Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 v conversion and BW OD help, please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dukelog11, May 20, 2014.

1. Dukelog11

Dukelog11

Gents, first off, I looked carefully, and I think this is the proper forum for my question. Second, I searched the archives for prior threads on this topic, but I didn't find precisely what I need.

What I have: 1950 Mercury. Flathead motor, stock distributor with Petronix internals and MSD coil. In this set up, there is a black and red wire coming from the distributer, which go to the + & - poles of the coil. I ran all new wires throughout the car using AAW set, and I am trying to get the OD wired up. I have seen some diagrams, but I can't figure out exactly what I should do.

For one thing, I have two posts on my OD. I don't know which is which. I have replacement wiring using original factory colors, but I am unable to find a diagram that shows the proper color wires. Additionally, the wiring diagrams I have thus far found do not specify which post on the OD the wires go to, or which side of the coil the wires go to. I hope someone can understand what I am babbling about.

I had the transmission gone through, and it all works. The OD also works, and there is connectivity in the governor. All should be ok if I can get it wired.

I need some advice. Any help will be appreciated.

2. If it were mine I would wire it one way and if it didn't work i would switch the wires. it is just a solenoid and a quick click and listen should let you know if you got it right.

Apart from that I don't recall which is which but there should be a pos or neg mark on it if you look really close.

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

you can go on google and find a lot of info on bw overdrives, what I did on mine was have the solenoid in the trans and take a hot wire to one if it clicks in that's the one you need. if not try the other wire.

4. Call 5th ave Internet garage.I think they are a vendor on here.

5. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

6. 24riverview

24riverview

On the transmission solenoid, terminal closest to transmission (look closely, may be marked 4) goes to the relay. The other one (marked 6 ?) goes to the kickdown switch. Normally you would have a wire from the kickdown switch to the negative (distributor) side of the engine coil but that would be for a points system not sure if it would have the same effect or be good for the Pertronix. Seem to recall a discussion of the igntion issue in the past.

7. 24riverview

24riverview