Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Just a Ratty Ole 50 Chevy PU / VIDEO UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart36, May 19, 2014.

1. 1950 Chevy Short Bed PU

Was eyeballin this truck and spent alot of time last weekend on a rod run with the owner. It's now mine.

The truck is approx. a year old build. The body has been channelled on to a late model chevy (99) chassis. Built 383 Stroker motor, 700R(4) tranny, 273 rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last Friday, Ron Meyers spent the day at my place. This was the first step in what is planned for the truck. A couple pics of some of his work on the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The green wheels are a little much for me, so Rocket Grey "Igniter" wheels are on the way.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    50scotbolt likes this.
  2. Did they narrow the late model frame? The late model p/u track width is way wider but your tires tuck nicely in the fenders. This isn't usually the case. I agree with you, tone down the green and you've got a killer little truck!

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I think the thread name is misleading , I see a pretty decent driver truck id be happy to drive , enjoy it

4. It's a late model S-10, cut to the wheel base of the truck. No norrowing.

5. Just being a bit of a smart ass. Love the truck, just making the changes that fit me. Drives great and is a real keeper.

6. dan sutton

dan sutton

Pretty cool truck.

7. With the OD trans and 2.73 rear gears you will be going like 80 mph at 1700 rpms! Or something around that, the 383 will need all of its low end. It will still drive fine, just be a freeway flier!

I like the pinstriping and the planned change to the wheels. Truck looks good overall, congrats on the purchase.

8. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Nice truck...any interrior pics? You need to post it up on the AD social group.

9. You are correct, been driving the truck getting use to it, I don't think there is a top-end to this dude. I must admit though, you wind up the 2500 stall converter, and she gets out of the hole suprisingly well. The next 2 gears are a dance, then she settles in and pulls for the long hall in overdrive.

10. Interior pic.

What's the AD social group, all my years on the board and haven't heard of that one.

[​IMG]

Rcraft likes this.
  11. OH those green wheels are gone!! New Rocket "Igniters". 16" rear, 15" front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hdonlybob and 50scotbolt like this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool truck. 100% better with those wheels.

13. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

agreed

14. Muttley

Muttley

And a Three Window............ten times cooler than the Five Window version.

50scotbolt likes this.
  15. now, lose the visor....or at least crank it down in front, the way it sits isn't helpin much,
    those wheels have a performance look to em, performance cars don't run visors; visors fit best on lowriders or stockers.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  16. What a diffence new 'shoes' can make,I didn't mind the Rallye wheels but the colour was a bit off for my taste but you've nailed it now imo. Nice truck!

17. Muttley

Muttley

I thought I was the only one who hated those things.

18. Muttley,considering most folks go nuts for visors,i'm with you on this one. I'm 6'4" and have a hard enough time seeing traffic lights as it is. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a visor. Ditto on the 3 window as well.

19. Sorry guys, but the visor stays. I'm one of those guys that like em on a lowered non stock chevy.

50scotbolt likes this.
  20. New wheels are much improved over the old rally wheels.

21. Thanks guys. I'm lovin this old bomb

22. jhutch713

jhutch713

That truck is rad...wheels are great...I might even paint the dash/cab grey to match the wheels.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No fortunately you are alone in not liking those ugly things that guys seem to think make their trucks and cars "traditional: when in the 50's and 60's only certain elements of the human order ran them and shall remain nameless. The first thing a real car guy did when he bought a car with one was take the damned ugly thing off and throw it in the scrap pile. Now these guys are paying a fortune for imitations of those things.

What I really can't understand now is why guys put them on with mag wheels or forbid those big ugly dubs and think they have done something. Have all the Bomb gear that goes with the visors including the proper hub caps and wide wide whitewalls and having the tail dragging and 15 extra pieces of bolted on chrome from a Suburban and it's pretty cool but putting on mag wheels with a sunvisor is like a fat 45 year old white guy wearing his hat backwards and his pants sagging below his butt and thinking he is cool.

NOPSI likes this.
  24. Well Hell, Chris, you were serious about getting a cruiser weren't you? I like it! Did you get rid of the A?

25. I'll bet when they went from 31 flavors to 36, that pissed ya off too!!!

26. Hey there Jim. Had a blast with you all in Dewey, glad to see ya survived. It was time, loved the 29, but wanted some comfort. Now travel is not having to stop every 100 miles to stretch back out, and the term lugauge (spelling) could not even be mentioned. Heck with this thing, I can even pull my enclosed bike trailer along if I want to.

27. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Love my visor on a stock height '49. No ac and anytime you keep mr. sun from the inside of your truck that's a good thing.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I just want to be like everyone else, and be different.

Your truck,your visor.keep it.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  29. Exactly!!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just like someone to show me a feature of a real custom car or truck in a little book or any other real rod and custom or Rodding and Restyling type of magazine from the 50's or early 60's that showed a custom or hot rod of any kind with an added on sun visor of any kind. I've got hundreds of magazines from that era and not one featoures what we consider a traditional rod or custom that has an added on visor on it. They didn't show up until the Bombs or Bombas of the L A area started hitting main stream media.