Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. This is awesome and very inspiring. My truck in my picture is a sedan cut into a PU but I still need to do all the fab in the back. It's just mocked up right now. I'm sure I can take some pointers from you.

2. You have so much cool stuff that I would go gay for you. I always thought it would be really cool to do a 41 gasser but run a frame and drivetrain from a m170 or a cj-6 as they have the same wheelbase. You could run slicks in the back but a 6.00-16 in the front and the only thing that would make you look twice would be the front diff.

3. 9sectruck

9sectruck

P1050569.JPG Thanks for all the positive comments and encouragement.
    I've been looking around for some early American Racing 5 spokes to match the front wheels but have found nothing suitable, I've got a pair of 10 x 15 slot mags but really wanted to go with a 5 spoke pattern like the Rockets already on there.
    I managed to score a pair of 10 x 15 American Daisy mags and had them bead blasted and may go with them, not sure if they are going to fit in with the period look of the truck or not(think Daisy Mags were a late 60's wheel) but I like them so may fit some slicks and stand back and take a look.

4. Truck is really looking good. It has found a good home. I like the daisies! Bumper looks cool too. I don't trust the swap meet front axle to hold up to much wheelie action. Looking forward to hearing about your first outing.

5. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Kev, I've tried not to change the look from the outside.
    I'll be on the lookout for a stock Willys axle to swap in at the end of this season.

6. drumyn29

drumyn29

I'll help you get the primer if you still need it!

7. Can't go wrong with slotted mags or chrome reverse. Timeless.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Ray, truck looks great, liking the weight bar.

9. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Hi drumyn29 thanks for your kind offer of helping me to get some Rustoleum primer for the Willys PU.
    I've been told that you can't ship aerosols by air due to being pressurised containers but can't believe everything like that has to go surface mail.
    I'll have to investegate further, if thats the case then it will probably take ages to get here that way, I see you're in Los Angeles and I have a couple of friends on the East coast who may be able to help out and I suppose that would cut the journey time in half at least.
    Thanks again for your offer.

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray,
    Just sent you a private message.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ray I think you take your chances with aerosols by air, I used to get them from Summit Racing no problem at all but one time they got picked up on the x-ray and it didn't go down too well !!!

12. 9sectruck

9sectruck

All sorted now Steve, thanks.

13. 3day

3day
    from UK

Hi Ray, truck looks great. There was a stock Willys axle available on nsra forum recently

14. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks, I'll check out the older ads and see if I can find it.
    Funds are a bit tight at the moment though as most of my budget is going towards running the truck at the drags for this season.

15. simon g-s

simon g-s

Ray, got a stock Willys axle, too wide now for me now as I'm building an Austin so don't need it..PM for you.

16. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Big day yesterday.
    Went to Santa Pod Raceway with a couple of good mates to help out, they were holding a test n tune day so I took the Willys for it's first ever time at the track.
    Had a good day and managed to set everything up on the motor and chassis then even got down the track a couple of times.
    After a drive around the pits and one slow check out pass with no issues I had time to for a couple more runs.
    Took it real easy, just walking it off the line and short shifting around 4000rpm and ran a couple of mid 14's @ 90mph, not bad for the first time out.
    No problems to report, no leaks and the motor seemed fine. Good oil pressure and didn't get too hot either,
    Seemed strange to me to be driving a left hand drive race car and shifting with my right hand too.
    I'll probably go testing again next weekend at North Weald Airstrip which is an old WWII airbase just north of London, concrete runway and not a great deal of traction but another chance to make some noise and do a bit more tuning.
    Here we are on the startline for the first time.
    P1050596 (1080 x 810).jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Ray. Good to see it on the track.

18. simon g-s

simon g-s

an exciting day for you Ray, look forward to seeing it, Nostalgia drags. ??? Or must we wait till Dragstalgia ???

19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Definitely be at the Nostalgia Nats Simon.

20. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Wanda, it was good to get back out there.

ME.GASSER likes this.
  21. I am so happy to see that picture!

waynos likes this.
  22. Bashnscratch

Bashnscratch

Sounds like a great fun day congrats the pickup looks great,, any video by chance to share?

Bash

23. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Me too Kev, more like that to come in the next few weeks.

A mate who was with me shot some, just need to get it from him and upload it.
    Will get some more video next weekend too.

24. Mart

Mart

Well done on the first runs!

That's a great shot in the start area.

Mart.

25. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Back to the track last weekend at a packed North Weald, I was pleased to see another primered Willys Gasser belonging to Dave Wheatley in attendance and got to make a couple of side by side runs and got beat both times.
    Traction is always a bit marginal as it's just a concrete airstrip but a fun place to test n tune.
    Still trying to get the best out of this old stock 396 and am hoping for at least mid to low 13's before I give up and swap in the blown small block thats lurking in the corner.
    All in all a good day and some great photo opportunities.

Nostaglia Nationals coming up in just over a week so hopefully improve a bit more on a fully prepped track.

P1050613 (1080 x 810).jpg P1050616 (1080 x 810).jpg

exterminator likes this.
  26. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Heres a video of me getting my butt kicked at North Weald on Sunday, at least I left first..........o_O

hotrodtodd1960 and justntime like this.
  27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

28. Bashnscratch

Bashnscratch

That's awesome in spite of the spanking.. thanks for sharing. Is that actual orange glass in the PU or is it a film?

Bash

29. 9sectruck

9sectruck

It's Amber Polycarbonate (plexiglass) sides and rear and clear at the front.

30. Bashnscratch

Bashnscratch

Thanks so much for the info. Guess it won't work for the street. too bad.

Bash