy of both of these:

http://www.malincommunication.com/oblivio.asp

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

Saacha, Luca Malin from Italy just recently finished a book on the Baroness, entitled Indomita, la straordinaria vita di Maria Antonietta Avanzo. The book is written in Italian and I have translated only small sections of the book. We had corresponded during the time he was writing and I know he is passionate about the topic. The book appears to be first class. There is a chapter on the 1932 trip she made to the states. The newspaper articles seem to indicate the AAA forbade her to run in competition but in the 1932 articles she seemed to indicate that she hoped to compete at Indy in 1933.-Jim

24. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

GREAT STUFF! Someone might want to correct the one photo of "Cliff Durant working on his Durant Special' it is in fact one of the three Bugattis that raced in 1923 at INDY. I'd guess the fellow working on the car is Count Zbrowski. Bob

26. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Yes, it certainly looks like Lou. And unless I'm very much mistaken, he's even wearing the same shirt as he is in this postcard:

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.moodyscollectibles.com/bugatti-race-cars-in-1923-indy-500-old-antique-vintage-postcards/

27. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

... and "German race car driver Christian Werner" is actually Frank Elliott from Missouri...

28. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Looking for some help ID'ing the driver and possibly date of this photo? Is the driver Mel McKee? I'm thinking the date might be 2/28/1932... after Howdy Wilcox's crash and before Spangler got behind the wheel.

[​IMG]

29. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Immediate reaction was, I know this face, but after going through a number of pictures I am no longer sure it's actually a driver - maybe a (movie) celeb for a photo opp? Look at his attire, not really what drivers wore in those days.

I'm pretty sure it's not Mel McKee, nor anyone else I know who drove this car in this configuration during a daytime race (Jan 10 through Apr 10) in 1932. You are, no doubt, aware that's Danny de Paolo himself behind the car, but just in case...