Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cadillac 429 Dual Exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by creepyjackalope, Apr 2, 2014.

1. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Looking for some expert opinions here as I prepare to do the exhaust on my 64 CDV. I want it to sound good but not too loud and to fit the car. What dual exhaust set up would you recommend? This is a 98K original miles stock 429 and this is the car......

[​IMG]

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Depends on the sound you like. If you want it real quiet and no rapping, keep the pipes near stock size and run long glasspacks near the rear of the car out pencil tips. Not generic muffler shop glasspacks, or cherry bombs either, get brockman mellowtones, or porters, in a 24" length or longer if available. If you want it to have a low, quiet rumble at idle, I had some thrush welded mufflers (not turbo mufflers!) on a daily driver that had a nice low burble through 2 1/2" pipes with turndowns at the rear bumper. It had a nice low rumble at idle and was a really mellow tone at cruising speed. It didn't reverberate or rap at all unless my foot was to the floor

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. mattready

mattready
    from colorado

i have a 64 devilee hardtop also. I ordered the aluminized setup from ebay. I talked to a guy at a carshow that was running that setup on a 63 hurse. It had a nice "musclecar" rumble and he said the kit was very well made. I paid $280+ship. I will upload you a video once i get it in and welded up.

4. 327Eric

327Eric

The magnaflows on my 59 ElCamino give a nice mellow tone, and are not too loud. You can always add a set of glasspacks to the rear to work as resonators if you are not happy with whatever choice you make.

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this is my 64..............just rolled 40,000 for the first time last fall. I need to replace my muffler ( original ). Your Caddy looks nice. You might want to approach it with a stock exhaust replacement.

[​IMG]

6. On my '64 SDV, I had Cherry Bombs and stock resonators on it. It took the blat sound out of the 'Bombs and was pretty quiet inside.

Bob

7. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Good input so far. I have been looking at Brockmans and Porters and think that is probably the way I will go. I know I dont want the Flowmaster sound, I want it to sound like someone did the exhaust in 1964. It needs to sound good and remain classy!

8. txturbo

txturbo

I just put an aluminized stock single exhaust on my 63. It kinda has that tinny lopey idle sound you get with headers but is fairly quiet. I didn't want anything loud. I like it so much I ordered another one for the 56. Got it from classic exhaust. Or you could just buy your own mufflers and take it to an exhaust shop.

9. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

I went with some 30" Brockmans and it sounds great. Exits are slash tips tucked under the rear bumper so they are hardly visible. Has a nice rumble at idle but not too loud. Just right. Thanks all for the input.

10. Jeff Sutherland

Jeff Sutherland

Did you go with the glass or steel packing?