Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on Model A window garnish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Because I can, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Because I can

Because I can

I just recently got a '30 5-window Model A Ford coupe (my first), and it does not have the door window garnish. I do have the rear window garnish, and since my coupe has a 3" chop, I noticed the rear window garnish almost fits the door windows with what looks like little modification. Has anyone done this, and if so, does it look good, or would I be wasting my time? I've noticed the door window garnishes are hard to come by, and is there any alternatives?

I'm also wondering how hard it is to make the rear glass roll up and down? Any kits out there?

Many thanks!

DSCF3850.JPG

2. Are you asking about the REAR glass rolling up & down or the quarter glass? There is a kit for the REAR window ...ck the catologs. I found many garnish mouldings at swap meets, not cheap but you can find them.

3. charlieb66

charlieb66

The doors do not have a garnish similar to the rear window. The door only has the single trim piece at the bottom of the window opening. This piece is held on with 4 screws. This is available from the A parts houses.

4. Because I can

Because I can

I wondered if it did have a surround garnish for the door windows, I didn't think so, but when I held up the unchopped garnish for the rear window, it almost fits perfectly on the 3" chopped door window frames. As long as these coupes have been around, I'm curious if anyone ever did it.

Big thanks for the responses!

5. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Because I Can:

Did you get that coupe out of California from some guy named Bill?

6. swsimon

swsimon

Most Model A parts suppliers have a kit for the roll up/down rear window. Not that hard to do and you will find it helps on hot days with air flow. Scott

7. Rogueman

Rogueman

When you find the garnish look for the window seal piece. It fits under the garnish.

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

that roll up window is also an original item; sometimes you can find them on " fordbarn" or in other classifieds like HERE. They aren't cheap, but I imagine between that and the windshield being open,it would create quite a breeze when you're moving. Like people said, no "garnish" on the doors except the bottom trim with the raised "finger pull" in the center and a cap that goes on after glass is in (I didn't put the top trim piece on a sedan I had, and someone rolled the window up because it was raining.Trim also acts as a stop for the glass, and it went up too far, door was closed, and new door glass was shattered. One of those things I was going to do "later"). Good luck with it. Mike from Mass.

9. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Anybody ever make the rear Quarter Window (side) on model a coupe roll up/down?
    Or after all the engineering, would that just look streetroddish?

10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

since we're talking about roll down windows in an A, has anyone ever installed tri-5 chevy vent windows in a model A door? it looks like a perfect fit. ( saw it in R&C, I think)

11. There was a post about a week and a half ago of an a coupe with those vent windows.

12. spooler41

spooler41

Take a look at MAC's and /or Gaslight auto parts catalogs.
    They handle almost every Model A repo and replacement
    part ever made.

......................... Jack