Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sbc mini starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59 brook, May 20, 2014.

1. 59 brook

59 brook

hi after installing my new engine the brand new summit mini starter has crapped out, so i would rather get one from a major parts house with a lifetime warranty. can someone tell me what chevy had a small block with the inline bolt holes using a mini or gear reduction starter thanks

2. I'm not sure, but it could be corvette had a mini starter. If the starter you have is a less expensive model,-I have found that you have to make sure that the drive gear and flywheel match up perfect. The one in my roadster has 3 shims in it to get it right, and works great. I'm not sure what GM starter will cost, but I know a good Tilton or MSD starter will cost over $300.00 JUST SAYING

3. 59 brook

59 brook

my only real reason for a big store is the warranty , hopefully they have a brand new lifetime warranty, i would have bought a msd or something but the problem for me is i drive all over and a msd replacement can leave me stranded for a day while it is fed exed to me but at least a pepboys or autozone should have something in stock

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure about what model, but around '96 Chevy came out with factory mini starters, so you'll want to look at that year or later. The straight pattern will be a 153 tooth flywheel, so might not be found in HD applications like a HD truck, or Corvette. I'd look at 1/2 ton PU trucks. You'll also find they used both 9 tooth and 11 tooth, but both will fit the same engines and flywheels, so don't let that spook you.

5. 59 brook

59 brook

seems as though the inline bolts starter weren't factory gm but aftermarket , so i wound up with a powermaster 9100 from pep boys with a 1 yr warranty for $109

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The inline bolt pattern starters were for the smaller 153 tooth flywheel, the staggered bolt pattern starters were for the larger 168 tooth flywheel/flexplates both were factory, there was a high torque
    factory GM starter besides the later mini starter.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The LT1 corvettes (1992-1996) use a Denso style mini starter with gear reduction.

8. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

For a 168 tooth flywheel. (staggered mount holes) SBC & BBC
    In looking for one to turn my 11.25:1 compression 454 BBC I was in the same boat, mini starters were expensive with little to no warranty (or you've gotta ship um out) So i did allota research to find a good OEM type replacement with more cranking power.
    I sourced one from a 2000 chevy 3500 truck with a 7.4L
    The auto zone part number (P/N 9990S) is what i used.
    It's a gear reduction "mini" starter. much smaller that the original delco. Which is good for header clearance and about 7lbs lighter.
    Also, these starters used metric bolts originally, So go get yourself 2ea bolts from the GM dealer (P/N 12338064) cost $1,50ea these will let you properly mount that starter to your GM block. It works fantastically on mine, for the last 3 years. the cranking difference is night and day! and its got a lifetime warranty from a store i can find on the road.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    john potter and 51woodie like this.
  9. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

heres a side by side of the old stock delco (which would barely crank my engine over) and the new style type I found. Get yourself two of those bolts too, they've got the right knurling and threads. I Couldn't be happier with this set up
    it took me like a month to find the right starter, let alone the bolts to work. i even bought 3 pairs of bolts in case i can't find um later or for my buddies upgrades.:D

Good luck bud.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    john potter likes this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

But he was looking for a 153 straight pattern, not offset 168 pattern.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Also a 168 offset starter, not straight pattern.

12. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

true, but some of the "aftermarket" gear reduction starters(he said it was from summit) have a pattern that is straight across and have multiple holes to use with both size flywheels. We need to figure out is he really does have smaller 153

13. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Ahhhhh Yup, I missed that part

14. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

You guys are fucked! The OP posted YESTERDAY that he found what he needed at Pep Boys, or whatever shitty chain stores you guys have down there for 109$...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

yea well...I already posted, so...No take backs!

16. 51woodie

51woodie

Thanks johmysbic-
    Did this today. Works great on my '48.
    SBC 350 '78